Formation

What is it with managers (seemingly always ones we employ), being completely unwilling to change formation to adapt to the squad we have. 

Persisting with a 4-2-3-1 is madness when we have one CF who has no link up play and no fit wide players with any pace. It screams of shoehorning players into positions, because of a stubbornness to change formation to react to injuries or how an opposition will line up.

Even Graham fucking Murty changed to a diamond in the middle when we had injuries and a lack of wide options. If we’d looked at this or a 3-5-2, it solves a lot of our problems…

CF who can’t play up top by himself? Give him another CF to play with.

No wide players barring the fullbacks? Pack the midfield and free Jefte and Tav to focus on attacking rather than being a back 4.

No control of the midfield? Drop a 10 and compensate for the fact we don’t have a CDM by adding another runner in there. 

Am I being too simplistic here? Sunday League managers would spot the above, why can’t Clement?  

We play with three at the back when building possession, Barron continually drops between the two centre halves.

And we play or have played 4-4-2 out of possession.

4-2-3-1 in of itself is so far down the list of issues, it’s how we’re coached within that formation and generally that’s the far bigger problem.

He talks a lot about players getting used to the ‘automation’ but we’re not seeing any consistent automated patterns of play. Not good ones anyway.

Formation irrelevant when players appear to have no idea what their job is.

Killie effectively played 4-2-4 with Kennedy and Armstrong making it 4-4-2 when threatened. Structured yet flexible.

The formation didn’t win the game - it was the organisation, the clarity of purpose and the superior mentality.

In our current state, no formation can help us.

When you think back to our most successful years, we’ve played with 2 strikers.

McCoist & Fleck

McCoist & Drinkell

Johnston & Hateley

McCoist & Hateley

Wallace & Amato

Novo & Prso

Boyd & Miller 

Now we have Dessers, who can’t hold the ball up and can’t run the channels. He must see that Dessers does not have the attributes to play up on his own. 
I’m sure he won’t change it. Looking at the game yesterday, I can’t believe he didn’t change it.

1 minute ago, Blues Brother said:

McCoist & Fleck

McCoist & Drinkell

Johnston & Hateley

McCoist & Hateley

Wallace & Amato

Novo & Prso

Boyd & Miller 

Now we have Dessers, who can’t hold the ball up and can’t run the channels. He must see that Dessers does not have the attributes to play up on his own. 
I’m sure he won’t change it. Looking at the game yesterday, I can’t believe he didn’t change it.

Modern football is obsessed with the 4-2-3-1 but clement didn’t even want to go to 2 up top in the game yesterday. Does my fucking nut in when managers refuse to move from their system especially when their system is horseshit and doesn’t work.

4 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

McCoist & Fleck

McCoist & Drinkell

Johnston & Hateley

McCoist & Hateley

Wallace & Amato

Novo & Prso

Boyd & Miller 

It’s mental to me that people keep harking back to 4-4-2.

Nearly every team used to play 4-4-2 - the game’s moved on.

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

It’s mental to me that people keep harking back to 4-4-2.

Nearly every team used to play 4-4-2 - the game’s moved on.

He said two up top. That could be a 3-5-2 or a 5-3-2 or 4-1-3-2, of 4–4-2 diamond….its not just 4-4-2 it’s having a striking partner for Dessers because he’s not a good lone striker.

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

Formation irrelevant when players appear to have no idea what their job is.

Killie effectively played 4-2-4 with Kennedy and Armstrong making it 4-4-2 when threatened. Structured yet flexible.

The formation didn’t win the game - it was the organisation, the clarity of purpose and the superior mentality.

In our current state, no formation can help us.

This is it, we appear 4-4-2 out of possession. The only other team I see doing this is Man Utd, who are also shite.

Were so easy to play around. It’s like the press isn’t by instructions/ training. It’s like players just decide on fly. It’s all over the shop, we get stretched way too easy.

We also sometimes invert the wide players but don’t appear setup for full backs bombing on. Just Barron to sometimes cover. 

All over the place and don’t have players to do whatever it’s supposed to be. Eye bleeding to watch.

3 minutes ago, MayboleLoyal_atb said:

Raskin for Barron on the hour mark when chasing a goal was a real game changing sub 

I detest raskin with a passion ,his 10 ft pass to the opposition sums him up 

2 years of wasted wages 

Barron is quite often deeper than the CHs. We have deployed this tactic for years with different managers. It's boring, tippy-tappy stuff out of defence only for Clement to state stats where we have all the possession. But the fact is, we virtually do nothing and go nowhere.

He is not a creative manager and is unable to change formations that would better complement the players available to him.

4 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

What is it with managers (seemingly always ones we employ), being completely unwilling to change formation to adapt to the squad we have. 

Persisting with a 4-2-3-1 is madness when we have one CF who has no link up play and no fit wide players with any pace. It screams of shoehorning players into positions, because of a stubbornness to change formation to react to injuries or how an opposition will line up.

Even Graham fucking Murty changed to a diamond in the middle when we had injuries and a lack of wide options. If we’d looked at this or a 3-5-2, it solves a lot of our problems…

CF who can’t play up top by himself? Give him another CF to play with.

No wide players barring the fullbacks? Pack the midfield and free Jefte and Tav to focus on attacking rather than being a back 4.

No control of the midfield? Drop a 10 and compensate for the fact we don’t have a CDM by adding another runner in there. 

Am I being too simplistic here? Sunday League managers would spot the above, why can’t Clement?  

Nope, you're spot on, the problem is modern coaches, they've been taught never to compromise their beliefs, it's not just Clement or any other guys we hire, it seems to be everyone.

There'll always be an exception to the rule somewhere, Gio was quite good at changing it mid game, but he came through the Dutch system where every player had to learn multiple positions, so that was coached into him from a very young age, but on the whole, modern managers just never deviate from their preferred system, which seems to be a carbon copy of everyone elses all over Europe.

14 minutes ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

I think he needs to try something different as well. We have no width or anyone capable of actually being effective wide. Going by what we have I'd go to a 3-5-2, but even when i started typing a team out it was depressing as fuck. 

IMG_3100.thumb.jpeg.7f2e16600d0141bdab5b78e619135b1b.jpeg

right footer on the right, left footer on the left, hit the byeline cross for 3 in the box and winger at the far post.

Danillo comes back and put him up top with Igmane.

Formation means nothing if you're no drilled into the with n without possession of it. 

Best football we've played in recent times and the best weve been against them was the 433 with inverted forwards, tav and borna overlapping. But the forwards all knew when to press, no just press high. 

A seen cerny run round dessers yesterday and chase the ball all the way over to the left wing at one point :lol: it's so disjointed it's laughable. Its all jargon but it feels like theres nae triggers or second press or fuck all, we just chase the baw a bit n if we dont get it hope for the best. 

Thats before you even start on build up play, it's non existent.