the bold gerrys article from news of the world

minstral

i hate that c--t so much but wonder what you all think of this article.

The article:

FOOTBALL triumphed over “anti-football†at Ibrox in midweek just as it did when Italy beat Scotland at Hampden and Croatia saw off England at Wembley.

The common denominator in defeat for managers Walter Smith, Alex McLeish and Steve McClaren? They all bottled it by kicking off at home with one up front, losing an early goal then changing plan to chase the game.

Real Rangers fans must now wonder what the future holds for their club. Where are they headed? What’s their ambition? Is there a game-plan or are they simply driftwood?

Is this approach to football one that any fans are prepared to accept?

Is the game to be an entertainment for them or manipulated by defensive managers hell-bent on self-preservation?

The Ibrox exodus when Lyon went 2-0 up perhaps provides the answer.

More than 16 years ago David Murray, below, was Rangers chairman and Walter Smith manager. Murray quit his post but stung by criticism of crippling debt returned with the new title of executive chairman.

Smith’s abject European record played a big part in his exit almost a decade ago. But his role as fireman in the wake of the Berti Vogts debacle with Scotland provided an unlikely Ibrox return when Paul le Guen’s short reign became a fiasco.

Like the SFA hierarchy with their Vogts appointment Murray had his back to the wall when his “moonbeam†crashed in flames. Like them he saw Smith as a safe pair of hands to clear up the charred debris.

But are safe hands enough? Are Rangers a better club 16 years on? Murray has recently made noises about selling up and as he watched the poverty of performance against Lyon the temptation to get out must have increased.

Smith is a cautious coach. That’s how he was being educated when I saw him sitting at a small desk in the corner of Dundee United boss Jim McLean’s cramped Tannadice office. It was a philosophy which saw Wee Jim bottle six Scottish Cup Finals at Hampden.

So Smith’s recent attempts at re-inventing himself and re-writing history as a couple of results went his way in the Champions League campaign were simply incredible — aided and abetted by dubious acolytes.

A number of the original Rangers media glove-puppets have turned grey while fraying and unravelling at the seams. But there’s a new breed replacing them who opine on a time when they were probably at primary school and writing wasn’t high on the curriculum.

Some things stated in the build-up to the Lyon match cannot go unchallenged because they are absolute balderdash and piffle.

Smith claimed his record of three wins in 18 Champions League group stage matches (now five in 24) was partly down to being over-positive in his first spell.

Apart from the 92-93 season when Rangers’ spirit saw them punch above their weight in a different format, that’s not the case.

He and assistant Archie Knox simply weren’t up to it.

They had an open cheque book and could later afford the likes of Paul Gascoigne and Brian Laudrup. Despite that they still failed.

No one expected Rangers to conjure up victories over Marcello Lippi’s formidable Juventus side but 4-1 in Turin and 4-0 at Ibrox was capitulation on a grand scale.

However, the real embarrassments came against Zurich Grasshopper, Auxerre and IFK Gothenburg who played to average crowds of 7,000.

Grasshopper won 3-0 while Auxerre won home and away. The 3-0 defeat by IFK prevented Rangers reaching the group stage.

Smith’s claims are nailed by his approach to the mid-90s Ajax match at Ibrox. Having been battered in the Amsterdam ArenA he went for damage limitation at home and took a 1-0 defeat.

His biggest problem remains a lack of tactical awareness. He’s attempted to smother that fact under a blanket of defensive strategy.

Even when he had better players than now he lacked the ability to influence a match as top coaches can. He also lacks invention.

For instance, with no pace on the flanks in midweek why not play Alan Hutton as an attacking wing back? Steven Whittaker could have marked Sidney Govou with Hutton doubling up when necessary.

Playing a lone striker at home is an admission of fear. It’s running up a white flag and unacceptable.

To succeed in football there has to be an element of risk. Hutton didn’t get out of his own half during the opening 45 minutes and did his reputation little good by ball watching and getting booked. His pace and attacking flair could have been used to put Lyon on the back foot early on and test a goalkeeper who looked nervous and flapped at the one cross Hutton provided in the second half.

It was Hutton who also forced the play forward sending Barry Ferguson through to provide the cross for Jean-Claude Darcheville’s incredible late miss.

Hutton could have got in behind Lyon’s defence and provided the ammunition for Lee McCulloch to knock down for predatory Kris Boyd who should have started instead of Daniel Cousin after an ill-timed outburst against his team-mates.

A strong manager would have booted the Frenchman into touch rather than accept the old, ridiculous excuse that Cousin’s comments had been lost in translation!

If you claim to be a big club you must act like one. Rangers didn’t with the Gretna postponement while in Cousin’s case I can think of past Rangers bosses who would have chased him down Edmiston Drive.

