Murray has a go at Reid

OlegKuznetsov

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's them told then!

I give the utmost respect to Celtic football club - they've got a great tradition

Pass me the sick bag.

I just hope there is more to come - if not, yet another failed attempt by Murray.

Nowhere near strong enough for me. Murray had the chance to have a go at Reid and sellik and show them up for the biggoted anti-British/Scottish terrorist lovers they are. Sadly and predictably Sir Dave took the softly softly approach.

A big feckin letdown.

Reid responds to Murray warning

John Reid says he will continue to comment "without fear"

Celtic chairman John Reid has responded to Rangers counterpart Sir David Murray's warning that he should be more careful with his public comments.

Murray, in an exclusive BBC interview to mark his 20th season in charge at Ibrox, expressed concern at "some of the innuendo that's come from John".

Reid, who has condemned a section of the Rangers support for singing the Famine Song, said he would not change.

"I will continue to comment, when appropriate, without fear or favour."

The Famine Song refers to events that killed an estimated one million people in the 1840s and led to a mass migration from Ireland.

And the Rangers chairman, who bought the club for £6m in 1988, urged his Celtic counterpart to be more careful with his comments.

He said the former cabinet minister should be careful with public comments, given his role as an MP.

"I find it strange that a man could become a member of parliament representing a whole broad church of people from Airdrie and Shotts, but then can also be the chairman of a football club and come out with a different slant," said Murray.

"I suppose he can say that because he knows he doesn't have to be re-elected to be Airdrie & Shotts again. I'm concerned by some of the comments.

"I give the utmost respect to Celtic football club - they've got a great tradition but I am recently a wee bit concerned by some of the inferences and innuendo that's come from John and I think he's got to be careful and realise he's not barracking in the house of commons any longer.

"We are in a society in Scotland where every point and every word is picked up by everybody and he should be very careful with some of the chat."

Responding on Thursday afternoon, the Celtic chairman said: "We all want to be a little indulgent to David on his 20th anniversary, but I'm not entirely sure of the points he is trying to make regarding inference and innuendo.

"In any case, no one should be under any illusion that in defending the welfare of Celtic and our supporters I will continue to comment when appropriate, without fear or favour.

"I know we all welcome David's respect for Celtic's traditions and we congratulate him on 20 years at Rangers Football Club".

Murray said he had always been honest during his tenure at the club and never shirked a challenge since taking over at Ibrox.

"I've endeavoured to be as honest and as decent as possible," he said. MY SPORT: DEBATE

What do you think of Sir David Murray's comments?

"Hopefully, we can continue to win more trophies together. I think I'm the longest-serving chairman in the history of Rangers Football Club.

"I've done a fair innings with reasonable success. When it's time to walk, I'll walk. And I'll look back on it as an unbelievable experience and a privilege to be the chairman and major shareholder at Rangers."

Murray's portfolio of metals, mining, property and venture capital businesses have made him Scotland's fifth richest man, worth £650m.

His investment at Rangers helped secure a famous nine-in-a-row championship wins between 1989-1997.

And the club's £12m training facility, Murray Park, is named after him.

Murray stepped down as chairman at Ibrox in July 2002 but returned to the post in the summer of 2004.

The full interview will be broadcast on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme, at 1810 GMT on Thursday.

A quick response from Reid which sticks up for his club and makes our chairman look stupid - that's what a real chairman is about.

I await Murray's response - in 4 weeks time.

A quick response from Reid which sticks up for his club and makes our chairman look stupid - that's what a real chairman is about.

I disagree.

Reid looks every bit the slippery, sleazy politician, trying to sneak his way out of answering the question.

SDM made it clear what he referred to without being explicit or rude.

John Reid knows.

The press knows too.

Basically, Murray has said Reid stepped over the line, without doing so himself in response.

If Reid plays silly buggers, the press will know it and have a go at him, either soon or when they smell blood.

Reid's unwise remarks will return to haunt him

This may be a good time for Airdrie and Shotts Bears to write to Reid about his false accusations of racism, hypocrisy since Celtic fans, including himself sing racist anti-British songs and that this irresponsible behaviour causes greater friction between the communities.

Parliamentary Advice Office

115 Graham Street

Airdrie.

ML6 6DE.

Tel: 01236 748777

Fax: 01236 748666

e-mail: reidj@parliament.uk

I disagree.

Reid looks every bit the slippery, sleazy politician, trying to sneak his way out of answering the question.

John Reid knows.

The press knows too.

Yep I agree, the media will report as "big John Reid tough man" again.

I disagree.

John Reid knows.

