Kevin Thomson leaving?

gordov

There's alot of speculation going around today that West Brom are going to bid for KT as Rangers are trying to reduce the wage bill.

I know I and many other Gers would be infuriated at his sale......someone who before injury last season was looking like the ideal replacement for Barry....someone who signed a 5 year contract only last January.

Walter if this goes through you will certainly loose my faith......why sell someone who works and try for no less than 90 mins......instead get rid of the talentless Adam or Cousin.......or Hemdani who doesn't even want to be hear!!!

KT must stay

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to see him go!

He has the potential to be a fantastic Rangers player!

Hes the only one in our midfield that will chase the ball and put in a good tackle!

Guest therabbitt

Surely there would be others to leave before Walter even considered selling Thomson if it were all about releiving the pressure of wages?

Hemdani needs to leave first.

I don't rate KT that much. I think he's a good player, but not to take us forward. He's too defensive minded, can;t pass a ball forwaard, no creativity, no spark...I would much have Davis fill his boots over him any day

I'm sure Walter would love to sell Adam, Darch, Cousin etc before selling Thomson but I don't think there is a much of market for them.

Personally I wouldn't mind Thomson going. In my opinion he has been a mediocre player and I think with Davis back at Ibrox we could replace him with ease.

don't start me ranting about the press again. The situation at rangers is this:

Rangers are now a selling club, on the whole they purchase players that are likely to have a resale value, allowing them to invest the money back into the playing staff. Rangers also expect a premium, top dollar, for any player they sell. So really the answer is this, Kevin Thomson has not been ear marked to leave (blatantly obvious that Hemdani, Cousin and Gow have), however if WBA come in and offer them an amount of money that they feel is a market premium(by that no other club will give them more), they will sell. My guess would be that if rangers were offered £6 or 7 million they would consider.

Another thing to consider is that the express said rangers need to reduce the wages. Kevin thomson isnt one the the clubs highest earners. In fact he is nowhere near the top. If ranger were so desperate to lower the wage bill, McCulloch would have gone when stoke offered them the money.

west brom may or may not bid , but number one as yet they havent 2, if they do it means a bid not a deffo sale 3, Thomson wont go , well not to join a relegation fight 4 if he does let him

Hemdani needs to leave first.

I don't rate KT that much. I think he's a good player, but not to take us forward. He's too defensive minded, can;t pass a ball forwaard, no creativity, no spark...I would much have Davis fill his boots over him any day

I disagree mate, i think when partnered with a forward-thinking player Thomson can excell. Look at his performance on Saturday when played alongside someone of real class such as Mendes. They struck-up a great partnership and played great little one-twos between them. Thomson also ventured forward more aswell as retaining his ability to win the ball in midfield.

I believe he is invalauble to the current team. We now have quality players in midfield who are very technically gifted but alongside them you need that fight and muscle which is Thomson. It really helps that he can be very good in possession aswell as he will bring these players into the game. Last season there was too much pressure on the lad to get forward because nobody else in midfield would but now that we have attack-minded midfielders he can concentrate on his natural game as a defensive-midfielder.

BTW, i don't think he is going anywhere.

Something doesn't sit right with me about Thomson.

Don't get me wrong he's a decent enough player, one of the only players we have who will run a ball down.

Does anyone else think though he thinks he is 100% better than he actually is and that arrogance sometimes reflects in sloppiness of play?

Maybe it's just me.

here's a rumour im going to make up. I heard the Daily Express sales were down this week and they thought seen as tony mobray was at the game last night and kevin thomson once played for him that might be a plasable story. Even though they have no source or foundation. Its just talking shite to make money.

west brom may or may not bid , but number one as yet they havent 2, if they do it means a bid not a deffo sale 3, Thomson wont go , well not to join a relegation fight 4 if he does let him

Right, I think this rumour of Thomson going is nothing more than that.. a rumour... however I think it raises a number of interesting issues....

