Tonel - all talk in here

Ibroxblue

Tonel is a very good player and was linked with a move to Fiorentina to replace Uflaljuefwejfhjkhjkh (sp) i think he would do well in the SPL...

And he is undoubtedly a defender!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonel is a very good player and was linked with a move to Fiorentina to replace Uflaljuefwejfhjkhjkh (sp) i think he would do well in the SPL...

And he is undoubtedly a defender!

Most mediocre players do well in thw SPL do they not

"If Smith cannot get enough cash together to go for Tonel he is likely to hold on to McCulloch even though Premiership outfit Stoke remain serious about taking the 30-year-old south in January."

:anguish:

Why is Smith so against cutting his losses with this dud?

erm? Perhaps because he actually DID perform well at CB, therefore, cover

just a thought

My view as well, one question though, is he a defender or midfielder, paper saying defender, BBC gossip column is saying he is a midfielder?

Again though I think the paper is blowing some things out of proportion or adding 2+2 and making 5 seeing that Walter had already been told he has to get rid of a few players anyway.

haha, i think thats the problem, based on evidence and performances, he is a defender.

Kind of reminds me of that guy at school, who always wanted to play up front for the glory, but, was pish at it! Isnt Lees fault he has been played out of position his entire career :P

Wattie always signs guys like this, nobody has a fcukin clue where they play, then those famous words come out 'he can be pushed forward in the midfield.' Players who can play in Wattie's grey area ! :sherlock:

Thats why Smith adapted so well to the Scotland job

Yes I think you are right there. He made the best of what was available, got them to do a job for him even out of position. Works at national level but not at Club where you can't get away with playing players out of position week to week, they get found out in jig time ! :sherlock:

I rate Tonel, I think he's better than Anderson Polga and Bougherra but I still reckon he'll be on his way to Real Betis.

Get McCulloch and Adam in that list and get them away to fcuk!

Smith is a huge admirer of the 28-year-old centre-half who first caught his eye last season playing against Rangers for Sporting Lisbon on the Ibrox side's march to the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester.

Sounds familiar :rolleyes: ... will we get lucky again?

Dailly, Mcculloch, Adam, Hemdani, Gow and Webster, theres our 6?

So a squad which is already lacking in width is set to lose its last remaining wide players in order to accomdate yet another CD/CM?

He has lost it, he really has....

Well you must remember a lot of it is just paper talk, we don't actually know if Beasley or Burke are on their way out of the door, I would expect JCD, Hemdani, Dailly, Smith (reserve goalie), possibly McCulloch if we were to get Tonel and Webster to be likely candidates, Gow is also still officially on our books so he is another who I can see being allowed to leave.

All this talk about us signing Webster, I don't think we actually had a choice in the end, just my theory, but now he could be sold. I'm also a bit wary of us managing to hold onto Bougherra, especially if Marseilles, who I think was linked with him, are still in Europe after Xmas, there is also the fear that Redknapp has been rumoured to be making an offer for Mendes, one which will be too much for us to refuse, even though I would hope that for the sake of any chance of winning the league Walter is totally resistant to letting him go, but SDM might not give him the option.

Regarding Bougherra though, if we did lose him then McCulloch would remain!

Smith is a huge admirer of the 28-year-old centre-half who first caught his eye last season playing against Rangers for Sporting Lisbon on the Ibrox side's march to the UEFA Cup Final in Manchester.

Sounds familiar :rolleyes: ... will we get lucky again?

Dailly, Mcculloch, Adam, Hemdani, Gow and Webster, theres our 6?

We will get lucky again but only if we push him into the midfield like the rest of them, 2 crocks, 2 diddy's, 1 missing, possibly in the french foreign legion and 1 who is probably in the central club Blackpool pissed as a fart with the most potential of all ? :sherlock: !

Rather take Berra from Hertz. Someone on another forum asked his Portuguese mate about Tonel and was told he was worth 3 quid, not 3 million.

Tonal went for around a quarter of a million in his last transfer when he was 25 years old. Can't see how he'd be any better or worth 6 times more in the intervening couple of years.

