*****The Official Dundee v Rangers Match Thread*****

23 minutes ago, The Beast said:

The system needs players who can play in that style. Having Silva and Sima neither of whom are natural wide players play in that system is fucking madness. At the very least put Sima on the left where he was so effective for us before he got injured.

Yeah Sima looks a different player when he is breaking down the left. Seems ineffective on the right, would play him central or left wing. These are the things you hope Phil picks up on but he is always hampered by the available options, and hindered by our general poor quality.

1 minute ago, BookWorm said:

Yeah Sima looks a different player when he is breaking down the left. Seems ineffective on the right, would play him central or left wing. These are the things you hope Phil picks up on but he is always hampered by the available options, and hindered by our general poor quality.

Ultimately we are still expecting him to make a silk purse out of a sows ear! The fact that our shit players should be far better than the hammer throwers for our opposition tells me it comes down to hunger and the fact that our players aren't playing for something. They're playing because they can, gone are the days when they gave their heart and soul because it meant something. Now we can have  massively overpaid players who feel no urge to put everything on the line because they'll get 20k a week regardless. 

Can't believe what I saw tonight, that was absolutely abysmal, we showed nothing at all from the start, in fact that's the third match in a row we either lost or nearly lost a goal inside the first minute, even by our own recent standards, this was terrible, we looked like a team that was on it's knees, and chucked it completely.

I tend to be positive and optimistic but I'm no naive, I know we're not a good team but we do have better players than every other club in Scotland other than them, going for a title and to put in a performance like that, so insipid, uninspired, scared and just down right lazy is unforgivable, there's zero leadership in that dressing room, Clement does exude leadership but when the players go onto that pitch, there's no one you can hang your hat on to deliver when it really matters, who have we got that can inspire their teammates or fire them up, just get a song out of them? Nobody.

I'm not surprised we dropped more points, I can handle that, these things can happen, it's the manner we dropped them without a fight or a fuss that kicks you in the balls, a club filled with perennial losers.

1 minute ago, islanderbear84 said:

Ultimately we are still expecting him to make a silk purse out of a sows ear! The fact that our shit players should be far better than the hammer throwers for our opposition tells me it comes down to hunger and the fact that our players aren't playing for something. They're playing because they can, gone are the days when they gave their heart and soul because it meant something. Now we can have  massively overpaid players who feel no urge to put everything on the line because they'll get 20k a week regardless. 

Big Phil has his work cut out for sure. Don't envy the guy having to sort this shit show out.

7 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Three at the back if Ridvan is out. Sterling in Central midfield. Sima on the left not right and Silva in the middle before Dessers or Roofe. 

For a start.

Given our full backs are encouraged to get forward already that would be a more defensive formation. We don’t need 3 centre halves against teams in our league. It’s all about the players on the park. Tactics haven’t caused the last 2 performances it’s been the players on the park. I personally think it’s been the pressure that’s got to them. We just don’t have a winning mentality in that squad.

I'm trying to look for any silver linings after the last 2 debacles. The only thing I can come up with is it's surely the end of the twatty yellow Submarine song. Sad times when that's the only positive I see 

11 minutes ago, The Beast said:

So why not play Sima as a 9?

I would but bot my decision. I’ve said all season to play him there. Made his name as a striker but reckon most managers thoughts are that he’s better than the other options out wide and playing Dessers up front is better than playing Wright or McCausland out wide. There is a bit of truth in that last part. 

Just now, westenclosure2008 said:

Given our full backs are encouraged to get forward already that would be a more defensive formation. We don’t need 3 centre halves against teams in our league. It’s all about the players on the park. Tactics haven’t caused the last 2 performances it’s been the players on the park. I personally think it’s been the pressure that’s got to them. We just don’t have a winning mentality in that squad.

Potatoes potatos tbh it doesn't matter for this season. If the fenians fuck up and/or we can pull a rabbit out of the hat by winning at the paedodome and we win the title then no-one will care.

Even if we do somehow win the league we still need a major restructure imho. 

Just now, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

When was our last 0.0 draw in the league? Can think of Prague away this season but can’t think of any in the league for a while?

Taigs? At parkhead? 

12 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

I don’t buy the excuse the players are not good  enough, or the tactics. This is the same group that qualified for last 16 in Europa league. 

The issue is mentality and pressure. They lack belief and mental strength. 

👍🏻 It’s a mentality/pressure issue definitely. Drawing the game against the tarriers at Ibrox was enough to spook Tav, Goldson, Lundstram, etc and there’s a rub off to the others.

Cantwell, Lawerence, Dowell, have been absolute pish since.

We don’t have anything that even remotely looks like a striker - we might/could have got over the line with goal contributions from other positions but who now? After the tarrier game there’s absolutely no chance of any of them stepping up to the plate.

Their bottle’s crashed!

