General Transfer Talk

Broxi

7 hours ago, Malkytfp1 said:

You're saying a lot of things like they're factual there when they're really not. I'm sure he has improved, probably around about the time he was part of a defense that literally broke records for not conceding or when he was the Europa League right back of the season. Some achievement for an awful player.

So one season where defensively the whole team was rock solid and one season where he made the europa league team of the season mostly due to the goals he scored 

I never said he was an awful player, but he's an awful defender, still making schoolboy errors like last weekend, points to jota then gets caught ball watching and loses his man at the back post, if its not tav its barisic doing it and we lose countless goals every season due to it

14 minutes ago, AdzKyle said:

Anyone who thinks Tav is a good defender needs their head seen to. Always out of position, can’t tackle, gives the ball away too much. 
He’s decent going forward but I would rather someone who can defend first. 

If we actually got attackers who could contribute regularly then we wouldn't need to rely so much on our RB  to score.

9 hours ago, BlueVanguard said:

Might get slaughtered for this but fuck it :lol: Off on Holiday from work so i have been spending a lot of time on the computer playing Football Manager and simply just watching random games of football and highlights from other league all over the world and i have came across some good players but seen this boy called " Djordje Jovanovic " looks an absolute player. Not a player i have picked out of thin air either been reading his stats and how much it would cost in wages and transfer fee and it looks like it could be affordable for the club. Serbian forward who just turned 24 years old. Doesn't have bags of experience but seems to be scoring in different competition in Isreal and European qualifiers and highly thought off. He plays for Maccabi Tel Aviv

Must admit I like looking for players going under the radar myself. He looks a good player but not sure if we could afford the fee for him, Tel Aviv sold someone last season for £13m to Salzburg so depending on how much they rate him could be a problem. 

I agree these are markets we should be looking at, the constant scouting round the English leagues is driving me insane. 

We realistically need 9-10 coming in the summer, we need 6 starters minimum and better options off the bench, 15 out with 10 coming in would be ideal. 
Don’t think it needs a massive net spend either with the numbers we have going out plus 1 or 2 quality bosmans and maybe 1 or 2 loan to buys, concentrate our budget and money from player sales on 5 or 6 of real quality. 

34 minutes ago, RossS1873 said:

If we actually got attackers who could contribute regularly then we wouldn't need to rely so much on our RB  to score.

Part of that is on our system though

We ask fullbacks to attack, attacking mids to cover centre mid and centre mids to cover fullback, 

Square pegs round holes

Fact that kent had looked his best when he was allowed free reign to run and not come inside to allow barisic space is telling, and you know how much i dont rate kent, but his spells under both gerrard and gio when he was told to run at players instead of playing inside 10 was night and day from his other performances

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So one season where defensively the whole team was rock solid and one season where he made the europa league team of the season mostly due to the goals he scored 

I never said he was an awful player, but he's an awful defender, still making schoolboy errors like last weekend, points to jota then gets caught ball watching and loses his man at the back post, if its not tav its barisic doing it and we lose countless goals every season due to it

He makes the same mistakes he did under Warburton Barisic the same it's the reason GVB made them sit back as he knew they could not defend.

9 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Tbh I doubt its even that unless we sell.

Even though the manager has said he’s happy with the budget and it’s more than Rangers have given a manager in a long time? given Gio/Ross Wilson spunked £14m last season surely we can assume it to be more? then there’s the freed up wages that we will have for Bosman signings as well, I think the board know they have to dig deep this summer and I think they will. 

Rob kiernan 280k                                 James Tavernier 250k                                    Andy Haliday free                                            Wes Foderingham free                                    Jordan Thompson free                                  Martyn Waghorn free or small fee                  Harry Forrester free or small fee                    Zelalem, Ball, Oduwa Loan                            Joe Garner 1.75m                                            Jack Alnwick 280k                                          Joey Barton Free                                            Jordan Rossiter free                                      Clint Hill free                                                  Matt Gilks free                                                Matt Crooks free                                            Josh Windass free                                          Lee Hodson free or small fee                        Hyndmann, Toral Loan                                    Graham Dorrans 1.5m                                    Declan John small fee                                    Joe Dodoo free                                    Martin, Cummings, Goss, Nemane Loan      Connor Goldson 3.4m                                    Jamie Murphy 1.2m                                        Scott Arfield free                                            Alan McGregor free                                        Jon Flanagan free                                          Andy Firth free                                                Worrall loan                                                    Ryan Kent 7.2m                                                George Edmundson 750k                              Steven Davis free                                          Gregg Stewart free                                        Joe Aribo free                                                  Brandon Barker free                                        King, Ojo loan                                              Jermain Defoe free                                        Leon Balogun free                                          Calvin Bassey free                                          Jon Mclaughlin free                                        Jack Simpson free                              Glenn Middleton free                               Bacuna 2m                                               Oforborh free                                          Jon Lundstram free                                  Diallo loan                                                 Ben Davies 4.7m                                      Todd Cantwell 1.7m                                Tom Lawrence free 

20 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Part of that is on our system though

We ask fullbacks to attack, attacking mids to cover centre mid and centre mids to cover fullback, 

Square pegs round holes

Fact that kent had looked his best when he was allowed free reign to run and not come inside to allow barisic space is telling, and you know how much i dont rate kent, but his spells under both gerrard and gio when he was told to run at players instead of playing inside 10 was night and day from his other performances

I totally get that. But I think maybe it's time to change the system. It shows that when we don't have enough in the centre we resort to going wide.

On 05/05/2023 at 09:36, 6superbarry6 said:

Yilmaz needs a run in the team far too early to right him off, considering he was entering the last year of his deal and a highly rated young Turkish international with decent sized clubs like Frankfurt chasing him id be looking for a decent profit to sell tbh, his stock in Europe will still be pretty high. 

Fairly sure it was the same for Barisic? 

4 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Don't know why people are saying we won't be bringing that many in during the summer, 10 players arrived in Gerrard's first window and 4 of them are still here, 5 if you include Kamara who signed in the winter window. 

Obviously all down to money but that's been our issue for years,morbid thinking how much we've pissed away. 

At least half of them were absolute shite and if we sign 10 again the same will be true unfortunately.

45 minutes ago, 6superbarry6 said:

We still leaked horrendous goals under Gio 

Very true, and while his tactics were very questionable at times, we can't ignore the fact that when he was sacked we had 5 centre halves injured, gerrard routinely had 3 and at least 2 were always fit 

2 minutes ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

At least half of them were absolute shite and if we sign 10 again the same will be true unfortunately.

Comes down to scouting in the end really, names we've been linked to already don't seem upto much. 

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Comes down to scouting in the end really, names we've been linked to already don't seem upto much. 

To an extent aye, but on our budget bringing in 10 players you're almost guaranteed to have a good few who are shite. Agreed about the links, hopefully nothing to most of them.

15 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Very true, and while his tactics were very questionable at times, we can't ignore the fact that when he was sacked we had 5 centre halves injured, gerrard routinely had 3 and at least 2 were always fit 

Think Gio will do well elsewhere but his tactics were always about countering the opposition rather than taking the game to teams, just not suited to what we play against most weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Pointless doing a big rebuild if the overall quality of the first 11 and then squad is not going up.

Agreed no point moving on shite to then go and sign more we need to be targeting players who are better than our first team not signing squad players to supplement them, think this has been the biggest issue our continual signing of squad players, nobody ever thought Sakaka was coming to take Kent’s jersey or Colaks to take Morelos we have been too reluctant to change our starting 11.