General Transfer Talk

Broxi

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He was given a hospital ball, who says our next keeper is going to be usain bolt as well

To give mcgregor any blame for the recent parkhead loss is mental, he was sold down the river every goal

Yes it was a hospital ball and that was the issue but I do think a more agile and younger keeper has a better go at coming to meet that. He was very slow and I think he can go to ground and make an attempt.

Screenshot_20230518-112832.png

Screenshot_20230518-112908.png

Just now, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

No idea if he is good but this squad is in dire need of pace and power and he looks like he has that. 

Glad to see us signing this type o player. 

aint @The Dude our inhouse MLS expert?

2 minutes ago, stevemac said:

not just a case of signing a pre contract then fighting on for a deal a la Kamara?

Yeah I imagine so but I think his value is quite significant compared to Kamara. I know it's not great but transfermarkt has him at €12m so how much are we looking at paying for the sake of a few months.

1 minute ago, stevemac said:

not just a case of signing a pre contract then fighting on for a deal a la Kamara?

I would have guessed that but don’t think he’s in the last 6 months yet so we must have got their permission. Think he still has 7.5 months left?

https://targetscouting.com/2022/09/26/jose-cifuentes-scout-report/

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/who-is-jose-cifuentes-the-lafc-midfielder-has-elements-of-caicedo-and-pogba/view/news/417267

Couple of “scout” reports 

3 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Yes it was a hospital ball and that was the issue but I do think a more agile and younger keeper has a better go at coming to meet that. He was very slow and I think he can go to ground and make an attempt.

Screenshot_20230518-112832.png

Screenshot_20230518-112908.png

Also worth remembering looking at these still images which may look like an even race that the ball is moving away from their player and towards (ish) McGregor. First screenshot also looks like it was taken a decent amount of time after the backpass was made too.

Keeper has to clear it

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And the poster i replied to said a better keeper means more victories from jan, when every defeat has been more our attack not defence

Our defence has cost us every bit as much as our attack.

Gifted the tarriers two goals in January, the two final goals, gifted them 2 goals in the 3-2 game, and the goal in the semi. First Aberdeen goal was a fluke and our defence was piss poor for the second.

1 minute ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Yeah I imagine so but I think his value is quite significant compared to Kamara. I know it's not great but transfermarkt has him at €12m so how much are we looking at paying for the sake of a few months.

shouldnt be paying anywhere more than a couple of million for any player in that position, did we no pay about 1.5m for cantwell or something? from what I've read they just don't want to lose him for nothing so I'd think as long as they make their money back ($2.2m or something I think I've seen) then aye

Very interesting about Cifuentes, seems to be our first major signing of the rebuild outside of Sterling/Dowell captures.

Assume that's our midfield 3 of Raskin, Cifuentes, Cantwell sorted. Either as a flat 3 with Raskin deepest, or double pivot with Cifuentes playing more box to box in support of Cantwell playing ahead. 

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

Agree mate. Souttar was definitely in that bracket of the top talent and I think he’ll be a good player for us. Jones was too and was a disappointment as you say. Other than that not went for anybody of real quality. Barker is in the same category as Wright, nobody thought they were worth signing even as an SPFL player. Barker was signed because he hit the post against us, was a bizarre signing. 

Think Barker had connections from time at Man City academy and our DOF at the time. 

Just now, Broxi said:

Very interesting about Cifuentes, seems to be our first major signing of the rebuild outside of Sterling/Dowell captures.

Assume that's our midfield 3 of Raskin, Cifuentes, Cantwell sorted. Either as a flat 3 with Raskin deepest, or double pivot with Cifuentes playing more box to box in support of Cantwell playing ahead. 

midfield will be half decent with a few away & Dowell, Cifuentes & Lawrence back.

12 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He was given a hospital ball, who says our next keeper is going to be usain bolt as well

To give mcgregor any blame for the recent parkhead loss is mental, he was sold down the river every goal

He wasn’t helped by shite defending that is for sure, no one is asking for Bolt ffs, a 41 yo keeper who has lost most of the positive things he had and his negatives got worse. A quicker keeper gets to the ball before Jota imo.

anyway it is a moot argument, I think McCrorie can do a job for us. Not many keepers have had 2 shut outs in a row against the other mob

11 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

And the poster i replied to said a better keeper means more victories from jan, when every defeat has been more our attack not defence

No the point was that if we’ve been conceding call it 10 goals extra a season. That’s not a risk you can take for next year because that’s likely to translate into dropped points. 

Of course there’s not a direct mapping of goals to points. You could concede 3 a game for 3 games and win each game 4-3 and it would cost you no points. Or you could concede those 9 goals in games where you only score 1 and it costs you 18 points. But in expectation, less goals conceded equals more points. It’s very simple

And if you want to go back just over the last few months. I’d argue there’s quite a few results that could have been different. I think a mobile keeper closes down Souttar’s back pass. I think a mobile keeper can do better for both sheep goals. I think a mobile keeper does way better for Jota’s goal. Thats 3 massive differences in results right there that next season could be a cup and a league. 

Just now, stevemac said:

midfield will be half decent with a few away & Dowell, Cifuentes & Lawrence back.

Being totally honest I have no hopes for Dowell, maybe he'll surprise me. If he fills an Arfield/Hagi role of not really ever being needed unless he turns out to actually be good and we want to play him then fair enough. If we get Lawrence back to full fitness then that midfield with Lawrence as an extra for attack and Jack as an extra for further back then it is in a good place. Lundstram and Dowell as the extra cover. 

Just now, dummiesoot said:

He wasn’t helped by shite defending that is for sure, no one is asking for Bolt ffs, a 41 yo keeper who has lost most of the positive things he had and his negatives got worse. A quicker keeper gets to the ball before Jota imo.

anyway it is a moot argument, I think McCrorie can do a job for us. Not many keepers have had 2 shut outs in a row against the other mob

It's not too dissimilar to Allan McGregor.

He was on loan to Dunfermline, we lost our main keeper (Letizi was shite anyway) McGregor came back, done alright, Letizi came in for a few more games, believe he got injured or the call was just made nah pish. 

McGregor got the shout. Rest is history.

No one at that time looking at McGregor coming back in from Dunfermline thought he'd go on to have the career he has had.

McCrorie just needs the chance imo.

2 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Being totally honest I have no hopes for Dowell,

Norwich fanbase tend to agree with you. 

'Serial underperformer' and 'poor man's Cantwell' were a couple things I read on their forum.

Plus he has the injury bug. 

I see Romano mentioned The 4th Official in his tweet though, suggesting he's reporting what they're saying rather than what he's saying himself. Although I assume he wouldn't tweet it if he didn't have confidence in it, might just be sort of "as first reported by.."

1 minute ago, OrangeRab said:

For anyone still trying to claim McGregor doesn’t cost us goals with his mobility/reaction time/positioning. Play spot the difference. 

B383260D-48B0-4663-A0D4-AFB5ACC2ACE1.png

ECFC37BD-F91F-4651-9ECB-C46696580E6B.png

Him not coming off his line has absolutely cost us goals. That header against us is absolutely criminal. Must be terrifying being a central defender when your keeper doesnt come off the line at all.

4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I see Romano mentioned The 4th Official in his tweet though, suggesting he's reporting what they're saying rather than what he's saying himself. Although I assume he wouldn't tweet it if he didn't have confidence in it, might just be sort of "as first reported by.."

What has Romano tweeted? - Nevermind, just seen it there.