No Cash in January

Poetry_In_Blue

This really doesn't come as a surprise to me as we don't have European football, but SDM has re-iterated that there won't be any new players brought in in January unless there is an emergency. The wee bit I like is the last paragraph though even though I think this is purely newspaper speculation about one of them.

SIR David Murray today told Rangers fans he will not splash any cash on new players in January - unless there is an emergency.

Many Gers supporters would like to see the Ibrox club bring in some new faces during the transfer window to boost their bid to wrest the SPL title from Old Firm rivals Celtic.

However, chairman Murray, who celebrates 20 years in charge this weekend, has stressed players will have to leave before manager Walter Smith can add to his squad.

And the Edinburgh multi-millionaire businessman revealed Smith would only be given funds if there was an injury crisis.

Asked if he would spend any money on new players in the transfer window, Murray replied: "No, I don't think we will - unless it is an emergency."

He added: "We have got a big enough squad. We built a squad to play in Europe and we don't have Europe. Any fair-minded person will realise we need to see some players go out the door.

"But if there is an emergency I am sure we will be able to accommodate another player if required by the manager."

Smith, who spent £17.5million on the likes of Pedro Mendes, Steven Davis and Maurice Edu in the summer, currently has 28 players in his first-team squad.

Smith sold SFWA Player of the Year Carlos Cuellar and striker Daniel Cousin to Aston Villa and Hull City respectively for around £9m before the last window closed at the end of August.

But the Glasgow club's disappointing exit from the Champions League to FBK Kaunas in the second qualifying round means he will not be able to add to that number midway through this campaign unless there is a major clear-out.

The likes of Brahim Hemdani, Jean-Claude Darcheville, Lee McCulloch, Christian Dailly, Charlie Adam and Chris Burke are not playing regularly and have all been tipped to leave.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...2469708.0.0.php

I would take that with a pinch of salt. If we let some go as we really have to and someone interesting becomes available I'm sure we would have a look.

In any case we have enough about us to win this league, we just need to prove it to ourselves on the pitch.

Walter Smith wasted our money once again - if he had bought the right players then we wouldn't need players in January - unfortunatley we need a couple and we don't have any money.

celtc will strengthen in January and that's one of the reasons why I see them winning the league.

Walter Smith wasted our money once again - if he had bought the right players then we wouldn't need players in January - unfortunatley we need a couple and we don't have any money.

celtc will strengthen in January and that's one of the reasons why I see them winning the league.

Davis, Mendes, Magic, Miller a waste of money? Jury is still out on Lafferty as I think he should get a run up front, but won't as Miller and Boyd are starting to gel, Edu again is an unknown quantity but if we want strength in depth then we have to pay for them.

Davis, Mendes, Magic, Miller a waste of money? Jury is still out on Lafferty as I think he should get a run up front, but won't as Miller and Boyd are starting to gel, Edu again is an unknown quantity but if we want strength in depth then we have to pay for them.

Yes wasted our money!

Lafferty, Velicka and Edu - £7.2m. We don't have a good RB, we lack in the centre of defense, no cover at LB, we don't have a right or left sided midfielder/winger - that money wasted in the summer could have bought at least 2 quality 1st team players.

Why did we buy so many strikers and central midfielders?

We have better players than the disease ridden hooped filth anyway, so it shouldn't matter. Some better form on the pitch is whats needed, "more character & determination", a great man once said.

Yes wasted our money!

Lafferty, Velicka and Edu - £7.2m. We don't have a good RB, we lack in the centre of defense, no cover at LB, we don't have a right or left sided midfielder/winger - that money wasted in the summer could have bought at least 2 quality 1st team players.

Arguments flying around towards the end of last season was not enough decent cover in these areas!

he wasted 7m, why buy edu when we already had plenty of players that could play that position? why waste 3.5m on lafferty when we we didnt need another striker? that money could have been spent on a quality left sided midfielder instead of lafferty who is a striker but is being played on the left wing. and velicka was 1m but is being played in the reserves. we where promised 1st team starters and instead we have spent 7m on fringe players.

Yes wasted our money!

IMO we need a squad to win the title not just a first XI and a few subs. Strength in depth - look at last season.

Yes, 7m is a gamble but hopefully one that will pay off.

We are at a crucial stage and if we fail to win the league this season and 'they' get in amongst the CL without us again, we're screwed. Something had to be done. If Murray had spend FA then we'd all be asking him where the cash is. Just sit tight and see what happens

Edu and Lafferty are both young, in Walter terms anyway, and will get their chance. **fingers crossed**

Yes wasted our money!

IMO we need a squad to win the title not just a first XI and a few subs. Strength in depth - look at last season.

Yes, 7m is a gamble but hopefully one that will pay off.

We are at a crucial stage and if we fail to win the league this season and 'they' get in amongst the CL without us again, we're screwed. Something had to be done. If Murray had spend FA then we'd all be asking him where the cash is. Just sit tight and see what happens

Edu and Lafferty are both young, in Walter terms anyway, and will get their chance. **fingers crossed**

And now we have a totally unbalanced squad. No defensive back-up, no wingers, too many mediocre strikers and far too many central midfielders.

We continue to play players out of position and hope that £6.2m worth of players(Lafferty and Edu) will one day be given a chance and hopefully pay off. Sorry but we can't afford to do that. Ther money should have gone on 1st team players, like we did with Davis and Mendes. Two quality proven 1st team players who would make the 1st team better with the attributes they brought to the side.

shall we throw a league party for them now then ?

Amazing the confidence of some people, really don't remember everybody being this positive after the first Old Firm match it was such a depressing time when we humped them 4-2 at the piggery and could have won by more.

We could hump them 10-0 everytime but it wouldn't matter as we'd just go to places like Pittodrie, Fir Park, Love Street and even against the likes of Dundee United and drop points.

Until we go on a winning run, beating teams like Aberdeen, Dundee United, Motherwell....away from home then I'll continue to to lack confidence in my team.

I blame Smith for wasting money on McCulloch, Whittaker maybe, Edu, Lafferty, Velicka, Naismith has been injured but before that played out wide, etc.

That is appx. 14m on players that would not be or are not in the first eleven and some played out of position when they get a chance.

McCulloch - started last year and a favourite of Walter's but not good enough and being tried in numerous positions.

Whittaker - potential, but not a regular starter.

Edu - not a starter but again potential.

Lafferty - same as Edu, not a starter and played out of position.

Velicka - not a starter

Naismith - similar to Lafferty and both compete against each other.

Plus wages for them and Hemdani, JCD, Adam, Beasley, Webster, Daily, etc.

We surely could have used all this money for three quality surefire starters.

Yes wasted our money!

Yes, but then again, the back up players we have are of a decent calibre, i don't think they were meant for back up, its just the way things turned out.

Boyd found form again, and the Miller and Boyd partnership floundered, leaving us with Velicka and Lafferty left over.

Edu, again unlucky, Barry returned.

Thats how it works sometimes.