Exploiting Hutton’s attacking qualities with McCulloch and Boyd up front is something which could have brought Rangers the opening goal and changed the complexion of the game. But that takes imagination!

Instead attacking players were drip-fed into action as the home side chased the match in the second half.

Yes, Darcheville missed that sitter but Lyon squandered a great chance to make it 2-0 seconds earlier and Juninho had hit the bar.

There’s no denying the better side — by a distance — progressed.

The first goal would set the tone and Smith’s approach cost Rangers big time.

Yes, you can argue 4-5-1 helped take them to the wire in a group where they looked to have no chance.

But when you get into such a position at home you have to be bold and imaginative.

I tipped Rangers to narrowly win the SPL title because I thought they might just want it more than Celtic and they could yet do it because their rivals are no more than ordinary either despite clawing their way into knock-out stages.

But will the title be enough to appease the Ibrox legions? Can they accept Smith playing one striker at home in the SPL as he’s already done? It takes two to tango and Rangers are not for dancing.

What if Stuttgart, Barcelona and Lyon had kicked off at Ibrox then began playing keepy-uppy on the edge of their own penalty area? What would Rangers have done? These clubs came to play football the way it should be played.

I’m fed up being told by flawed managers and coaches that we just have to accept foreign clubs are technically better. It’s time we replaced this negative, defeatist mindset and had a complete rethink about how we prepare our youngsters and our teams for the European arena.

Meanwhile, David Murray has much thinking to do. Is this the football reputation he wants for Rangers? The status quo is not an option.

Apart from deciding if he has anything left to offer he has to look at the manager’s future too. Otherwise there will more empty blue seats greeting players on matchdays.

PS: How about “if they go to Dublin we will follow on†drowning out the Champions League Anthem?

The extremists now have their wish as the UEFA Cup surely takes you to such unfashionable football outposts!

I SEE one smiling man who broke his contract with Scotland presented a “sportscotland†gong to his smiling successor who did likewise.

I can only imagine it was inscribed: “Traitor of the Year Award - full 12 months’ commitment not required.†You couldn’t make it up!

Now that is pure bile and he should be crucified by Murray and co for it, but they won't. This is where we are falling down, we've no voices in the mhedia who will do the same to them when it goes tits up, like should be getting done to them after their defeat at Inverness and their blatant sectarian singing. But no the Prods with keyboards won't put their heads above the parapet and be counted. ! :sherlock:

Now that is pure bile and he should be crucified by Murray and co for it, but they won't. This is where we are falling down, we've no voices in the mhedia who will do the same to them when it goes tits up, like should be getting done to them after their defeat at Inverness and their blatant sectarian singing. But no the Prods with keyboards won't put their heads above the parapet and be counted. ! :sherlock:

What do you disagree with BD. Coz' face it, we had 3 chances to get 10 points and not once did we go for it!

What do you disagree with BD. Coz' face it, we had 3 chances to get 10 points and not once did we go for it!

The article has got heehaw to do with football, it's just another attack on us for what we are under the guise fo concern for Scottish football, this is a war we are engaged in this season and they are using every outlet to their advantage ! He's even got Bears agreeing with him for christs sake ! I think we all know our failings on and off the field but I'll be fcuked if I'll agree with this skank's billious article when it's only being used to get at us indirectly ! But everybody to their own mate ! :sherlock:

The article has got heehaw to do with football, it's just another attack on us for what we are under the guise fo concern for Scottish football, this is a war we are engaged in this season and they are using every outlet to their advantage ! He's even got Bears agreeing with him for christs sake ! I think we all know our failings on and off the field but I'll be fcuked if I'll agree with this skank's billious article when it's only being used to get at us indirectly ! But everybody to their own mate ! :sherlock:

are you fucking blind BD? The whole article is about our lack of flair and our defensive minded coach, everything to do with football.

Its not like him to actually tell it how it is.

However, I for one would happily see the fare on offer if it means we are the top dogs come May. We are in no position to be picky about performances just now. If it wasnt for two last day title wins since 2000, they would be going for 8 in a row this year! Get the title home and we can worry about performance later.

It is both an attack on RFC and on Smith and his strategy.

As far as WS is concerned his tactics are far too cautious especially at home.

We should have gone all out to beat Stuttgart and Lyon with two up front from the start. As far as the comment re Cousin - I very much agree.

are you fucking blind BD? The whole article is about our lack of flair and our defensive minded coach, everything to do with football.

He managed to mention ''If we go to Dublin etc', he managed to get the word extremist in directed at us ? And he managed to use the word 'traitor' directed at Rangers men. The footballing bit was just lip service to cover his smears towards us. Don't hear that scum callin mcgeady a traitor for turnin his back on Scotland and any drums beatin about them singin on sunday. Naw these people have got selective sectarian accusations and we're the target. Lets face he's wasn't sayin anything new that hasn't been said about our performances either in the league or CL. We know that already, as I said he just used it ! :sherlock:

I don't agree with the article or the over the top criticism Smith has received this season.

