FM23

Straight-Edge-Loyal

Who’s your most memorable regen from any save in any edition.

Shaun Mathe.

17 year old South African at Dynamos FC who stepped up in the second half of the season, situated in the north east of the country, in place of a fucking cunt of an AWOL Brazilian called Leonardo who was caught “drinking in to the early hours of the night” - a fucking few days before the CAF Champions League Final.

35 yards out 75 minute hit against Zamalek.

Fuck the Pope.

What a fucking legend. 2015 or something fuck knows. Pler.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Anyone recommend a decent challenge or a fun team?

Everyone I've gone has really struggled to hold my attention after 4 or 5 games into the season.

Depends what you enjoy in the game. Do you like scouting for wonderkids, signing low selling high or do you like tactics and bringing through youths?

I’m hooked on the youth academy challenge, it’s all about making the most of what you have, hiring the right staff and focussing on developing youth players with the end goal of winning the top league in your nation and the continental competition. You have to holiday for a year then take over a previously non-playable team that gets promoted to the bottom division. You can’t sign anyone, loan anyone, can’t loan back when your players get snapped up and you have to start with no badges and as a Sunday league footballer for experience.

There’s a strong community for this one on the SI forums as well if you like sharing your story or seeing others.

If you struggle to retain interest at the same club or same nation then maybe the hexagon challenge or the ultimate football manager challenge:

Spoiler

The 32 Competitions you must win to win the challenge

10 Leagues

La Liga (Spain)

Premier League (England)

Bundesliga (Germany)

Ligue 1 (France)

Serie A (Italy)

AND 5 OTHER TOP LEAGUES.

5 Champions Leagues

Champions League (Europe)

Champions League (Asia)

Copa Libertadores (South America)

NACL (North American Champions League)

ACL (Africa Champions League)

6 International Tournaments

UEFA Euros (Europe)

AFC (Asian Cup Of Nations)

Copa America (South America)

Gold Cup (North America)

ACON (African Cup Of Nations)

<Not the African Championship of Nations - CHAN>

FIFA World Cup

11 Others

Domestic Cups from 10 separate nations required where all the top level teams  are entered (apart from Mexico - see post 3). Some nations have 2 cups that meet this criteria. It doesn't have to be the 'main' cup.

FIFA Club World Cup

10 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Depends what you enjoy in the game. Do you like scouting for wonderkids, signing low selling high or do you like tactics and bringing through youths?

I’m hooked on the youth academy challenge, it’s all about making the most of what you have, hiring the right staff and focussing on developing youth players with the end goal of winning the top league in your nation and the continental competition. You have to holiday for a year then take over a previously non-playable team that gets promoted to the bottom division. You can’t sign anyone, loan anyone, can’t loan back when your players get snapped up and you have to start with no badges and as a Sunday league footballer for experience.

There’s a strong community for this one on the SI forums as well if you like sharing your story or seeing others.

If you struggle to retain interest at the same club or same nation then maybe the hexagon challenge or the ultimate football manager challenge:

Hide contents

The 32 Competitions you must win to win the challenge

10 Leagues

La Liga (Spain)

Premier League (England)

Bundesliga (Germany)

Ligue 1 (France)

Serie A (Italy)

AND 5 OTHER TOP LEAGUES.

5 Champions Leagues

Champions League (Europe)

Champions League (Asia)

Copa Libertadores (South America)

NACL (North American Champions League)

ACL (Africa Champions League)

6 International Tournaments

UEFA Euros (Europe)

AFC (Asian Cup Of Nations)

Copa America (South America)

Gold Cup (North America)

ACON (African Cup Of Nations)

<Not the African Championship of Nations - CHAN>

FIFA World Cup

11 Others

Domestic Cups from 10 separate nations required where all the top level teams  are entered (apart from Mexico - see post 3). Some nations have 2 cups that meet this criteria. It doesn't have to be the 'main' cup.