1. Our recent track record is evidence that any player at Rangers has his price... in fact our manager has stated this, so a bid may not defo be a sale but it would only be a matter of how much they need to go to. Again with our track record anything over 5 million for Thomson would probably do it

2. There seems to be a misguided belief amongst our support that even if our big bad chairman accepts a bid, the player in question will reject the deal because they; love the club, the fan adulation, the stadium, the training facilities or the success of winning things (delete as appropriate) I think this is fanciful at best and utterly naive at worst. Hutton clearly didn't want to go and yet he was forced out the door and left with no choice but to go. Cueller, (our beloved King Carlos) loved the club and never wanted to leave right up until we got knocked out of Europe and you couldn't see him for dust.... I think the only player that would outright refuse to leave to an EPL club would be Barry and thats because he has done it before and he would never get the same level of influence over any other club as he has at Rangers. (Maybe Nacho as well, but I never know anymore).... Everyone else would either willingly go or be forced out

3. West Brom, for all their woes are still dining at the big table of domestic club football, as with Fulham, they are a bigger draw to footballers without affiliations because they can comfortably afford 40k a week and offer players the chance to pit their skills against the best in the business and advertise their abilities on a global stage

4. Talk of wage cuts and thinning the squad are all well and good but if it was such a priority then why have we just brought in Mendes, Edu, Aaron, and Davis. You can be sure Davis and Mendes are among the clubs top earners now.... Walter has made it clear that he will offload some fringe players... Thomson is not a fringe player, Gow, Hemdani, Webster, Dailly are and Adam, McCulloch, Novo, Smith, and hopefully Broadfoot are in danger of becoming so

Right, I think this rumour of Thomson going is nothing more than that.. a rumour... however I think it raises a number of interesting issues....

1. Our recent track record is evidence that any player at Rangers has his price... in fact our manager has stated this, so a bid may not defo be a sale but it would only be a matter of how much they need to go to. Again with our track record anything over 5 million for Thomson would probably do it

2. There seems to be a misguided belief amongst our support that even if our big bad chairman accepts a bid, the player in question will reject the deal because they; love the club, the fan adulation, the stadium, the training facilities or the success of winning things (delete as appropriate) I think this is fanciful at best and utterly naive at worst. Hutton clearly didn't want to go and yet he was forced out the door and left with no choice but to go. Cueller, (our beloved King Carlos) loved the club and never wanted to leave right up until we got knocked out of Europe and you couldn't see him for dust.... I think the only player that would outright refuse to leave to an EPL club would be Barry and thats because he has done it before and he would never get the same level of influence over any other club as he has at Rangers. (Maybe Nacho as well, but I never know anymore).... Everyone else would either willingly go or be forced out

3. West Brom, for all their woes are still dining at the big table of domestic club football, as with Fulham, they are a bigger draw to footballers without affiliations because they can comfortably afford 40k a week and offer players the chance to pit their skills against the best in the business and advertise their abilities on a global stage

4. Talk of wage cuts and thinning the squad are all well and good but if it was such a priority then why have we just brought in Mendes, Edu, Aaron, and Davis. You can be sure Davis and Mendes are among the clubs top earners now.... Walter has made it clear that he will offload some fringe players... Thomson is not a fringe player, Gow, Hemdani, Webster, Dailly are and Adam, McCulloch, Novo, Smith, and hopefully Broadfoot are in danger of becoming so

(tu)

This thread is a bit OTT, talk about hysterics!

When Cuellar was linked with a £6 million move away i was frustrated, when Hutton was linked with a £5 million move away i was frustrated, when Mcgregor was linked with a £5 million move away i was frustrated but cmon, £4 million for Thomson? Surely thats not a bad deal especially when we have a ready made replacement in Edu coming in soon?

I dont think he'll go but to be honest, i wouldnt be too bothered if it meant the Bresciano deal was to be rubber stamped. Thomson's evolved into a decent combative midfielder, nothing more.

This thread is a bit OTT, talk about hysterics!

When Cuellar was linked with a £6 million move away i was frustrated, when Hutton was linked with a £5 million move away i was frustrated, when Mcgregor was linked with a £5 million move away i was frustrated but cmon, £4 million for Thomson? Surely thats not a bad deal especially when we have a ready made replacement in Edu coming in soon?

I dont think he'll go but to be honest, i wouldnt be too bothered if it meant the Bresciano deal was to be rubber stamped. Thomson's evolved into a decent combative midfielder, nothing more.

I think a 4m or 5m deal would be good. He is ok, but a tad slow and keeps gobbling up yellow cards for no good reasons.

I was actually tempted to make a thread about Thomsons future the other day.

We have spent a decent amount of money and we will need to recoup some of that.

Guys like Adam, McCulloch and Whittaker need to go out the door. However they don't have the financial value that would allow us to recoup , wheras Thomson does.

We have signed Edu & Davis, both guys who can play in Thomson's position and with WBA being linked earlier in the Summer, Mowbray being at Hampden last night and the potential to make 2 million on a player who has always been decent, but never outstanding I think this one might have legs.