Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

2 hours ago, Howsitgoing said:

The review indicates that one of the coaches that mocked the kid abused by Neely causing him to leave our club is still active within Scottish football. That shouldn’t be the case. 

I think he needs investigated to get his side of the story but again the mocking and bullying was probably usual behaviours compared to today’s standards. Our PE and Techy teachers in secondary used to want to go ahead with you as they were nuts and I’m sure some of the teachers both in PS and Secondary enjoyed giving you the belt across the hands. On that subject I do think the belt should be brought back as should hanging.

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

No. That falls on several different parties. However I do believe that Rangers' actions weren't enough to ensure he couldn't continue offending - while also doing pathetically little to support victims, then or now. 

That responsibility surely would not be down to Rangers,we sacked him. Surely that would be down to Neely himself and the legal authorities. 

It is truly awful if we did not support the victims, (was there more than one ?), but again, were we legally obliged to ?

(Not asking to excuse these actions, just clarifying the legal responsibilities.)

Just now, Bad Robot said:

I think he needs investigated to get his side of the story but again the mocking and bullying was probably usual behaviours compared to today’s standards. Our PE and Techy teachers in secondary used to want to go ahead with you as they were nuts and I’m sure some of the teachers both in PS and Secondary enjoyed giving you the belt across the hands. On that subject I do think the belt should be brought back as should hanging.

I just missed the belt it was banned only a year or two before I reached secondary school age but some of the teacher took pleasure in showing us it if we miss behaved.

It’s a shame they weren’t made aware of the others abused by Neely, what happened to them had no grey area whatsoever, only a paedo could do what he seemingly did. The fact he wanted to spank a kids bare behind should of still resulted in Rangers looking further into his activities,we did fail in our duty of care. 

12 minutes ago, the cry was no said:

Dude, you have come up with some good stuff on occasions and, in your other persona, some contrarian bollocks in what appears to be an attempt to be controversial, relevant or just to needle.

But the above question is actually offensive. Trying to conflate a Rangers great's departure from football management (not from the game as he has a very high profile media career that you seem to be missing - and I don't recall Gordon Neely's top level media career - and also Ally has had several offers to return to management which he's declined for various reasons) and the thankful removal of a heinous piece of shit from the Scottish game is quite frankly shameful.

If I was Ally and I knew who you were, which he may well do, the next time I met you I'd put my toe through your scrotum.

For someone with an (understandable) aversion to get involved in discussions on CSA your contributions in the past few hours are bizarre.

Your comment on McCoist goes beyond bizarre to disgraceful imo

You seem to have completely missed the point.

Neely not working again in football is being used as some sort of poof that we made sure he wasn't employable. While that MAY be the case, there's nothing which back it up. Neely may well have found other, more profitable, "business interests" which provided more for him than a youth coaching role in football - like McCoist has since returning to broadcasting.

Neely's lack of employment within the game (at a professional level at least) doesn't back up anything.

No aversion to getting involved in discussions on CSA. I do have an aversion to writing articles on it professionally as there are far more legal implications.

Just now, tannerall said:

That responsibility surely would not be down to Rangers,we sacked him. Surely that would be down to Neely himself and the legal authorities. 

It is truly awful if we did not support the victims, (was there more than one ?), but again, were we legally obliged to. 

(Not asking to excuse these actions, just clarifying the legal responsibilities.)

While we may not be legally obliged to, there's certainly a moral (and possible a regulatory) obligation there to report it not just to the polis but also to our own professional governing bodies.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

While we may not be legally obliged to, there's certainly a moral (and possible a regulatory) obligation there to report it not just to the polis but also to our own professional governing bodies.

If only the legal system and professional bussineses, even the police, were obliged to do the right thing morally, would have brought the bad folk to account earlier.

We informed the police, he was sacked. Legally the obligation is with the police and the prosecution services by that stage, probably not us.  

If only the legal system and professional bussineses, even the police, were obliged to do the right thing morally, would have brought the bad folk to account earlier.

We informed the police, he was sacked. Legally the obligation is with the police and the prosecution by that stage, probably not us.  

Can I ask why we then expect others to do the right thing morally but us, not so much

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Can I ask why we then expect others to do the right thing morally but us, not so much

Personal interest and bias, basically human nature for better or worse. 

There'll even  be folk of low moral standards who respect and enable others with low moral standards.

21 hours ago, Tiger Shaw said:

The dude has on a number of occasions stated he doesn’t want to talk or write about child abuse but at every opportunity jumps in to say aye but what about Rangers 

I find this a bit strange tbh 

To quote him directly it's 'fucking bizarre'.

Personal interest and bias, basically human nature for better or worse. 