The press knows too.

Basically, Murray has said Reid stepped over the line, without doing so himself in response.

If Reid plays silly buggers, the press will know it and have a go at him, either soon or when they smell blood.

Reid's unwise remarks will return to haunt him

This may be a good time for Airdrie and Shotts Bears to write to Reid about his false accusations of racism, hypocrisy since Celtic fans, including himself sing racist anti-British songs and that this irresponsible behaviour causes greater friction between the communities.

Parliamentary Advice Office

115 Graham Street

Airdrie.

ML6 6DE.

Tel: 01236 748777

Fax: 01236 748666

e-mail: reidj@parliament.uk

Not sure if their is an applause smiley so i will just make one up.

:rapturousapplauseforthispostsmilie:

There is: :clap:

The fact that Reid only had to offer a one sentence retort to fend off Murray's "attack" says it all really.

SDM's original statement was bland, unclear and extremely soft. He repeated himself and made no particular allegation which Reid would have to defend against. He could have pulled him up over the Famine Song pish, the IRA singing from the Celtic support or the disgraceful way the club marked Rememberence Day but instead he speaks alot without actually saying anything.

Poor effort Murray. :(

The fact that Reid only had to offer a one sentence retort to fend off Murray's "attack" says it all really.

SDM's original statement was bland, unclear and extremely soft. He repeated himself and made no particular allegation which Reid would have to defend against. He could have pulled him up over the Famine Song pish, the IRA singing from the Celtic support or the disgraceful way the club marked Rememberence Day but instead he speaks alot without actually saying anything.

Is it not better to refer to his false allegations of racism against us, rather than repeat them for him?

To repeat them plays into his hands.

Reid want s to repeat the allegation, but can't, because he would look like a clown after Murray's words. Instead he'll be hoping to draw them out of Murray with that, "I haven't a clue to what he refers" response.

However, it just makes Reid look like the pr*ck he is.

(tu)

Reid responds to Murray warning

John Reid says he will continue to comment "without fear"

Celtic chairman John Reid has responded to Rangers counterpart Sir David Murray's warning that he should be more careful with his public comments.

Murray, in an exclusive BBC interview to mark his 20th season in charge at Ibrox, expressed concern at "some of the innuendo that's come from John".

Reid, who has condemned a section of the Rangers support for singing the Famine Song, said he would not change.

"I will continue to comment, when appropriate, without fear or favour."

The Famine Song refers to events that killed an estimated one million people in the 1840s and led to a mass migration from Ireland.

And the Rangers chairman, who bought the club for £6m in 1988, urged his Celtic counterpart to be more careful with his comments, given his role as an MP.

"I find it strange that a man could become a member of Parliament representing a whole broad church of people from Airdrie and Shotts, but then can also be the chairman of a football club and come out with a different slant," said Murray.

"I suppose he can say that because he knows he doesn't have to be re-elected to Airdrie & Shotts again. I'm concerned by some of the comments.

"I give the utmost respect to Celtic football club - they've got a great tradition but I am recently a wee bit concerned by some of the inferences and innuendo that's come from John and I think he's got to be careful and realise he's not barracking in the House of Commons any longer.

"We are in a society in Scotland where every point and every word is picked up by everybody and he should be very careful with some of the chat."

Responding on Thursday afternoon, the Celtic chairman said: "We all want to be a little indulgent to David on his 20th anniversary, but I'm not entirely sure of the points he is trying to make regarding inference and innuendo.

"In any case, no one should be under any illusion that in defending the welfare of Celtic and our supporters I will continue to comment when appropriate, without fear or favour.

"I know we all welcome David's respect for Celtic's traditions and we congratulate him on 20 years at Rangers Football Club".

Murray said he had always been honest during his tenure at the club and never shirked a challenge since taking over at Ibrox.

"I've endeavoured to be as honest and as decent as possible," he said. MY SPORT: DEBATE

What do you think of Sir David Murray's comments?

"Hopefully, we can continue to win more trophies together. I think I'm the longest-serving chairman in the history of Rangers Football Club.

"I've done a fair innings with reasonable success. When it's time to walk, I'll walk. And I'll look back on it as an unbelievable experience and a privilege to be the chairman and major shareholder at Rangers."

Murray's portfolio of metals, mining, property and venture capital businesses have made him Scotland's fifth-richest man, worth £650m.

His investment at Rangers helped secure a famous nine-in-a-row championship wins between 1989-1997.

And the club's £12m training facility, Murray Park, is named after him.

Murray stepped down as chairman at Ibrox in July 2002 but returned to the post in the summer of 2004.