Gio Discussion Thread

stevemac

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'd hope so. But I'd assume there'll still be costs involved in getting the signings over the line. There always is.

And we don't know the overall package, or what could have been spent elsewhere. We never will.

But it seems now Gio doesn't have say on any aspect of the signings so it must have been Wilson deciding he couldn't bring in better for the same money...

Seems strange that we’ve not brought any Dutch players in, is that a sign gio doesn’t have much input into signings? It is a very European model that coaches, coach and players are given to him.

I remember reading Gio’s comments when we signed Lawrence, was stock answer when describing what he could bring, quite vague. Thought to myself then how much involved is he when it comes to making the signings.

Like you say we will probably never know.

3 minutes ago, Big Al 55 said:

Agree with this, although I still think regardless of who made the decision to renew McGregor and Davis, it was wrong.

The rest I agree with; with the caveat that the signs were till there in the league performances, regardless of the results.

Agreed the away form has been a concern for a while. Massive pressure on Saturday now but I remember him being in similar situation albeit not as bad as now of him going into Braga and cup semi final thinking if we get papped out both cups in a week he could be gone here.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Why even give him an opinion on players staying if he has zero control over signings?

Why wouldn't Gio just say he's a coach, who is coming in/ going out isn't in his remit? It's not a scandalous thing to clarify if it's the case.

Why would he even know about budgets and money in the bank if he has no say in the players at his disposal? 

Nope, for me Gio has had a say, has worked his budget, has got final say on recruitment. Its excuse making to suggest otherwise.

Everything is fed to him by the executive board for the press. Hes not an idiot, this is his job remit. He can have a opinion of a player and say he does publically but it don't make a difference to the transfer policy. It's all on Wilson and you can see it is by the creaking noises last night from the media guys close to the club.

5 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

How can anyone argue that he does when you look at the 2 transfer windows he has been there for? Ramsey and Diallo look like Gio players? All the players signed this window look like Gio signings? 

What do Gio signings look like?

10 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

He had a 68% win rate at Dynamo Kyiv and a 62% win rate at Ferencvaros.

Four out of five seasons at both clubs he won the league.

Fair enough I stand corrected

Though I’m not being funny here, is he still fighting in Ukraine?

OK we've had 2 really bad results but before that we were doing ok in both league and Europe this season. If we sack every single manager we get in after just a couple of bad results we'll never get anywhere. 

I also think there are some mitigating circumstances here, we have 8 players who would be pushing for a 1st team start out injured which would be a huge blow for any team in the world and not something that Gio can control. Because of this he's limited in what team selection/tactics he can use due to lack of options. 

The thing that annoys me though over the last 2 games is the seeming lack of fight and desire from the players. Im honestly at a loss to explain why the fuck that is but for sure it is Gios job to figure that out and fix it.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What do Gio signings look like?

Well you would think he would at least be tapping into the dutch market considering him and his background staff all have experience there. Especially Vos. Strange how we haven't signed one player from the place he knows best if he has a say....

Maybe it's just coincidence his knowledge of the Belgian market is the same as Wilson's.....

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Bite your hand off for Rebrov

Thinking of potentials as looks matter of time before this mob get him sacked.

Tedesco - did great last season but poor start this season saw him sacked.

Favre - too ambitious? edit didn’t realise he went back to Nice.

Stankovic - left red star start of season, dominant in Serbia but not sure on how much competition he had.

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Well you would think he would at least be tapping into the dutch market considering him and his background staff all have experience there. Especially Vos. Strange how we haven't signed one player from the place he knows best if he has a say....

Maybe it's just coincidence his knowledge of the Belgian market is the same as Wilson's.....

In Holland he went Dutch. It makes sense as they are all at home, know the league, familiarity etc.

I fully expected us to bring in some Dutch players. But I don't see the fact we haven't as any sort of proof that Gio has zero say on signing players.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

I'll keep posting this till something changes.

The issue is not just with Gio. The executive board need to go. There is zero point in sacking Gio just for the same board to hire another yes man.

Neither are happening anytime soon let’s be honest

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

In Holland he went Dutch. It makes sense as they ate all at home, know the league, familiarity etc.

I fully expected us to bring in some Dutch players. But I don't see the fact we haven't as any sort of proof that Gio has zero say on signing players.

I'm not saying it is proof. It just adds more weight to the side of him having no say. A manager who does have a say surely tries to get players in from the country he has the best knowledge of.

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

I'm not saying it is proof. It just adds more weight to the side of him having no say. A manager who does have a say surely tries to get players in from the country he has the best knowledge of.

A coach who has no say in transfer dealings would surely just state that new ins/outs during a window aren't part of his remit.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

A coach who has no say in transfer dealings would surely just state that new ins/outs during a window aren't part of his remit.

But what happens then? All the blame goes on Wilson. 

Look at the media close to the club since the tarrier game. They're solely blaming Wilson for the signings and contracts. Why wouldn't they tie Gio in with that?

Gio ain't going to publically say he is just the coach if he has been told by the people who hired him to not say that. Doesn't end well for him if he goes against his bosses.

The board are a big problem we have, completely out of touch with the fanbase & our signings just seem totally left field

However the main problem just now is Gio & his staff have completely wrecked this team. We were terrible after the January break then seemed to stumble into a formation due to injuries & have now gotten even worse after a full preseason under him

A good manager should be getting more out of this squad but we're at the point where it's difficult to even see what we're trying to do anymore on the pitch

27 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

The issue is not just with Gio. The executive board need to go. There is zero point in sacking Gio just for the same board to hire another yes man.

I think the question is, does another manager get more out of them?

If, god forbid, we had fat Ange instead of Gio with this squad - are we in a better place?

I’d suggest so. Gio is far too passive and negative in terms of our footballing identity. 

29 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

But surely we can't just accept shite tactics and picking players who have chucked it because the board are abysmal too. 

If the manager can't get a tune out of the players and we get embarrassed domestically and in Europe then he must go regardless. 

Gio has failed us massively the last 2 games, In no universe should we be beaten before half time against either of these sides.

His post match comments about not being able to compete without spending hundreds of millions are an absolute disgrace. We have literally just knocked out the second best team in Holland by winning away from home, yet we are supposed to believe we can't lay a glove on Ajax, pathetic.

Zonal marking is one of his many faults and the inability to change it given we concede at least 1 free header from a set piece every single game this season is borderline unforgivable.

The players have also let him down massively these last two games, if they are ignoring instructions then the game is up, it means he's lost the dressing room and the players don't believe in what he is trying to do.

I can just about accept losing against these two sides away from home but the manner in which it has happened is nothing short of disgraceful and if something doesn't change by Saturday then he has to go.

I'm really hoping it's just a blip and we will kick on but that's probably just pure optimism rather than anything else at this stage.

8 goals conceded in 2 games and every single one of them was preventable, just leaves you destroyed.

7 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I think the question is, does another manager get more out of them?

If, god forbid, we had fat Ange instead of Gio with this squad - are we in a better place?

I’d suggest so. Gio is far too passive and negative in terms of our footballing identity. 

6 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

But surely we can't just accept shite tactics and picking players who have chucked it because the board are abysmal too. 

If the manager can't get a tune out of the players and we get embarrassed domestically and in Europe then he must go regardless. 

I'm not saying we do and I'm not saying we stick by Gio. I'm saying that this executive should not get another chance to hire another manager. 

Gio should go but his replacement shouldn't be brought in by the current incompetent mob for another brief honeymoon period before the cracks in the foundation rear their ugly head again. That situation keeps them in their posts for months if not years too long.