117 members have voted

1. 1. Should we buy Davis and at what price

• Any price
    • £3M Stated
    • £2M - £3M
    • £1M - £2M
    • No more that £1M
    • Dont buy him

David had a great start to his Rangers career but I have been less impressed with him lately and feel that at a price tag of £3M that over values him.

I see him as no more than a mid-field pool player and he certainly is not the answer to our creative needs, however I do think he has a value - and if we got him for between £1M and £2M then that would be a good addition but (IMHO) well overvalued at £3M.

David had a great start to his Rangers career but I have been less impressed with him lately and feel that at a price tag of £3M that over values him.

I see him as no more than a mid-field pool player and he certainly is not the answer to our creative needs, however I do think he has a value - and if we got him for between £1M and £2M then that would be a good addition but (IMHO) well overvalued at £3M.

You have got to be on the wind up mate!!?? He played poor lastnight for the first time in his short Rangers career.

If we get this guy for £3mil then i think its a great piece of business.

He is deffinetly not a pool player, that is just silly!

He's much less effective on the right flank and I think that's what his recent patchy contribution has resulted from.

He had a very poor game last night and looked short of confidence. Stick him back in the middle on Sunday and allow a more attacking player to play on the wing.

As for a future fee - his better form shows he'd be worth £2-3million for me. But no more than that.

Supposedly he was really struggling before the game to be fully fit, not sure how much of that was true but it showed in his performance last night.

I think the guy is pure class, one poor showing by him and the rest of the rangers team does qualify in the 'pool player' bracket...

So quick to get on players backs huh...

Supposedly he was really struggling before the game to be fully fit, not sure how much of that was true but it showed in his performance last night.

I think the guy is pure class, one poor showing by him and the rest of the rangers team does qualify in the 'pool player' bracket...

So quick to get on players backs huh...

I dont think I am on his back, so thats a cheap jibe on your part, - I think he is an OK player and can contribute well - just dont think he is worth £3M. I dont think he is (for example) better than Thomson, who cost us less - and I don't think he is the creative playmaker in the mid-field that I think we all want. He is good - is he worth £3M - Not in my opinion.

I have been keeping a close eye on this guy since he signed. I have heard that he supposedly dominated the games against England and Spain in the middle of the park for NI although I had never heard of him myself. Was he a genuine talent who got a bad break at Villa and then didn't settle at Fulham, or just not good enough to cut it consistently after one good season when breaking through?

So far he has had a couple of very good games (Gretna) a few decent games, and a few poorer games. IMO the poorer games have mainly come in Europe and in tough domestic games.

Obviously there is a desire to see a Rangers fan from NI do well and seal a permanent move but the thing for me has always been to ask "is he better than what we have got in centre midfield to command such a transfer fee and high wages?"

The short answer is becoming more clear by the week and it does not look good for his chances of joining us. Although he seems to have talent and boundless energy, his final pass has been mostly lacking in quality, and his positional sense when playing one man wider than he is used to is poor. IMO he is not better in centre midfield than Ferguson or Thomson, and therefore has to challenge Hemdani and Dailly for the third centre midfield role when we play 5 in midfield. The fact that both Dailly and Hemdani have both been recently preferred in that role by Walter confirms my thoery that although a good loan signing to get us through the mountain of games and would certainly be a good addition to the squad when injuries and suspensions kick in and to give guys a rest, but not at the money he is on at Fulham.

For me, he should be thanked for his efforts, give him his SPL medal (hopefully) and let him go to earn lots of cash in the most overhyped league in football.

I think he is an OK player and can contribute well - just dont think he is worth £3M. I dont think he is (for example) better than Thomson, who cost us less - and I don't think he is the creative playmaker in the mid-field that I think we all want. He is good - is he worth £3M - Not in my opinion.

Absolutely spot on, a nice wee player, but not at that price (and wages) and is not the answer to our problems in midfield.

he passes better than ferguson and gets forward a lot more, more pace etc. mr fergusons has had quite a few shockers for gers this season and i do believe that i would rather have davis in my team than ferguson going forward

His bad preformances come when he is on the right. He is not, and has never been a right winger - It's just Rangers continuing the trend of playing players out of position.

When in the middle, Davis has been better than any centre midfielder in a Rangers shirt this season. That is including 'Captain Fantastic'

Rangers should be going out of their way to sign this lad up.

If we do not buy him I will be very dissapointed as we will have missed out on a great talent.

Funny how folk justify Davis' poor recent form by saying he's playing out of position on the wing, yet chastised Peter Lovenkrands who was in exactly the same situation...

Funny how folk justify Davis' poor recent form by saying he's playing out of position on the wing, yet chastised Peter Lovenkrands who was in exactly the same situation...

Lovenkrands was one of my favourite players. I always thought he was better up front and made that clear to the people I knew. Bufffel - Lovenkrands was one of my favourite strike partnerships actually, in that short period in the McLeish era.

And I do quote from my post:-

It's just Rangers continuing the trend of playing players out of position.

£3m is a steal for a player of this quality. Maybe he shouldn't of played last night? He came off on Saturday and was struggling with a thigh injury. He didn't look fit but he still got about the park and made two cracking tackles which saved us.

It's hard to say. His passing at times is woeful but at other times he can be sharp and creative. I think we need to give him til the end of the season to be able to make a proper assessment.

I think the asking price is a fair one. When, as folks have stated, SD plays where he should, he has looked very impressive. Playing him (and others) out of their preferred positions has been a constant puzzling quirk of our gaffers for a wee while - I honestly don't understand it, TBH. Then again, I also don't understand why we have playmakers sitting on the bench in many games (or not even making the bench) when it's clear that some on the field just aren't cutting it.

I'd like to see us line up with a 4-4-2 one week with Thomson and Davis in the middle, I think that would give us a great balance of drive, bite, tackling and attacking. Plus Barry would also get a rest but I doubt we could afford to experiment at this time of the season.

I would go upto about 3.5million for Davis but no more as you could get better for money above that mark.

Honestly, Davis has been a big part of the reason we have managed to maintain a run of wins since the turn of the new year. He has been absolutely brillant in 90% of games he has played for us, adding a bit of skill, creativity and fight into the midfield. He hounds people in defence, and in attack rarely wastes a ball, often picking out holes. I think he is the perfect addition to our midfield and would gladly see smith pay upwards of around 4-5mill for him, because if he goes to a team in england, that is what he will be sold for. Personally, we are crying out for a wider player for either flank, as burke does not cut it

I'd like to see us line up with a 4-4-2 one week with Thomson and Davis in the middle, I think that would give us a great balance of drive, bite, tackling and attacking. Plus Barry would also get a rest but I doubt we could afford to experiment at this time of the season.

I would go upto about 3.5million for Davis but no more as you could get better for money above that mark.

Ahem, we did play 4-4-2 with Thomson and Davis in centre midfield against Partick Thistle at Ibrox and it was one of the worst performances of the season. Both players were outfought and outdriven by Thistle's midfield.