World Cup - Qatar 2022

G.E.C.

53 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Can’t separate him and Maradona.  The men.

Ooft. It's a tough one. 

I think Messi is a much cleaner, accurate and polished player than Maradona, but wee Diego had an edge and a danger to his play that i think nudges him ahead of Messi. (Granted, drugs). 

Both prone to moments of genius and carrying a team on their shoulders.

Bugger all in it though, and Messi is obviously the better rolemodel. 

3 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Ooft. It's a tough one. 

I think Messi is a much cleaner, accurate and polished player than Maradona, but wee Diego had an edge and a danger to his play that i think nudges him ahead of Messi. (Granted, drugs). 

Both prone to moments of genius and carrying a team on their shoulders.

Bugger all in it though, and Messi is obviously the better rolemodel. 

Much as I hate to say it (because Maradona had the panache and footballing charisma that Messi doesn't and nothing compares to him in full flow) from what I can see Messi has had far more proper wow moments in his career. For me more consistently good and has obviously had a longer lived career.

Maradona can say he had to do it in an era when he was booted to fuck, though. Nowadays he'd probably have been able to make alot more of his talent and would likely have been closer to Messi. And Maradona has a World Cup.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Much as I hate to say it (because Maradona had the panache and footballing charisma that Messi doesn't and nothing compares to him in full flow) from what I can see Messi has had far more proper wow moments in his career. For me more consistently good and has obviously had a longer lived career.

Maradona can say he had to do it in an era when he was booted to fuck, though. Nowadays he'd probably have been able to make alot more of his talent and would likely have been closer to Messi. And Maradona has a World Cup.

It's definitely margins in it for me as well, and makes for a great debate. 

If Argentina win the world cup, unlikely as it looks, then Messi probably deserves to nudge it.