Is Clement getting an easy ride?

34 minutes ago, Ladytonbear said:

Stand aside us falling back into changing manager every year or 18 months and needing a “full rebuild” every time, I honestly don’t think we will get a better manager than Clement. He is a proven winner, but not a miracle worker. He can only pish with the cock he has, and we all know the current squad is not what he needs to succeed.  Can’t even blame him for the signings this summer if he has been told he has no money until we sell, as he alluded to in the interview. He needs significant backing.  Rather than worrying about him getting an easy ride from the fans, I would be more concerned that he walks.

The man is not above criticism, he has made mistakes and there is nothing wrong with pointing these out. The team he selected for the last old firm at ibrox was a real puzzler for example. I agree though that we will struggle to get a better manager if he gets booted and i am heart sick of going through the circus search for a new manager and rebuild every year or so. Its soul destroying. Suppose we just have to pray he gets it right.

Just now, MacBoyd said:

Get a grip of them and make them play for the badge?

Walter couldn't get them to do that. It's guys we are trying to move on this Summer, they're just going through the motions as anyone else would if their work was getting rid of them.

Reality -

GK
Butland - Great Keeper
Kelly - A Good 2nd Keeper to have.

Full Back
Sterling - Good signing and all want him to stay.
Jefte - Young player signed for 500k who has had one good performance and one bad.
Yilmaz - Can't stay fit, seems to flit between great and bad.(Not Clement's signing)
Tavernier - Trying to move on for transfer funds.

CB
Souttar - Not good enough to ever be the starting CB.
Davies - Not good enough to be a backup.
Goldson - Good but on the decline, looks like we are trying to use him to build up funds.
Balogun - Good backup.
Nsiala - Signed for the Future

CM
Diomande - Early signs look good.
Barron - Early signs look very good.
Raskin - Very average and now injured.
Lawrence - Finished but linked with a move away.
Dowell - Shite and doubt anyone wants him.
Cantwell - Trying to move on for transfer funds.

Wingers
Cortes - Coming back from long term injury and will take time.
McCausland - Still learning and hopefully a good sub player for us.
Matondo - Average winger, if we could move him on we would. Likely to be a backup this season but capable of some goals/assists.
Wright - Shite and linked with moves away.

ST
Danilo - Coming back from long term injury.
Igamame - Signed for the future to be a backup.
Dessers - Shite but sometimes scores, trying to move him on.
Lammers - Trying to move on for transfer funds.

Our squad is absolutely shocking, without us moving on some of the players in italics we aren't going to see what Clement can do.

Clement not the problem. This squad is in dire need of repair and may take longer to fix than people are willing to wait. We have too many average players on big salaries and there's hardly a queue of clubs lining up to sign them.

The reality some people need to accept is that we may take 2 or 3 windows to actually get to where we need to be, and Clement needs to be the man to take us through that process. 

Can't keep chopping and changing every 12-18 months.

Also, knee-jerk threads about the manager after a friendly loss to Man United are a bit odd imo.

11 minutes ago, DeanMK said:

Clement not the problem. This squad is in dire need of repair and may take longer to fix than people are willing to wait. We have too many average players on big salaries and there's hardly a queue of clubs lining up to sign them.

The reality some people need to accept is that we may take 2 or 3 windows to actually get to where we need to be, and Clement needs to be the man to take us through that process. 

Can't keep chopping and changing every 12-18 months.

Also, knee-jerk threads about the manager after a friendly loss to Man United are a bit odd imo.

That yesterday was chronic to watch. We should at least be able to implement some recognisible system/style of play even though a lot of these players are pish. 

Can hardly string 3 passes together, the manager has to take some responsibility for that. 

2 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

He’s not had a full season, he got us fighting for a league title, won us a trophy and finished top of the Europa group stage we were in.

We’ve many problems but why should he not get an ‘easy ride’ for the time being while he’s been thrown under the bus by the board?

For what reasons until now would you want the fans to be on his back?