FIFA Club World Cup

One of my mates is doing that hexagon challenge at the moment. He actually used to post on here but doesn't anymore.

The thing I enjoy doing is mainly creating tactics and building 'identity' sides. So players all from the same country, or city, or region. Or I'll take a good historic side that I liked and try and recreate it with modern day similar players. For example a couple of FMs ago I tried to do a classic Parma side, so started off with trying to create a team that had the likes of a Brazilian GK for Taffarel, Swedish AM for Brolin.

I also spend a lot of time in the editor making new league arrangements.

One idea I've had is trying to recreate the career of a well travelled manager. I think someone like Manuel Pellegrini would be interesting as he started off in Chile before going to Ecuador, then Argentina, before ending up in Spain.

1 minute ago, McEwan&#x27;s Lager said:

I did them last year and got bored of it pretty quickly.

I got through the first lockdown/furlough era by taking them into the premier league with a team full of absolute animals :lol: 

4-4-2 every player's passing stats were about 10 at best but aggression, stamina and strength 15+ :lol: 

23 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

One of my mates is doing that hexagon challenge at the moment. He actually used to post on here but doesn't anymore.

The thing I enjoy doing is mainly creating tactics and building 'identity' sides. So players all from the same country, or city, or region. Or I'll take a good historic side that I liked and try and recreate it with modern day similar players. For example a couple of FMs ago I tried to do a classic Parma side, so started off with trying to create a team that had the likes of a Brazilian GK for Taffarel, Swedish AM for Brolin.

I also spend a lot of time in the editor making new league arrangements.

One idea I've had is trying to recreate the career of a well travelled manager. I think someone like Manuel Pellegrini would be interesting as he started off in Chile before going to Ecuador, then Argentina, before ending up in Spain.

Trying to follow the footsteps of a particular manager sounds like it could be interesting. It’s still quite open ended and you still have to pick a starting point and understanding what your end goal is.

The youth academy challenge definitely tests your abilities to find a formation and style of play that works as well as coping with the adversity of losing your best players and having succession planning in place for each position (the squad planner helps with this too). I did this challenge with VV Katwijk in Holland for fm 22 before the  trying with Santa Venera Lightnings in Malta which has the added challenge of a really low nation rating for the youth players coming through. Currently managing FC Chiasso in Switzerland in fm23 and enjoying it.

Doing the ultimate challenge sounds like it could be the one for you. Give your manager a backstory and a particular style of play then go around the globe trying to win the club and national competitions across all the continents. It’s kinda like the Mike Bassett challenge where you play the classic 4-4-2 everywhere but maybe pick a more adventurous and uncommon tactic to implement.

If you just want to travel without the pressures of winning major tournaments then maybe check out timos megapack which has an inconceivable number of nations in it: https://www.fmscout.com/a-fm23-leagues-pack-by-timo.html

the other thing I found recently was a random team picker if you just want to get a feel for a club at random: https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-2023/club-picker

If all else fails try the youth challenge at Rangers :lol:…..free everyone over 20 in the database editor then add a transfer embargo for 100 years. Surviving the first year would be a really tough challenge if is 20 years old or younger.

5 hours ago, McEwan&#x27;s Lager said:

Everyone I've gone has really struggled to hold my attention after 4 or 5 games into the season.

Take deportivo back the the Spanish top flight. Or Munich 1690 in Germany. Or palermo. I done ones in past with kaiserlutern with was fun and parma when they where In  lower leagues.

15 hours ago, McEwan&#x27;s Lager said:

Download the Scottish all leagues from the workshop. Try get a junior team to the top think it’s a guy called mozza that’s done the database.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/01/2023 at 19:00, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Still isn't out for ps5 yet. 

Downloaded it this morning. Nearly ended up late for my work. 

Gave Buff and Kent new contracts

Buff then scored a hat trick v Killie at home in a 4-1 win. :thumbup:

Will update as I go.