Midfield to Attack still a work in progress

BigBearButt

We look absolutely solid in defence and the defensive side of the game but creativity and at times surrendering possession easily is frustrating.

Tonight was worrying how easily our midfield dropped away. Kamara for me was man of the match as he was the only effective midfielder for us.

Who is your starting 3 in midfield? for me thats the area which we seem weakest and the lack of creativity isnt helping whoever the front three is.

5 minutes ago, BigBearButt said:

We look absolutely solid in defence and the defensive side of the game but creativity and at times surrendering possession easily is frustrating.

Tonight was worrying how easily our midfield dropped away. Kamara for me was man of the match as he was the only effective midfielder for us.

Who is your starting 3 in midfield? for me thats the area which we seem weakest and the lack of creativity isnt helping whoever the front three is.

Arfield has been excellent recently but was quiet tonight. Looked to me like he was running on empty. Davis is about done.

As for the front three, not one of them is on form. I also still think we’re desperate for a quick winger who can give us a different type of threat.

I feel like Davis and Arfield still have a lot to offer but shouldnt be starters week in week out. Davis in particular seems to struggle with the playing schedule. I said in another thread he really needs to retire from international football if he is serious about prolonging his Rangers career in respect of playing most games for us. 

Really interested to see Zungu and what he will offer. Potential for Kamara, Zungu and Aribo in midfield?

I don't see a problem with the midfield, ok may have been a bit sluggish tonight but up until tonight they have been doing just fine and most would have picked them for tonight, my main concern right now is the form of Kent, I love how he doesn't try to hide but nothing seems to be working for him just now so maybe a little rest might be needed, with Roofe starting to get up to speed maybe we could try him in Kents position with Alfredo main striker, Arfield was playing a little deeper tonight and that doesn't suit him but with Aribo fit again it gives us another option and we still have to see what Zunga has to offer.

Would like to see Kamara or Jack  , Aribo and Hagi against the majority of sides in the spfl. Hagi needs to be playing behind the front 3 to be effective. This also allows a front 3 of Kent, Morelos , Roofe which I think is our strongest by far. 

In Europe and tougher spfl games Davis would be in there and Aribo behind the front 3. No idea what Zungu offers so haven't included him.

First half I agree but we were a different animal second half.

To say it’s ‘worrying’ is a little bit of a knee jerk. Don’t get me wrong we should continue to demand high standards across the pitch but let’s also keep some perspective. 

17 games played

15 won

14 clean sheets

Domestically, I think we'll do well with Kamara, Davis and Arfield/Aribo. Tonight, Davis and Arfield struggled a bit and either Kent or Hagi had to drop deeper, and it broke our rhythm. If we're going with 2 DM's one of them has to be Davis imo. Zungu is an unknown entity so we can't say he's going to just slot in there. 

It's working out fine though, so not really a problem just now. Would love Kent to start getting in about the goals again though. 

Gerrard is being loyal to the recent success of Arfield/Davis/Kamara and I understand that however I believe we have a better mix in the waiting. 

But why change a winning formula?

And let's wait to see about Zungu.

I don't think we are a work in progress. I think we are doing incredibly well.

For me Aribo was the man of the match in most of the games at the start of the season, and I think he was maybe the key of why we looked so good going forward the first few games. 

Think if we switch back to 4231 with hagi/roofe, Aribo and Kent behind Morelos it could see us firing again

Think we are confusing a tough game with us being bad. We can't walk over every team and we can't expect players to look 10/10 every game either. 

I'd say we haven't even been great the last few weeks but still churning out clean sheets and results. Thats something we haven't done for years.

23 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

Think we are confusing a tough game with us being bad. We can't walk over every team and we can't expect players to look 10/10 every game either. 

I'd say we haven't even been great the last few weeks but still churning out clean sheets and results. Thats something we haven't done for years.

Agree with this.  A 1-0 home win with zero shots on our goal in the group stages of Europa was unthinkable recently.  Just getting in the Europa seemed a fairy tale!  Delighted with the team and if we keep this form up then we will win plenty.

Archived