How Stubborn do we think Gio will be going forward?

The true baller

I'm my opinion GVB watched the Hibs debacle and thought he'd have to make us harder to beat. His first mistake was to curtail our full backs . Both have very limited defensive ability and both have been subdued since GVB'S arrival. His second mistake was to put Kent on the touchline without overlapping fullback to give him more options. His third mistake was to think Kamara could be trusted as a sitter when we all know he needs someone beside him and is also prone to giving away possession in dangerous areas. His fourth mistake is sadly in his nature where he becomes too cautious when in a lead and also when he came up with the tim "gameplan" to "weather the storm" . My advice is simple , take the shackles off and get into them for 90 mins instead of managing the game as he did v Hearts instead of going for more, rant over.

Manager and tactics aside , team selection will say a lot for Sunday. Three or four players at least could have no complaints if they are benched for tomorrow. It’s nothing to do with stubbornness, but how ruthless will GVB be. He’s not that  long in the door and will still be getting to know the players properly, tho on Wednesdays showing, he should have learnt quite a bit. On the flip side, he needs to watch he doesn’t lose the dressing room because there’s never anyway back from that.

On 04/02/2022 at 18:10, The true baller said:

I think (hope) he will be pretty open to changing some things. Not just in terms of personnel but formation/style, I can't say I kept up with his management stints elsewhere but would be curious to know about this side of him.

I realize he must be a good enough manager to do what he did in Holland so surely he has to see what we're all seeing? Hopefully he can see it now and fix it whilst they bastards are easily catchable. Starting Sunday.

Concern for me is how celtic play.  Especially the other night.

I know we shouldn't be overly concerned about our opponent.  You could argue that the blueprint to beat a team that flood forward 100 miles an hour is to sit deep and counter. But it's clearly not the answer and that's the biggest concern from me.

We as a team have been here before but with a different manager. The management team previously learned quicky that the sit deep and soak up play doesn't work.  This celtic team appear to be more relentless and the although I'm no football manager, the only tactics that will work, in my opinion, is fighting fire with fire. Get in their faces with a high press, force them to make mistakes, break up play and win second balls.

The last thing any fan wants to see is their team give up the lions share of possession at will and more so against their biggest rivals.

We can only hope Gio's realises this sitting back and making them look like superstart (under this new fast tempo) style of play is not going to be accepted by the fans..  A quick example would be Greg Taylor.  A decent (nothing more) left back who was made to look like a superstar along with the rest of them as we sat back and let them come at us wave after wave...  We shouldn't be afraid of players like ex Kilmarnock Greg Taylor with all due respect.

Sit back against any decent player and they will eventually punish you.  Hetate scored two goals, the second was excellent but he had space and time to measure both the first and the second goal.  No player, playing against Rangers should have that kind of space and time to shoot.  Unacceptable.

2 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Hopefully he has the sense to learn from his mistakes ... there could be 4 old firm games in as many months with the 2 cups and I think 4 more performances like that would just about finish him 

Is there a new cup competition that I don't know about? 

5 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Must have slapped it that hard you forgot how to spell completely :lol:

Smelling was never my strong point :lol:

I think it's living beside Hampden that does it when the streets are full of them u just sort of close the door and switch off :mutley:

7 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

Fact of the matter, sneaky g fucked off out the back door, within a week, GVB was in with his team, the squad was 7 points clear in the league, we are now 2 points behind.

Today will tell us how this season is going to go.

Over to you GVB.

We’re a point behind. Also iirc we weren’t 7 points infront as Gio only lost his first league game on Wednesday. 

13 hours ago, tm91 said:

Gio's tactics had logic to it. It may have worked had we played with two defensive midfielders who could close down the space and track runners. It'd work with any decent side who were disciplined and could defend. The issue is that we're not good enough defensively to do what Gio wanted and the selection was awful - tracking runners and closing space isn't Kamara's game and he was a headless chicken.

The bolded is what you do. more or less. You don't necessarily fight fire with fire, but you let them have the ball, then sit 15 or so yards further up the pitch than we did on Wednesday, press high and often, break up their play, and push them back with quick counters. You let celtic go 100mph and tire themselves out in less dangerous areas of the pitch, and then dominate the 2nd half when they're fucked. Gerrard and Beale essentially did this against celtic numerous times.

We sat too deep, we didn't track runners, and we tried to park the bus and ceded control for half an hour instead of managing the game. It was a mistake, but if Gio has anything about him at all he'll know how to play against celtic next time. They might try to be all-attacking but they're one-dimensional - there's a reason they couldn't get the job done in Europe.

Can't argue with any of that mate.  You've made brilliant points and it's proving to be the case right now against Motherwell who are very much in this game, as things stand so far..

6 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

I make no apologies for calling out posts where fans have shat it and called for heads to roll but not come onto the same thread and give some praise.

Credit where it's due, and it's definitely due today.

A 5 star performance from The Manager and his players.

I wasn't quite sure of the set-up in the beginning but having Aribo and Arfield very advanced allowed Jack & Lundstram to ping passes to them. We basically sacrificed a right-winger to do that.

That was Gio's doing so maybe he is not so stubborn after all. Well done.