Board Issues

the goal machine

3 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

See the whole ‘we need investment’ thing, does that not go against the FFP stuff?

Are Man City not at the point that their owners can’t put more money in, so they are trying to game the system hence the charges?

Is what we need actually proper governance, structure and leadership from an operational board rather than shareholders stepping in to run?

Just putting in £xm of investment only kicks the can down the road as it's not sustainable and results in us running at a significant loss. That's effectively what has happened over the past 5-7 years and we've now run out of more money to put in. There's only a finite amount of money people will put into the club knowing they won't see a return on it. What is needed is an increase in annual revenue.

Our annual revenue is too low compared to our expenses. celtic's revenue is around £40m higher than ours. That's what needs to be increased, whether that is through increased income from player sales, commercial revenue, European revenue etc.

Before our Europa run and player sales that season we were on the verge of breaking UEFA's FFP and if we just add investment money without growing our revenue we'll end up back there eventually.

49 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Stronger league should in theory mean more interest which should attract more money which should benefit us. Scottish football is crying out for Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs to show some ambition.

Hopefully, aye. 

A stronger league is much better for Europlean places, as well as tele deals and sponsorship etc. 

With everything else around us though, my immediate thoughts are worst case scenario.

59 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Stronger league should in theory mean more interest which should attract more money which should benefit us. Scottish football is crying out for Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs to show some ambition.

I’d say that the best I’ve ever seen Scottish football was in late 80s, early 90s when Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts etc were competitive and had international players throughout their sides. The overall standard of matches was far higher than now. Some of that was started by David Holmes and Souness though. We need a similar inspired boardroom able to bring in funding that will see sustained success return. 

11 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Fuck all will change at Hearts, let’s be real

If he takes a serious interest in Hearts and doesn't just use them as a feeder club I think everyone would need to take them seriously based off his track record. He took USG from the 2nd tier to challenging for trophies every season and Brighton from something like 19th in League 1 to the Europa League with the best player trading model in England.

36 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

I’d say that the best I’ve ever seen Scottish football was in late 80s, early 90s when Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts etc were competitive and had international players throughout their sides. The overall standard of matches was far higher than now. Some of that was started by David Holmes and Souness though. We need a similar inspired boardroom able to bring in funding that will see sustained success return. 

That was definitely a stronger overall league back in those days. But these days we are almost at the stage of the title being decided only on the 4 games between us and them.

Some of the fall off in competition needs to be pointed at the people running our game, they have sold our league short in terms of TV rights and Sponsorship as far back as the Setanta deal. While we have watched our neighbouring league become the richest in the world. With broadcasting from the likes of Sky, TNT and even terrestial being UK wide, it would be difficult to restrict what is shown where so our game is really cast adrift in terms of value.

I have no answer for that, but better governance shouldn't have let it get to these depths as it's a long climb back up.

I would only hope that someone like Amazon or Apple got an interest in our game for a worldwide streaming broadcast to give it some extra value.

But it's a bit of a catch 22, we may need more competition from at least 4 more clubs to generate that interest, and it may take money to generate 4 stronger clubs.

3 hours ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Need to wait and see how it pans out but I just cant see our fans accepting being part of a multi club system or whatever you want to call it. Either formally or informally. 

I'd be very surprised if Hearts didn't become a place where those clubs, particularly Brighton sent their players to develop.

Why not?

celtic are clearly (informally) tied to the City group. Helps them no end. 

14 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Why not?

celtic are clearly (informally) tied to the City group. Helps them no end. 

Our fanbase isn't exactly trusting/welcoming to outsiders/investors at boardroom level, I can't see people happy at playing second fiddle to any potential interested parties clubs in a top 5 league. Obviously maybe slightly different it if was a Madrid, Bayern etc, clubs who are on City's level.

57 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

If he takes a serious interest in Hearts and doesn't just use them as a feeder club I think everyone would need to take them seriously based off his track record. He took USG from the 2nd tier to challenging for trophies every season and Brighton from something like 19th in League 1 to the Europa League with the best player trading model in England.

Can’t see it 

7 minutes ago, The Specky Forum Organiser said:

Our fanbase isn't exactly trusting/welcoming to outsiders/investors at boardroom level, I can't see people happy at playing second fiddle to any potential interested parties clubs in a top 5 league. Obviously maybe slightly different it if was a Madrid, Bayern etc, clubs who are on City's level.

I’m not sure we really have much say tbh.

We don’t have a support capable of getting on the same page and mobilising to create change. We’re essentially at the mercy of the Board regardless because there’s always too many factions / egos / blazers to be chased. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I’m not sure we really have much say tbh.

We don’t have a support capable of getting on the same page and mobilising to create change. We’re essentially at the mercy of the Board regardless because there’s always too many factions / egos / blazers to be chased. 

Any new investors coming in who don't have the fanbase on side are on a hiding to nothing.

3 hours ago, BlueSuedeSambas said:

I don’t see why we couldn’t implement that sort of data driven recruitment strategy and still be successful.

We outspend every club in this league,  prior to this season that included celtic, so we are always going to have a chance at success purely because of the league we play in and the financial resources we have in comparison to everybody else. The main reason we haven’t been successful in recent years is because our recruitment is wasteful, scattergun and completely directionless. 

USG implemented it, in a league which is more comparable to ours, and while spending similar money to what we have on players over the past couple of years, have managed to muscle in on the likes of Anderlecht and Brugge to become an established force at the top end of Belgium and they are playing in Europe every season now. 

You can’t just copy and paste any system and expect it to work, nobody is daft enough to think that, but he owns a PL team, he’s helped USG grow, taking an powerhouse and implementing a version of something which has been successful at two clubs who work in completely different markets and levels and seeing if it can be implemented in a way that returns success in terms of trophies as well as financially in the transfer market would surely be the next logical step, and would surely be more interesting than pumping it into Hearts.

We wouldn't allow the time for it to be successful, ffs people want clement sacked already and he's literally trying to build for the future, up until sunday he was being slaughtered for the igamane and now people are wanting the boy to be our starting striker

We don't allow any sort of time for a strategy to be implemented, we should and i agree some form of strategy should be implemented, maybe clement and his team have a plan they have started we dont know and probably wont because we demand instant results 

USG and Brighton can bring in players with the expectation that they will eventually work out make them money etc, but if they arent 100% winning everygame at a canter then it's not a big issue 

We literally just won at the weekend, not allowing a single shot on target into us, could have won by 3 or more, and cunts are giving the team pelters

Great idea in theory, never work out here while the tarriers keep on winning shit