Phil Bardsley

G.E.C.

1 minute ago, G.E.C. said:

Retired.

Liked him for his very short spell here. Scored a freekick against Falkirk.

IMG_9242.jpeg

Didn’t mind him, but a horrible period of awful recruitment from Le Guen.

Who was the other useless cunt that came up with him? Lee Martin or something like that?

10 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Who was the other useless cunt that came up with him? Lee Martin or something like that?

Yeah Lee Martin.

Bardsley, as shown by the rest of his career, was a decent player but I'm sure he had a fall out with Le Guen after he slide tackled someone in training?

5 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Yeah Lee Martin.

Bardsley, as shown by the rest of his career, was a decent player but I'm sure he had a fall out with Le Guen after he slide tackled someone in training?

Bardsley recalled: "At Man United we trained like we played - hard. But at Rangers the manager was from a different culture. We had a training session and I went in for a tackle (on Thomas Buffel).

"It was a rash tackle, I suppose, but the lad was OK. But the manager stopped the game and sent me home. He said my attitude wasn't right and that, to me, was a real insult. That was the end of my Rangers career."

2 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

On a par with the fox in the box for dropped in the face as a youngster. 

2 hours ago, The Specky Non Liar - Sometimes said:

Bardsley recalled: "At Man United we trained like we played - hard. But at Rangers the manager was from a different culture. We had a training session and I went in for a tackle (on Thomas Buffel).

"It was a rash tackle, I suppose, but the lad was OK. But the manager stopped the game and sent me home. He said my attitude wasn't right and that, to me, was a real insult. That was the end of my Rangers career."

Ironically the person who implemented that type of training at Man Utd was... Walter Smith.

The French seem to do well enough on the international stage and their club teams do well enough on the European stage so not so sure that culturally across the board they go easy on tackles in training. For all we know Bardsley got sent home that day for more than just the tackle he's referring to, and that that tackle was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Thinking about it I'm sure that more was going on because it's public knowledge that PLG obviously, eventually and completely lost the dressing room; or at least half of it anyway. 

6 hours ago, hammer93 said:

That was to toughen Ronaldo up

I think that story might have been exaggerated a little bit. Other Utd players have talked about how Smith never blew for fouls and allowed people to go in hard just in general, there's never actually been any evidence that he did it specifically for Ronaldo. 

It's a good story though even if not true.

10 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I think that story might have been exaggerated a little bit. Other Utd players have talked about how Smith never blew for fouls and allowed people to go in hard just in general, there's never actually been any evidence that he did it specifically for Ronaldo. 

It's a good story though even if not true.

Apart from Darren Fletcher specifically saying it was done for Ronaldo.

34 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

No he didn't. He said Smith came in and changed it. He said he thinks it was done for Ronaldo, but Smith never said that and no other player has ever said that.

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed it at Walter's memorial.

That good enough for you?

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed it at Walter's memorial.

That good enough for you?

Ferguson told how Smith refereed training games and would take a lax approach to challenges on Ronaldo, who “came with all the tricks in the world and wanted to beat all the players”.

“He walked up to me and says ‘Boss, do they not have fouls in Scotland?’ And he learned. He learned how to pass the ball and he can thank Walter for that. No question.”

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12473060/ronaldo-learned-to-pass-because-of-walter-smith

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Ferguson told how Smith refereed training games and would take a lax approach to challenges on Ronaldo, who “came with all the tricks in the world and wanted to beat all the players”.

“He walked up to me and says ‘Boss, do they not have fouls in Scotland?’ And he learned. He learned how to pass the ball and he can thank Walter for that. No question.”

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12473060/ronaldo-learned-to-pass-because-of-walter-smith

Legend.