Name 5 players we've signed under his tenure that have been a success 

Jury is out on some but..

Hagi

Raskin 

Cantwell 

Lawrence

Tillman 

Bassey

Some others could yet come good and many of the rest have done their best.

Guys like Wright might not be long term options but he has scored Important goals at important times.

Yilmaz has a potential.

All I'm saying is that it isn't all black and white.   We don't know what his actual remit at the club was. Bringing silverware must have been one of those things.. that did happen while he was here.

he is getting almost all this shit because we got fucking embarrassed in the CL and have failed to win the league.  Which is totally fair.  If he can celebrate the success then he should be able to be slated for the failures.

I doubt you will agree ( most wont)  I'm fine with that.

52 minutes ago, OrangeRab said:

Those reasons are probably why he stayed in the job for as long as he did. Correlation not causation.. When you go through them one by one. How much credit does he really deserve. How many pieces to the puzzle did he add for the league and Europa run? Most of those key players were signed or identified before him. 

How much credit does he deserve for selling Patterson? Fuck all imo. 

He had next to fuck all contribution to signing Bassey. 

The list of players signed is genuinely shocking. To have signed 30+ players with the outlay spent and have only 3-4 manage to start for us is cripplingly bad. He was a major factor in costing us 2 league titles. And as it looks he’s set us back a long way to win next year as well. 

That’s before you even start on the whole contract run down fiasco, injury aspect, squad age and profile etc

Wait so he can get slated and blamed  for the failures but had "fuck all" to do with the successes?

That's not how it works. You don't get it both ways.

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

His job is to protect our assets at the club not just sign new talent and we are about to let 12 million pound of investment waltz out the door 

Absolutely.  We don't know what happens behind the scenes.

For example we don't know how much he had to work to get goldson to sign last season, and it didn't happen till the last second.

For all we know, he has been trying like a bear to get both Kent and Morelos to sign new deals, but they just don't want to.   If he had sold both in the summer while we were going for the champions league then people would have went fucking mental mate.

He can't make them sign,can't force them to go, can't take an offer we don't have on the table etc. 

5 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

His job is to protect our assets at the club not just sign new talent and we are about to let 12 million pound of investment waltz out the door 

Also throw in the fact that he gave five players who either were, or in Goldsons case, was a buy to turn 30 new contracts last Summer, which was a mental decision for somebody running a club that has to have a model that leans towards a younger side so players can improve and look to be sold on.

And speaking of having a younger side, the signings of Yilmaz and Matondo looks like decent money flushed down the drain too. Maybe that’s harsh, particularly on Yilmaz, but   it already seems like we just hope he comes good rather than having any tangible evidence that suggests he will come good.

31 minutes ago, don logan said:

i think he's far from the pantomime villain that many on this thread paint him to be. He's presented as the problem but no one has offered a credible alternative. Celebrating his departure is fine and well but we now don't have a DOF as we head into the summer transfer window. Gogzy's post is a great counter argument to the dissenters.

Plenty of people have offered a credible alternative. Get a strong CEO in with strengthening of medical, scouting departments with a clear vision of what we are trying to achieve and put plans in place. Have a model in place and work towards it. Ross Wilson has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster at the club and folk trying to stick up for him or think we are going to be weaker because of it are absolutely mental. 

1 minute ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

Also throw in the fact that he gave five players who either were, or in Goldsons case, was a buy to turn 30 new contracts last Summer, which was a mental decision for somebody running a club that has to have a model that leans towards a younger side so players can improve and look to be sold on.

And speaking of having a younger side, the signings of Yilmaz and Matondo looks like decent money flushed down the drain too. Maybe that’s harsh, particularly on Yilmaz, but   it already seems like we just hope he comes good rather than having any tangible evidence that suggests he will come good.

Matondo looks like he might be a complete failure.  We will be lucky to get anything back for him.

Plenty of time for Yilmaz.  It's been unlucky for him that Borna has been putting in the work this season.

Our medical department needs overhauled more than the team.  We have had almost an entire first team worth of players out at points this season and players are taking way too long to recover, or getting injured way too quickly after coming back.

I'd be looking to bring in a new medical team asap.  

4 minutes ago, gogzy said:

For example we don't know how much he had to work to get goldson to sign last season, and it didn't happen till the last second.

For all we know, he has been trying like a bear to get both Kent and Morelos to sign new deals, but they just don't want to.   If he had sold both in the summer while we were going for the champions league then people would have went fucking mental mate.

He can't make them sign,can't force them to go, can't take an offer we don't have on the table etc. 

The issue here is they both should have been dealt with way before now, if they were never looking to sign new deals then punt them out the door even if it was at a cut price. If we weren’t looking for much then I don’t doubt someone would have come in for both, and at least we would have got something.

