Siniša Mihajlović

57 minutes ago, JamieD said:

Missed this! What a character. Huge part of one of only two teams east of Munich to win the big one. 

East and West Europe wise but geography wise does that not include the Italians as they are south east surely but not politically regards the terms West and East Europe ?

1 hour ago, hammer93 said:

Is this the same guy who was a bit of a nutcase?

Great player but such a young age to pass away....fuck me I'm 52:rip:

Yeah he was a bit of a head case.

One of my strongest memories of him was getting sent off with two bookings within a few minutes of each other against Slovenia at Euro 2000.

12 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah he was a bit of a head case.

One of my strongest memories of him was getting sent off with two bookings within a few minutes of each other against Slovenia at Euro 2000.

Was he not heavily involved with the ultras :lol:

10 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Was he not heavily involved with the ultras :lol:

Supposedly when Arkan, the leader of Red Star's ultras and the commander of the most notorious Serb paramilitaries, captured Mihajlovic's hometown, he captured Mihajlovic's Croat uncle, but then released him at Sinisa's request, such was the esteem he was held in. 

On 20/12/2022 at 11:38, JamieD said:

Supposedly when Arkan, the leader of Red Star's ultras and the commander of the most notorious Serb paramilitaries, captured Mihajlovic's hometown, he captured Mihajlovic's Croat uncle, but then released him at Sinisa's request, such was the esteem he was held in. 

The story goes that the militants found Sinisa's name and number in an address book when ransacking the house.

5 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The story goes that the militants found Sinisa's name and number in an address book when ransacking the house.

An interesting fact about Mihajlovic, who is often thought to have been some kind of rabid ultra-nationalist - he was one of only 100,000 people to self-declare as an ethnic Yugoslav rather than one of the constituent nations in the 1991 census, when the country was on the brink of war, something mostly army officers, communist party officials and state enterprise managers did.