Tonel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Tonel

Personal information

Full name António Leonel Vilar Nogueira Sousa

Date of birth April 13, 1980 (1980-04-13) (age 28)

Place of birth Lourosa, Portugal

Height 1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)

Playing position Central defender

Club information

Current club Sporting CP

Number 13

Youth clubs

1999-2001

Porto B

Senior clubs1

Years Club App (Gls)*

2001-2004

2004-2005

2005-Present

Académica Coimbra (loan)

Marítimo

Sporting CP

63 (5)

28 (1)

82 (9)

National team2

2006- Portugal 1 (0)

1 Senior club appearances and goals

counted for the domestic league only and

correct as of August 31, 2008.

2 National team caps and goals correct

as of August 31, 2008.

* Appearances (Goals)

António Leonel Vilar Nogueira Sousa, aka Tonel (born April 13, 1980 in Lourosa) (pron. IPA: [tu'nɛɫ]), is a Portuguese football player, who plays as a central defender for Portuguese giants Sporting Clube de Portugal.

Contents [hide]

1 Club career

2 International career

3 References

4 External links

[edit] Club career

Coming through the youth teams of FC Porto, Tonel made his professional debut when he was loaned out to Académica de Coimbra during the 2000-01 season. Despite earning a good reputation for himself during the three-season loan spell, he was deemed surplus to requirements by his parent club and was released. He moved to C.S. Marítimo during the summer of 2004, as part of an exchange deal between Marítimo and Porto which saw Pepe arrive at the Estádio do Dragão.

Tonel enjoyed a hugely successful season for the Madeira team, picking up some European experience during the club's UEFA Cup contest against Glasgow Rangers. He formed a fomidable partnership with Dutch Mitchell van der Gaag in defence and became one of the team's leading figures, playing 28 league games and scoring once, on September 25, 2004, in a 2-1 home win over Boavista F.C..

After an impressive season, Tonel signed a three-year deal with Sporting Clube de Portugal for €500,000, on July 2005.[1]The bad luck that accompanied him while at Porto did not rear its head the second time, as Tonel was an everpresent figure at Sporting's back four since his arrival, alongside Brazilian international Anderson Polga, scoring the occasional goal on set pieces.

[edit] International career

In a November 15, 2006, Euro 2008 qualifier against Kazakhstan in Coimbra, Tonel debuted with Portugal, playing 77 minutes in a 3-0 win.

Haha, I think someone's been fucking with this Wiki entry! And a Tim too, judging by the sentence construction.

Rather take Berra from Hertz. Someone on another forum asked his Portuguese mate about Tonel and was told he was worth 3 quid, not 3 million.

Tonal went for around a quarter of a million in his last transfer when he was 25 years old. Can't see how he'd be any better or worth 6 times more in the intervening couple of years.

Just because he's Portugese it doesn't gaurantee that he knows a great deal about him.

I'm British but I couldn't tell you everything about every British footballer could I?

I love this "my Portuguese mate says that...." response almost as much as when you are linked with a player from a country i.e Spain and you already have one on your books and people say "oh player X could have a word with him"

As for Tonel, I know he's decent with the ball at his feet, but his real strength comes from the fact that he's a lot more rugged and almost British-like in the way that he defends.

I imagine the section of Portugese fans who don't rate him don't rate him on the basis that he simply isn't enough of a footballer for them.

Edu can play cb, play him there and see what happens?

Not this again :anguish:

Edu was a makeshift CB during the Olympics and didn't really look comfortable...you wouldn't put Kevin Thomson at CB so why would you put Edu back there? He's a center mid

Edu was a makeshift CB during the Olympics and didn't really look comfortable...you wouldn't put Kevin Thomson at CB so why would you put Edu back there? He's a center mid

He was bought by us to make up the numbers for the pool of cheap options

go on 90 odd posts and not 1 positive post amongst them give us some positivity before 100

you know you want to

go on 90 odd posts and not 1 positive post amongst them give us some positivity before 100

you know you want to

My posts are positive, maybe you just dont like the truth

I will send you an xmas card for reading my 90 posts, some man :mutley:

Exactly.

you know you want to

all part of the service sent donation to cash for kids instead of wasting money on cards thats what i do every year

you know you want to

all part of the service sent donation to cash for kids instead of wasting money on cards thats what i do every year

Cash for my kids mate that where my cash goes not to others