Morelos To Sevilla? - Ibrox Noise

9 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Goals per minutes is the best thing to look at. Take the variable of injuries and sub appearances etc out.

Domestically last few years he hasn’t been irreplaceable. Almost every OF striker has been as good or better. Roofe, Colak, Defoe, on par with Itten, Kyogo, Giomakkis, Griffiths, Edouard, Dembele etc

Don’t get me wrong he offers more off the ball than a Colak does. Europe he has been phenomenal for us and I genuinely believe if he’d been fit we wd have won the final.

But domestically I don’t think the Morelos of the last few years will be a big loss. His hold up play and dropping deep isn’t as effective as it is in Europe. And he is a worse finisher than a Colak or Roofe. And domestically we put a lot of balls in the box for our strikers to get on the end of. 

Why take variables like injuries out? It’s part of the reality of what has happened. I’d far rather a striker play 30 games and manage ten/fifteen goals a season than manage to play five games all season and score five goals. Better goals per 90 but utterly worthless over the course of a season. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why take variables like injuries out? It’s part of the reality of what has happened. I’d far rather a striker play 30 games and manage ten/fifteen goals a season than manage to play five games all season and score five goals. Better goals per 90 but utterly worthless over the course of a season. 

Of course you want both. But looking at output alone tells you whether they are good enough. How many goals are we going to score if this guy doesn’t get injured. And is it good enough to win the league.

If we have a striker starting and play 30 games and score ten goals we aren’t winning the league. Full stop. 

Morelos level in the league when he has been fit imo hasn’t been above what we could reasonably hope to replace him with/what we already have. His ceiling is higher though which would be why I’m sad to see him leave.

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

Of course you want both. But looking at output alone tells you whether they are good enough. How many goals are we going to score if this guy doesn’t get injured. And is it good enough to win the league.

If we have a striker starting and play 30 games and score ten goals we aren’t winning the league. Full stop. 

Morelos level in the league when he has been fit imo hasn’t been above what we could reasonably hope to replace him with/what we already have. His ceiling is higher though which would be why I’m sad to see him leave.

Then why have so few been able to step up and consistently replace what he brings? You’d think if it was THAT easy we’d have done it years ago when folk moaned we were too reliant on Morelos. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Then why have so few been able to step up and consistently replace what he brings? You’d think if it was THAT easy we’d have done it years ago when folk moaned we were too reliant on Morelos. 

We haven’t been able to replace Morelos from 4-5 years ago. We absolutely have the Morelos of the last few. That’s the whole point. Colak these days isn’t a downgrade on Morelos.

Colak is a downgrade on the Morelos of 5 years ago.

But we aren’t replacing the Morelos of 5 years ago. We’re replacing the Morelos now.

Same way we aren’t replacing the McGregor of old. Where it wd be very difficult for us to get better. But basically any comepetent keeper now wd be better

7 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to say his performances and overall contributions to the team have declined bar some short spurts here and there. 

Don’t knock short spurts, mate. You’ll be auld yourself one day.

:pipe:

For the same reason that’s why I think letting Kent go is a gamble. Because the difference between Kent and what we currently bring on (Wright) is massive. The difference between current Morelos and Colak is nothing. Although I do think we need better than Colak. So that we be a legitimate argument for keeping Morelos, because at least their is potential for a higher ceiling with him, as we’ve seen before

50 minutes ago, The No.9 said:

Never fun having to bring up the other side but since even as far back to the 07/08 season in the last 16 seasons they’ve had at least one player to score 20 goals in 11 of those seasons from what I can find (going off a quick check transfermarkt could be wrong?)

so 11 of 16 seasons they’ve had a 20+ goal scorer and a few close or to that in the same years or the few without, I would say it’s definitely possible to do in todays game.

Its 8 out of 16 seasons, not 11.

Also at least 2 were when we were out the top division.

41 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

You sure? I’ve just realised some of the pages on that site are only showing league goals for some reason rather than total which is where I took some of my other numbers from.

Us not being there doesn’t really matter imo, either way I think strikers for either club really should be hitting 20 more often than not and usually only haven’t in recent years due to form or injury or wanting to move clubs etc.

1 hour ago, Negri's lovechild said:

87/88 season he scored 42 goals.

88/89, 89/90, 90/91 he scored 18 goals in each of those seasons, before his leg break and before his mid 30s.

I could be remembering wrong but I’m sure in most of those seasons Johnson and Hateley were picked over him it was only once Walter took over Ally started being more the first choice

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I just recounted again and got 10 seasons this time lol from FBref.

Still I think it shows it possible plus a few of those seasons had more than one on 20 or people scoring around 18 etc.

Ironically some of the lower scoring seasons for their strikers seem to be last year and the latter half of Rodgers time.

49 minutes ago, The No.9 said:

I just recounted again and got 10 seasons this time lol from FBref.

Still I think it shows it possible plus a few of those seasons had more than one on 20 or people scoring around 18 etc.

Ironically some of the lower scoring seasons for their strikers seem to be last year and the latter half of Rodgers time.

So how many of those have done it consistently over several seasons?