We were the better team in the cup final Wright Butland and the refs let us down.

The players cost us against Ross County especially Dessers missing easy chances for 3-0. I’ll give him faults for the dens game but even at that the players let him down, such as Lundstram at parkhead.

We’re all flat and dreading the season ahead so surely this is the time to actually back the players we have and especially the manager rather than trying to get rid of another and have a rinse repeat every October 

Not sure anyone wants fans to be on his back. But it seems there's some who won't be on his back for pretty much anything next season which imo is wrong.

We shouldn't be dropping many if any points at home next season other than arguably the scum. We shouldn't be dropping many points away from home either, especially v bottom 6 teams. We should be making a decent account of ourselves in the EL where we'll likely end up. We should see progress on the style and tactics and identity of the team we want to be. We should see improvement individually and collectively.

I hope to fuck he succeeds. I'll probably give him longer than most, as I've done with most managers. But no fucking way should he get a free pass if he's failing on the points in the para above regardless of how angry we are with the Board or players. Rangers managers need to win things.

Edit. Big Ecks hands were tied like fuck and he brought silverware whilst not being given get out of jail passes for seasons.

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Edit. Big Ecks hands were tied like fuck and he brought silverware whilst not being given get out of jail passes for seasons.

If social media was in a thing 03-04 (finished 18 points behind celtic) then Eck would have got dogs abuse online and probably been forced out long before he was.

1 minute ago, RFC55 said:

Id rather not be on his back, I stayed quite loyal to Gerrard because year on year I seen things improve. FFS from a year before progres knocking us out to basically the spartak away game when our goal to go two goals clear was wrongly chipped off he nearly had us in the last 32.

That was within a year so we know what progress looks like. 

Every season I get a sense of something good on the horizon and try and back it. But this year I feel absolutely fucking nothing.

Traipsing away to brimingham on Wednesday the whole day will cost me about 300 quid for a friendly as I take my boy but it's what we do as a fan base, but I've never felt this low with us despite some horrific times and there have been worse but I just don't see anything changing.

It feels like Clement has a system and that we don't have any players that can play that system.

Kent, Alfie etc all went at the right time but people don't realise how hard these guys are to replace. Tav has been out most influential player for about 7 years and although I think him going will actually bring a better balance to the team but his influence no matter what many call him will be hard to replace as will his knack of digging us out a hole (I think now is the time for him to go btw) 

Tav and Kent should have went a couple of seasons before so we could afford replacements. 

We are undoubtedly going to feel it selling Tav and Goldson but it’s the right thing to do as they’re the only players on any sort of decline we build up some transfer funds from to allow Clement to implement the football he wants. It’s going to take time though as our squad is shocking now.

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Not sure anyone wants fans to be on his back. But it seems there's some who won't be on his back for pretty much anything next season which imo is wrong.

We shouldn't be dropping many if any points at home next season other than arguably the scum. We shouldn't be dropping many points away from home either, especially v bottom 6 teams. We should be making a decent account of ourselves in the EL where we'll likely end up. We should see progress on the style and tactics and identity of the team we want to be. We should see improvement individually and collectively.

I hope to fuck he succeeds. I'll probably give him longer than most, as I've done with most managers. But no fucking way should he get a free pass if he's failing on the points in the para above regardless of how angry we are with the Board or players. Rangers managers need to win things.

This is it, there are quite a few with @J-Maestro and @The Specky Forum Organiser probably being the most consistently vocal where Clement is virtually blameless.

It’s not all on him either but the football bar a very small handful of games has been fucking shocking, and it’s really really basic stuff.

That he kept trying the same thing that wasn’t working in several OFs too was worrying.

Everyone hoping we’d see him introduce something over the summer but it’s more of the same pish.

If we get the quality we need in those players will probably bail any manager out but it’s worrying he needs bailed out.

He’s not really improved a single player despite him claiming players are better than they were 6 months ago.