There'll even  be folk of low moral standards who respect others with low moral standards.

Sorry, but that's not good enough for me and seems, in a round about way that it's essentially down to point scoring.

Just now, Junior Soprano said:

Stop being a spazzy

Moral standards are very impoortant. 

They give you respect and credibility.

Words like "spazzy" and "paedo" should not be used with intent to degrade others. Unlike morals, just the simple use of words in a context, can cause a lot of problems, even legal.

Especially on a thread about child abuse.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

By reporting the issue to the police and, given that the victims father was a policeman, I'm not sure what else we could do beyond that other than inform other clubs which, given his disappearance from the game, there is a decent chance we did. The incident which we were aware of at the time appears to involve a threatened spanking which went no further with the police. We were hardly in a position to end all future career avenues for him but could probably have put the word round the game that he was a wrong one, best avoided.

Again conflating what we did do (and perhaps we could have done more, but it's not glaringly obvious to me what more we could do) and (at the risk of being accused of missing the point) the systematic cover up of decades of abuse involving probably hundreds of kids to protect the "good name" of the club is again bizarre.

Juxta positioning McCoist and Neely and then Rangers and celtic on these matters is strange imo

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Sorry, but that's not good enough for me and seems, in a round about way that it's essentially down to point scoring.

It's not good enough for you, if not all of us, I respect that. 

And yes, there will be  point scoring., that is a part of human nature, just like calling folk names for effect. 

Folk will choose where they draw their  line. I draw it at terms like "nappy rippers" being used with regard  to other fans on here for example.

The lack of investigation in this inquiry is also abhorrent. I don’t know the legal power they have but surely they could of went to HMRC to find out what N.I contributions was paid in to see if other clubs employed him or what he did after Rangers dismissed him. 

14 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Has anyone read where Neely went for employment? surely some journalists have done a bit of digging?

Just now, the cry was no said:

By reporting the issue to the police and, given that the victims father was a policeman, I'm not sure what else we could do beyond that other than inform other clubs which, given his disappearance from the game, there is a decent chance we did. The incident which we were aware of at the time appears to involve a threatened spanking which went no further with the police. We were hardly in a position to end all future career avenues for him but could probably have put the word round the game that he was a wrong one, best avoided.

Again conflating what we did do (and perhaps we could have done more, but it's not glaringly obvious to me what more we could do) and (at the risk of being accused of missing the point) the systematic cover up of decades of abuse involving probably hundreds of kids to protect the "good name" of the club is again bizarre.

Juxta positioning McCoist and Neely and then Rangers and celtic on these matters is strange imo

Inform other clubs, inform the relvant governing bodies within the sport, provide somesort of support and after care for alleged victims, not wish him well in an official club publication

Just now, Howsitgoing said:

The lack of investigation in this inquiry is also abhorrent. I don’t know the legal power they have but surely they could of went to HMRC to find out what N.I contributions was paid in to see if other clubs employed him or what he did after Rangers dismissed him. 

I don't believe they had to power to do so.

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You seem to have completely missed the point.

Neely not working again in football is being used as some sort of poof that we made sure he wasn't employable. While that MAY be the case, there's nothing which back it up. Neely may well have found other, more profitable, "business interests" which provided more for him than a youth coaching role in football - like McCoist has since returning to broadcasting.

Neely's lack of employment within the game (at a professional level at least) doesn't back up anything.

No aversion to getting involved in discussions on CSA. I do have an aversion to writing articles on it professionally as there are far more legal implications.

I got into a long, drawn out thread years ago with a scum supporter on another forum in a galaxy far, far away whose approach was the same as yours.

His point was that, as there is no electronic or physical copy of a police report from Rangers about Neely, then we must never have reported it. No amount of explaining that times were very different then, nor the fact that the boy’s dad was a copper (therefore the police did know) would break through his hatred.

You sound more and more like him with every post.

Just now, The Dude said:

I don't believe they had to power to do so.

What’s the point of the inquiry if it has no legal powers whatsoever. The only conclusive part of the inquiry is that all the clubs weren’t aware of what was going on at the time, tells you all you need to know about it’s true objective. 

Just now, Colin Traive said:

I got into a long, drawn out thread years ago with a scum supporter on another forum in a galaxy far, far away whose approach was the same as yours.

His point was that, as there is no electronic or physical copy of a police report from Rangers about Neely, then we must never have reported it. No amount of explaining that times were very different then, nor the fact that the boy’s dad was a copper (therefore the police did know) would break through his hatred.

You sound more and more like him with every post.

His approach was that every club should face up to the allegations in their past and do what is right by the victims? Not sure what there is to disagree in that approach tbh.

Archived