Scottish football clubs urged to apologise for historical child sex abuse

Bad Robot

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

I'll say it again mate.
The collective shaming is a ploy to ease the burden on a club who are sitting there with thier fingers in their ears.
At this moment in time i am 100% positive Rangers board will be taking legal advice on this,and when the time is right we will accept all responsibility expected of us.

I can’t disagree with anything what you’ve wrote and yes it’s collective shaming with a purpose.

15 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It’s not beyond reason that the father and a few of his mates gave neely a late night visit 

Very possible back in the day, wouldn't happen so much now but summary justice was dished out frequently back then. I hope they kicked his cunt in.

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

May or may not be so. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be self critical of the way we, as a part of society, did things in the past.

Maybe folk didn't report these things, but that was wrong. I mean, we were all willing to say 'all you needed to do was pick up the phone' before now. Were we all just point scoring or did we believe it?

People did not report these things, police ignored domestics, racial abuse abounded, queer folk were prosecuted, folk like bank managers, doctors, lawyers, were believed to have higher morals, most folk wore best clothes or suit to see themand usually made to feel intimidated by their authority, which was usually unquestionable. Help lines were almost non existant.  Sexual abuse at schools,care homes and churches and chapels and probably football clubs was seldom documented.

2 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Honestly not going to get drawn on this Inigo.
The club said it WAS reported to the police,and that is why the police said they had no records of any report.
Are people assuming it was bacause his Dad was an officer and that was who it was reported to has caused the confusion.
But i believe the person who stated we reported this by the rule of law.

I want to know for sure mate. I want people at the club spoken with and their answers published in no uncertain terms. I want to be sure. I want to know exactly where we went wrong, or exactly how well we dealt with it. Maybe we did report it. But we need to be clear and unequivocal about what we did, otherwise there's always going to be doubt.

1 minute ago, tannerall said:

People did not report these things, police ignored domestics, racial abuse abounded, queer folk were prosecuted, folk like bank managers, doctors, lawyers, were believed to have higher morals, most folk wore best clothes or suit to see them. Sexual abuse at schools,care homes and churches and chapels and probably football clubs was seldom documented.

Doesn't change what I said. Wouldn't use that to excuse it for anyone else, nor should we for ourselves.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I want to know for sure mate. I want people at the club spoken with and their answers published in no uncertain terms. I want to be sure. I want to know exactly where we went wrong, or exactly how well we dealt with it. Maybe we did report it. But we need to be clear and unequivocal about what we did, otherwise there's always going to be doubt.

Well said, and that applies to all the others too.

And if we do this, I will respect our present club and board  all the more for it

2 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

Very possible back in the day, wouldn't happen so much now but summary justice was dished out frequently back then. I hope they kicked his cunt in.

The cunts i knew of that got a beating never stopped them.
But i'm positive the ones who meted out the punishment felt better after it. 

It goes without saying the whole thing is abhorrent, as a new father myself, all bets are off when it comes to the protection of your children and making sure they come to no harm. However, surely the law needs to run its course in each case? As soon as compensation is mentioned, you will undoubtedly get chancers claiming they were also abused. Naive if you think otherwise, modern society is now very much ingrained in the 'where there's blame, there's a claim culture'. Do we just believe everybody that makes an accusation? That's not how things work in a democracy, thankfully. If a court of law finds that Rangers were negligible and abuse took place at our club I would be the first to say victims should be rightfully compensated and a wholesome apology given but until such time that the accusations are proven then it would be wrong to make assumptions. 

I often think with  these historic cases, why has the individual not said anything before? If it affected your life that much why have you waited 20/30 years to report it? I'm not making light of it and perhaps that's a very simplistic view to take and it's actually far more complex than that in reality. 

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Doesn't change what I said. Wouldn't use that to excuse it for anyone else, nor should we for ourselves.

It's inexcusable, but it happened.  That is why we need a thorough investigation to find ourt what else was ignored or swept aside, especially by the authorities.

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Might be tough to get the answers you want. People around at that time could be  very old or even dead. 

2 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I often think with  these historic cases, why has the individual not said anything before? If it affected your life that much why have you waited 20/30 years to report it. I'm not making light of it and perhaps that's a very simplistic view to take and it's far more complex than that. 

That is what abusers do,and that is to shame the abuser into silence.
Quite sure Gordon Woods only came forward in the last couple of years and his abuse took place around 1967/68.
Just imagine carrying that inside your head that length of time,and seeing him speak about what happened,you see a man who is clear in what took place.
He seems to be quite level headed and articulate in what happened. 