10 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Id rather not be on his back, I stayed quite loyal to Gerrard because year on year I seen things improve. FFS from a year before progres knocking us out to basically the spartak away game when our goal to go two goals clear was wrongly chipped off he nearly had us in the last 32.

Every season I get a sense of something good on the horizon and try and back it. But this year I feel absolutely fucking nothing.

Traipsing away to brimingham on Wednesday the whole day will cost me about 300 quid for a friendly as I take my boy but it's what we do as a fan base, but I've never felt this low with us despite some horrific times and there have been worse but I just don't see anything changing.

It feels like Clement has a system and that we don't have any players that can play that system.

Kent, Alfie etc all went at the right time but people don't realise how hard these guys are to replace. Tav has been out most influential player for about 7 years and although I think him going will actually bring a better balance to the team but his influence no matter what many call him will be hard to replace as will his knack of digging us out a hole (I think now is the time for him to go btw) 

Pretty much agree with every word m8.

It would seem we are all agree that the current squad are highly paid under achievers. We agree that a complete rebuild is required and a different mindset is required on player trading. There is no money to spend and highly paid under achievers we would rather sell, will not move because other clubs won't meet the wage demand.

How can we then give Clement a hard time? He is quite literally fighting with one hand behind his back. This will take time but we can only hope that this is the bottom of the pit and now we have this realisation we can never repeat the kind of mistakes we have made in the past. Like allowing players to run contracts down or offering ridiculous long term deals to players who are already at the tail end of their careers.

It’s going to be a rough season I think. I can stomach it if we can see a clear improvement in style of football and he drops idiots like Dessers

He won’t survive bad results if we continue playing the way we are.

Feel like I’ve said this so often today but I have a really bad feeling he rates Dessers and unless Danilo scores 2 or 3 goals in his 15 minute cameos then Dessers will continue to start all our games 

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

This is it, there are quite a few with @J-Maestro and @The Specky Forum Organiser probably being the most consistently vocal where Clement is virtually blameless.

It’s not all on him either but the football bar a very small handful of games has been fucking shocking, and it’s really really basic stuff.

That he kept trying the same thing that wasn’t working in several OFs too was worrying.

Everyone hoping we’d see him introduce something over the summer but it’s more of the same pish.

If we get the quality we need in those players will probably bail any manager out but it’s worrying he needs bailed out.

He’s not really improved a single player despite him claiming players are better than they were 6 months ago.

He'll be bailed out by better players?

Which manager would win the league with these ones?

Just now, .Williamson. said:

It’s going to be a rough season I think. I can stomach it if we can see a clear improvement in style of football and he drops idiots like Dessers

He won’t survive bad results if we continue playing the way we are.

Feel like I’ve said this so often today but I have a really bad feeling he rates Dessers and unless Danilo scores 2 or 3 goals in his 15 minute cameos then Dessers will continue to start all our games 

Honestly with what I seen of Danilo last season, I don't think there is much between them. :ang:

Just now, steven33jackie said:

It would seem we are all agree that the current squad are highly paid under achievers. We agree that a complete rebuild is required and a different mindset is required on player trading. There is no money to spend and highly paid under achievers we would rather sell, will not move because other clubs won't meet the wage demand.

How can we then give Clement a hard time? He is quite literally fighting with one hand behind his back. This will take time but we can only hope that this is the bottom of the pit and now we have this realisation we can never repeat the kind of mistakes we have made in the past. Like allowing players to run contracts down or offering ridiculous long term deals to players who are already at the tail end of their careers.

We've spent 2m on a forward that's not to be considered for this squad, leaving us with Dessers and an unfit Danilo. How can we blame Clement? You'll soon see if Shankland hits early form scoring goals (maybe against us) he could be scoring for us whilst Dessers does Dessers stuff.

19 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

As much as Tav's leadership is questioned quite a bit, first thing I thought when I saw the line up on Saturday was "who are the leaders in that team?" Butland is about the only one. 

I also think it's time for him to go but we are sorely lacking in strong characters still.