16 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Potatoes potatos tbh it doesn't matter for this season. If the fenians fuck up and/or we can pull a rabbit out of the hat by winning at the paedodome and we win the title then no-one will care.

Even if we do somehow win the league we still need a major restructure imho. 

Your original point was that we should’ve changed the system tonight but then tactics are “potatoes patotos”. Fuck sake mate at least stand by your convictions.

Not a fucking chance that’s happening anyway. 

29 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Can't believe what I saw tonight, that was absolutely abysmal, we showed nothing at all from the start, in fact that's the third match in a row we either lost or nearly lost a goal inside the first minute, even by our own recent standards, this was terrible, we looked like a team that was on it's knees, and chucked it completely.

I tend to be positive and optimistic but I'm no naive, I know we're not a good team but we do have better players than every other club in Scotland other than them, going for a title and to put in a performance like that, so insipid, uninspired, scared and just down right lazy is unforgivable, there's zero leadership in that dressing room, Clement does exude leadership but when the players go onto that pitch, there's no one you can hang your hat on to deliver when it really matters, who have we got that can inspire their teammates or fire them up, just get a song out of them? Nobody.

I'm not surprised we dropped more points, I can handle that, these things can happen, it's the manner we dropped them without a fight or a fuss that kicks you in the balls, a club filled with perennial losers.

A good post and I highlighted the most relevant point.

We have needed leadership on-field for a few years now.   Tav and Goldson are not leaders, they show no drive for others to follow, neither show any ability to inspire or cajole others.    They show a defeatist attitude instead of a winning mentality when the chips are down.    A more gutless pair it's difficult to find.

15 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

A good post and I highlighted the most relevant point.

We have needed leadership on-field for a few years now.   Tav and Goldson are not leaders, they show no drive for others to follow, neither show any ability to inspire or cajole others.    They show a defeatist attitude instead of a winning mentality when the chips are down.    A more gutless pair it's difficult to find.

I commend Tav for scoring big game penalties, that shows he does have some bottle, but it's every other part of his game that lets him down, I don't want to single anyone out but he is the captain and unfortunately for him that means when discussing lack of on field leadership, the buck will always start and stop at him, if your captain doesn't lead then you've got a problem.

I'm loathe to highlight positives in that mob but look at their last two captains, they almost became characatures of what they used to be, just to inspire their teammates and fans, two years ago the night they knocked us off the top of the League, Callum McGregor, who up until then was always considered to be a quiet type of charcter, was chasing Borna abour screaming shitebag at him, he intimidated him that night and he's no been the same since, all of a sudden he started being this overly vocal character, we need someone that can do that and can back it up on the ball.

I was embarrassed that a tim not only spoke to a Rangers player like that, but got away with it and never even regretted it, 2 years on and we've still not got anyone who would stand up to that while they seem to have more.

5 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

I commend Tav for scoring big game penalties, that shows he does have some bottle, but it's every other part of his game that lets him down, I don't want to single anyone out but he is the captain and unfortunately for him that means when discussing lack of on field leadership, the buck will always start and stop at him, if your captain doesn't lead then you've got a problem.

I'm loathe to highlight positives in that mob but look at their last two captains, they almost became characatures of what they used to be, just to inspire their teammates and fans, two years ago the night they knocked us off the top of the League, Callum McGregor, who up until then was always considered to be a quiet type of charcter, was chasing Borna abour screaming shitebag at him, he intimidated him that night and he's no been the same since, all of a sudden he started being this overly vocal character, we need someone that can do that and can back it up on the ball.

I was embarrassed that a tim not only spoke to a Rangers player like that, but got away with it and never even regretted it, 2 years on and we've still not got anyone who would stand up to that while they seem to have more.

You single him out the fucking right back when those who can affect the game more don’t:

is Silvia’s miss at half time v the fenians on Tav? Is the Lawrence foul on tav? We know he fucked the first goal, what about the other two? What about when he was joint top scorer in the Europa league? I could go on and on and on and on and on 

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

You single him out the fucking right back when those who can affect the game more don’t:

is Silvia’s miss at half time v the fenians on Tav? Is the Lawrence foul on tav? We know he fucked the first goal, what about the other two? What about when he was joint top scorer in the Europa league? I could go on and on and on and on and on 

He lost the ball that started the attack for their corner at the second.

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

He lost the ball that started the attack for their corner at the second.

He did but what about sterling and his position for both? 

Just now, ForeverAndEver said:

Thought he was poor for the 3rd

Goals aren’t lost at an original

mistake; its why bassey is as culpable as wright for frankfurts goal 

19 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

The captain will always get singled out when there's a lack of on field leadership, it is what it is.

As for against the Tims, we were 1 down after about 20 seconds because Tav can't read a game, a game that if we won would've made it very difficult for them to catch us, and he shot his bolt before the referee took his whistle out his mouth from kick off, from that moment on our whole advantage in this league was fucked.