3 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I often think with  these historic cases, why has the individual not said anything before? If it affected your life that much why have you waited 20/30 years to report it. I'm not making light of it and perhaps that's a very simplistic view to take and it's far more complex than that. 

There ar lots of phsycological reasons for this, its more common than you think.

Also possible they did say something, but did not have the confidence, communication skills, or credibility, or quit simply were never given correct advice or help. Again this is common, even today.

Quite simply most folk don't report abuse

1 minute ago, scottyscott1963 said:

That is what abusers do,and that is to shame the abuser into silence.
Quite sure Gordon Woods only came forward in the last couple of years and his abuse took place around 1967/68.
Just imagine carrying that inside your head that length of time,and seeing him speak about what happened,you see a man who is clear in what took place.
He seems to be quite level headed and articulate in what happened. 

In hindsight maybe I shouldn't have made that comment about something so serious when I haven't walked a mile in those shoes. So I apologise if anyone takes offence to that. 

14 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Agreed bud,  pretty much what I was saying, cut the bollox and help these people.

We definitely should apologise and acknowledge failings that allowed the individual to be involved in our club. Unfortunately this individual is innocent until proven guilty. This inquiry had the power to make conclusions that the individual was indeed a paedo but Rangers don’t, they can’t just say yes every accusations from the witnesses is beyond accusations and are indeed conclusive that Neely is a paedophile. I can’t see where they conclusively say that he was a paedophile and we need that. 

14 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

A bit like shutting the stable door when the horse has bolted.

Its all very political. Even something as serious as CA turns into a popularity contest. 

All eyes and scrunity will soon be on us because, with doing nothing, we've still done as much as the previously mentioned clubs, but in a worse way. 

So are we the odd one out right now with regards to at least acknowledging the report?

The club had plenty of time yesterday in amongst their shitey app launch to get something organised. Taking this length of time to sort our shit out is unacceptable.

This entire affair has brought a dark cloud over the club and it’s disgusting to think that we’re sitting with our feet up, waiting to see how everyone else twists before releasing a statement. I’ve never been so disappointed by the club in my entire life, this whole thing is horrible for everyone affected and we should be making immediate moves to restore faith and resolve the situation we’ve created by being inadequate in our support and safeguarding of our youths.

The first paedo the Sun name is Harry Dunn with the title Rangers scout but then go on to say that any alleged offences were carried out at other places of employment. Also in those days(no idea about present day) scouts were rarely employed by clubs and were usually freelance and did business for numerous clubs at same time. It’s not been proved one way or other why Neely was chased or if police were informed but a lot more should be made of the fact that the scum reinstated a well known pervert and gave him the run of paedodome.

11 minutes ago, ScottBF2 said:

So are we the odd one out right now with regards to at least acknowledging the report?

The club had plenty of time yesterday in amongst their shitey app launch to get something organised. Taking this length of time to sort our shit out is unacceptable.

This entire affair has brought a dark cloud over the club and it’s disgusting to think that we’re sitting with our feet up, waiting to see how everyone else twists before releasing a statement. I’ve never been so disappointed by the club in my entire life, this whole thing is horrible for everyone affected and we should be making immediate moves to restore faith and resolve the situation we’ve created by being inadequate in our support and safeguarding of our youths.

How the fuck are we the odd one out? You don’t just rush out with statements when it’s unclear if we were even guilty of anything although your over dramatics assume otherwise. The fucking report took how long and it also took an eternity to publish it,most is unsubstantiated allegations but you want Rangers to rush out a statement 5 mins afterwards. The only dark cloud is 9n your head mate.

6 minutes ago, King Jela said:

What is the story regarding Nelly? The stories I'ce heard say he was put on the ban list and never worked as a coach again after us? 

Something stopped him from working again within football clubs that the SFA remit covers. If SFA doesn’t have a situation where if employees of clubs are dismissed they should then be automatically informed on this dismissal then they should. If that happened that might confirm where the story of the ban list comes from. 

It time for calms heads as obviously this whole subject is absolutely fucking abhorrent.

What I will say though is Rangers should, if they havent already, look into these allegations and do whatever outcome is right. If that’s an apology and compensation then that’s what should happen. 

but I have no problem with our clubs current silence IF it is because we are hopefully seeking legal advice. Who knows we may be also be asking questions as to why without ANY prior convictions we are almost the headline club in the report and the tabloids before commenting. At this moment in time I’m happy to give the club the benefit of the doubt. 

To be honest I'm surprised that some Rangers fans on here are jumping down the clubs throat when the report was only released 24 hours ago. Who needs fucking enemies....

Archived