Boyd ahead of Cousin ? Who watched Boyd on Saturday ? Pish, again. And he was pish against Motherwell at Fir Park when Naismith partnered him too, so that isn't a combo that was ever going to transfer onto the champs league stage with any success either. Cousin was crap, but at least he has it within him to play the lone role competently at that level. He failed to produce, Smith took him off at half time. But I think Walter was right to start him in the first place. Boyd would have made feck all difference in that game.

Walter Smith will get the hero worship treatment again if he wins us the title in May. As he did after the Lyon game and the Old Firm game. It really is just so damn fickle when things go wrong. If before we started the champs league campaign, we were told that we will finish 3rd spot in that group, the fans would have been delighted. But because Walter did and the team did so well initially, hopes were raised and they're now being beaten about the head for not qualifying !

We were beaten because of a gulf in quality against Lyon, not tactics. 4-4-2, Buffel (christ, this guy has turned into a world beater from a chicken hearted fraud in a matter of months !) Boyd.............would have made no difference against Lyon. They are a quality side with quality players, and we were always getting beaten that night. Barcelona and Lyon are two vastly superior sides, and we competed well away from home against the German champions in a game that could have gone either way. We lost the 3rd goal after switching to 4-4-2 remember.

Smith has made some tactical mistakes this season in my view, you only have to look back to Saturday. But the big picture is, we are 2 points behind with 2 games in hand, and picked up 7 points in one hell of a tough group. If anyone can say that before the season started they would have been criticised Smith heavily for that.........I don't believe you.

Some of the plaudits Smith is going to receive from some of our fans is going to be very f*cking hollow come the end of the season. The treatment of the man after the Lyon game from some supporters was embarrassing. Get over it, we've got a league to win. You know, that thing that we all said with such sincerity at the start of the season was in fact our priority, and what Walter would be judged on.

He managed to mention ''If we go to Dublin etc', he managed to get the word extremist in directed at us ? And he managed to use the word 'traitor' directed at Rangers men. The footballing bit was just lip service to cover his smears towards us. Don't hear that scum callin mcgeady a traitor for turnin his back on Scotland and any drums beatin about them singin on sunday. Naw these people have got selective sectarian accusations and we're the target. Lets face he's wasn't sayin anything new that hasn't been said about our performances either in the league or CL. We know that already, as I said he just used it ! :sherlock:

I have you agree with you. The fat, partially brain-damaged bigot will use anything to snipe at us, fact or fiction.

I don't agree with it or the over the top criticism Smith has agreed.

Boyd ahead of Cousin ? Who watched Boyd on Saturday ? Pish, again. And he was pish against Motherwell at Fir Park when Naismith partnered him too, so that isn't a combo that was ever going to transfer onto the champs league stage with any success either. Cousin was crap, but at least he has it within him to play the lone role competently at that level. He failed to produce, Smith took him off at half time. But I think Walter was right to start him in the first place. Boyd would have made feck all difference in that game.

Walter Smith will get the hero worship treatment again if he wins us the title in May. As he did after the Lyon game and the Old Firm game. It really is just so damn fickle when things go wrong. If before we started the champs league campaign, we were told that we will finish 3rd spot in that group, the fans would have been delighted. But because Walter did and the team did so well initially, hopes were raised and they're now being beaten about the head for not qualifying !

We were beaten because of a gulf in quality against Lyon, not tactics. 4-4-2, Buffel (christ, this guy has turned into a world beater from a chicken hearted fraud in a matter of months !) Boyd.............would have made no difference against Lyon. They are a quality side with quality players, and we were always getting beaten that night. Barcelona and Lyon are two vastly superior sides, and we competed well away from home against the German champions in a game that could have gone either way. We lost the 3rd goal after switching to 4-4-2 remember.

Smith has made some tactical mistakes this season in my view, you only have to look back to Saturday. But the big picture is, we are 2 points behind with 2 games in hand, and picked up 7 points in one hell of a tough group. If anyone can say that before the season started they would have been criticised Smith heavily for that.........I don't believe you.

Some of the plaudits Smith is going to receive from some of our fans is going to be very f*cking hollow come the end of the season. The treatment of the man after the Lyon game from some supporters was embarrassing. Get over it, we've got a league to win. You know, that thing that we all said with such sincerity at the start of the season was in fact our priority, and what Walter would be judged on.

Apart from Buffel, I agree with everything you say. As far as I'm concerned, almost a year on from LeGuen, everything is very positive.