Tonel - all talk in here

Ibroxblue

Rangers are weighing up a mid-season move for Portugal international defender Tonel to beef up their central defensive options for the Title run-in.

The 28 year old is already on the radar of Serie A stars Lazio and Greek giants Panathinaikos but Ibrox boss Walter Smith is also monitoring the centre back with a view to a £3m swoop in the winter transfer window.

The classy six foot plus defender has already crossed Rangers path twice having faced them in the UEFA Cup back in 2004 when he played for CS Maritimo in Madeira and then impressed again when Gers knocked his current club Sporting Lisbon out of the UEFA Cup quarter finals in April.

Tonel – full name Antonio Leonel Vilar Nogueira Sousa Tonel – is said to be tempted to forsake both Italian and Greek football for a move to the Premier League having been impressed by the Rangers supporters and the chance to team up with countryman Pedro Mendes.

Smith added £2.5m Madjid Bougherra to his defensive line-up during the summer and he's been a virtual ever present alongside veteran Davie Weir this season but the area is one the manager is keen to bolster further if a deal can be struck.

During his time at Sporting Lisbon Tonel has made over 80 appearances scoring nine times and helping his club win the Portugues Cup and finish second to Porto in the Title.

His performances also earned him an international debut against Kazakhstan in a Euro 2008 qualifier and he was again included in new boss Carlos Queiroz's squad for the World Cup double header against Sweden at the weekend and last night's game against Albania.

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/66301

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good player actually... Him and his central defensive partner looked decent against us.

Not sure how we'd finance such a move though. At last count, in my opinion, we need to move on around 5 players to accommodate any new ones.

Don't be surprised to say ta ta to Hemdani,Thommo and Boyd.

Personally i'd get shot of McCulloch,Adam,Dailly,Hemdani and Burke for a combined £3m and then buy this guy.

The trouble is we would all get shot of the ones you mentioned...but somebody has to want them....and therein lies the problem.

It has started already!!!

I genuinely thought we would get into late November before the papers started their garbage about who we are signing.

Bears please remember one thing.

We are signing NOBODY in January, only selling. The disclaimer I would put on that is that we may bring in a loan player or two if we sell too many players in similar positions.

I am now starting a list of players linked, by what paper, and value and I am going to put it up on 1 February to name and shame the papers/journos and expose their lies for what they are.

Better players out there. Just so happens Walter seen him as we played Sporting in the UEFA cup.

Heres an idea, when we dont have any European games, go and watch some and try and find players better than we currently have.

Our scouting network is as follows:

Good value players from the Premiership or Championship.

SPL mediocrity.

Anyone that Willie McKay suggests.

Anyone that we happen to stumble across in European competition.

It's actually embarrassing.

Better players out there. Just so happens Walter seen him as we played Sporting in the UEFA cup.

Heres an idea, when we dont have any European games, go and watch some and try and find players better than we currently have.

SPL mediocrity.

so you are ashamed of Cuellar? Thomson? Boyd? Bougherra? Alexander? Naysmith? to name a few that have came about throught the sources you suggest

SPL mediocrity.

so you are ashamed of Cuellar? Thomson? Boyd? Bougherra? Alexander? Naysmith? to name a few that have came about throught the sources you suggest

I think his point was look at Arsenal and their scouting system and the brilliant young players they get while we search on tv

SPL mediocrity.

Plus there's anyone who played for Scotland or Everton under Smith.

During his time at Sporting Lisbon Tonel has made over 80 appearances scoring nine times and helping his club win the Portugues Cup and finish second to Porto in the Title.

Accepting 2nd best

We want winners!!

By your reasoning we should never have singed Cuellar then?

Just because they played in a team that didnt finish first does not mean to say they are not worthy of joining us, you could be a shite player and still win the league (see celtic from last season)

I like Tonel and he's looked every bit as good as Anderson Polga the times I have seen Sporting CP play. A very consistant performer who's a good organiser, good in the air and with the ball. He'd bring solidness and a bit of class.

A Bougherra-Tonel partnership would be a partnership that would excite me. All we'd need is a good RB and we'd have a very solid back line!

Don't see it happening tho, £3m.

I seen him against Barcelona at the Camp Nou last month and he done very well indeed. He shackled Henry and Eto'o well enough and he managed to get himself a goal.

He's surprisingly strong and good in the air. His turn off pace is quite poor but i dont envisage that being much of a problem in the SPL.

I really doubt anything will come of this, though. By the time we get rid of the deadwood it will be late January and Tonel will have been snapped up by another club.

now i am not so certain that will will go for Tonel, but a new CB will be on their way at some point...i mean, lets face it, whether its jan or july, we WILL be getting a new CB..as it stands, weir and dailly are both out of contract and cannot see them being renewed, so we need someone who can step in a CB straight away..then we will have webster as back up, with broadfoot and whitty fighting from RB and papac and smith fighting for LB...