3 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

The issue here is they both should have been dealt with way before now, if they were never looking to sign new deals then punt them out the door even if it was at a cut price. If we weren’t looking for much then I don’t doubt someone would have come in for both, and at least we would have got something.

Punt them to whom? And when?

Were there a bunch of bids I wasn't aware of?

Would you have sold them in the summer when we were preparing for the champions league?

2 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Would you have sold them in the summer when we were preparing for the champions league?

5 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

As I said they should’ve been dealt with way before, even letting their deals getting down to 1 year left was ridiculous considering they were thought of as our biggest assets. Probably wouldn’t have punted them before the champions league because by then it was all too late.

So you go public and basically say " we really want a bid for 2 of our best players..  willing to sell cheep for quick sale"

You think if Wilson he had done that,the fans would be happy?

EDIT. Your have also done this with more than one year left on their deals?

1 minute ago, gogzy said:

So you go public and basically say " we really want a bid for 2 of our best players..  willing to sell cheep for quick sale"

You think if Wilson he had done that,the fans would be happy?

Shat it to quote me imo 

11 minutes ago, gogzy said:

There’s always going to be a reason not to sell players but his and others jobs is to sell when their stock is high which is always going to be after winning league or after the Euro final.

Look across the city, they decided to sell Juranovic who was going to play at a World Cup.

Just now, STEPPS BOY said:

There’s always going to be a reason not to sell players but his and others jobs is to sell when their stock is high which is always going to be after winning league or after the Euro final.

Look across the city, they decided to sell Juranovic who was going to play at a World Cup.

Fair.  If we were going to flog either then that would be the best time.

Did any bids come on that we rejected?

We couldn't have sold them in the summer, we were going for the CL.

We probably didn't look to sell them after the Europa final as we thought they would help us go on to win the league.  

27 minutes ago, gogzy said:

I don't think this is true. There might have been a bit of unrest, probably some scepticism that Wilson would be able to adequately replace them, but as far back as last january this situation has been looming and the mentality of these players has been under scrutiny for even longer. Everyone knows what happens when the contracts reach the final 18-12 months, there's a general understanding among fans that the club has less and less wiggle room.

The worst case scenario always ends up with us having to replace Kent and Alfie, if we had sold in the summer we'd have had cash to do so. That might mean getting less than you want/expect (similar to Aribo), but it's better than them walking out the door for free. 

Also, people like to throw up the "where were the bids for these players?" defense, as though there is no club in the world who would be interested in signing them if we had showed any desire to sell.

Just now, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Took us from our strongest position in 20 years to needing a complete rebuild in 3 transfer windows...

I don't think we need a complete rebuild either.

I think that's hyperbolic as fuck.

1 minute ago, AGM_72 said:

I don't think this is true. There might have been a bit of unrest, probably some scepticism that Wilson would be able to adequately replace them, but as far back as last january this situation has been looming and the mentality of these players has been under scrutiny for even longer.

The worst case scenario always ends up with us having to replace Kent and Alfie, if we had sold in the summer we'd have had cash to do so. That might mean getting less than you want/expect (similar to Aribo), but it's better than them walking out the door for free. 

Also, people like to throw up the "where were the bids for these players?" defense, as though there is no club in the world who would be interested in signing them if we had showed any desire to sell.

It the first paragraph, all we both have is guesswork.

If we had sold either for pennies in the summer then fans would have went fucking mental. We were going for the champions league group stages.

Showing desire to sell is a great way to lose value on players.  There were no bids afaik. The rest is all ifs and buts.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

It’s really not. 2 trophies in 15, under 3 managers.

This squad needs gutted. 

Ok.  

All about opinions.  I think we need maybe 5 replacements in the first team.

We don't need,  or can we afford a complete rebuild IMO.

At this point in time i'm fairly happy that Wilson has moved on.

Time will decide if he has been a success or failure. I think some of the signings have been horrendously unlucky regarding injuries (Ofoborh, Yilmaz, Lawrence, Hagi, Soutter to a point as we knew his injury history). There have been gambles regarding signings that haven't paid off, and there have been some outright awful signings. I completely forgot that Kamberi played for us. 

The number of players who haven't worked out is a worry, and shows a lack of understanding of what is expected at a club like Rangers. You're never going to get every signing right, but at least identify a character or a trait in a player that will fit with the club's ethos. 

At this time i would be quite happy for the management team to identify players who would slot into their philosophy.

2 minutes ago, gogzy said:

Ok.  

All about opinions.  I think we need maybe 5 replacements in the first team.

We don't need,  or can we afford a complete rebuild IMO.

We need, a whole new frontline, a keeper, a centre mid, a centre back, and a left back depending on Yilmaz

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Was hyperbolic in your "word of the day" shit roll? :lol:

If we want to win 56 anytime soon we need a rebuild, not a refresh.

It's a great word describe the internet's reaction to almost every single piece of news ever. 

Especially this stuff.

And as to your last line.  You might he right. Time will tell.