Players on the flank

Jimenez

I've been thinking back to our 9IAR days and how we were always fairly effective down the flanks.

Guys like Robertson, Stevens, Laudrup, Huistra were all great on the flanks.

Has Smith forgot completely the advantage of having players completely at home down the left or right hand side ?

The reason I ask is we seem to be pretty solid through the middle, bar Weir who is getting on a bit but reliable.

Why hasn't Smith adressed this problem, no offense to guys like Papac and Broadfoot but having them as anything more than stop gap replacements is beyond the pale IMO.

lemme see - left hand side - Beasley, Naismith, Aaron, Fleck, Adam (in that order for me)

right - Burke, Naismith, Davis, Novo (again, in that order for me)

IMO we have players who are more than capable of playing effectively for us out wide but IMO Walter is so mesmerized into making us difficult to beat that he has forgotten that you can control games and keep other teams on the back foot by flat out going at them.

I've been thinking back to our 9IAR days and how we were always fairly effective down the flanks.

Has Smith forgot completely the advantage of having players completely at home down the left or right hand side ?

I doubt he has forgotten. But where once we could afford a Laudrup we now have Beasley.

Reality.

I doubt he has forgotten. But where once we could afford a Laudrup we now have Beasley.

Reality.

Beasley is plenty good enough for the SPL, if played in conjunction with a similar type player on the right. When we play him and Davis, then defenses can key on Beasley and make him ineffective. But if we had even a Burke on the right at the same time as beasley on the left, then defenses would be spread and thus leave both wingers one on one way more often. This would also result in more space through the center for Fergie/mendes/Thomson/Davis to exploit.

I just feel right now that by being cagey we are our won worst enemies

Beasley is plenty good enough for the SPL,

I wish he would show it. In any case, I was referring to the comparison between great players of bygone days and the current crop.

But, that's one aspect of the game for all supporters, self included.

I used to love Laudrup, but good as he was he was no Willie Henderson. And I'm still of the opinion that we haven't had a Rangers class right back since Sandy Jardine.

I'd love to see us have a maruding full back who gets forward at every opportunity :(

Unfortunately we sold him.

Signing a similar style of player who will look to get forward at every opportunity should have been our number one priority after we sold Hutton.

He offered so much to the team and to take that away and to not even have seriously tried to replace it is a disgrace.

I wish he would show it. In any case, I was referring to the comparison between great players of bygone days and the current crop.

I used to love Laudrup, but good as he was he was no Willie Henderson. And I'm still of the opinion that we haven't had a Rangers class right back since Sandy Jardine.

Don't let the Hutton lovers read that mate. Get your tin/Kevlar/iron/diamond plated hat on :craphead:

Beasley isn't good enough. Far too lightweight. Isn't up to the physicality of Scottish football. Would give Arron a run in the teamon the left. The full backs definitely need improvement. As much as I like Papac and Broadfoot they aren't Rangers class. Whittaker is just hopeless

Don't let the Hutton lovers read that mate. Get your tin/Kevlar/iron/diamond plated hat on :craphead:

I rated Hutton as decent enough - but to suggest he was anywhere near the class of Sandy Jardine is laughable.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if some did. After all I've seen some listings of Rangers greatest teams that had Gough picked ahead of Tam Forsyth.

And don't get me started on those who think Jim Baxter wasn't the greatest player to play for The Rangers. Ever.

:rangers:

Reality.

Beasley is plenty good enough for the SPL, if played in conjunction with a similar type player on the right. When we play him and Davis, then defenses can key on Beasley and make him ineffective. But if we had even a Burke on the right at the same time as beasley on the left, then defenses would be spread and thus leave both wingers one on one way more often. This would also result in more space through the center for Fergie/mendes/Thomson/Davis to exploit.

I just feel right now that by being cagey we are our won worst enemies

Really good point!!! :rangers:

Beasley isn't good enough. Far too lightweight. Isn't up to the physicality of Scottish football. Would give Arron a run in the teamon the left. The full backs definitely need improvement. As much as I like Papac and Broadfoot they aren't Rangers class. Whittaker is just hopeless

Aye, Beasley's too lightweight so let's play Aaron 'The Incredible Hulk' Niguez doh

Aye, Beasley's too lightweight so let's play Aaron 'The Incredible Hulk' Niguez doh

a know

its big strong over quick and intellgent. like you said yourself its held us back as a country for years

a know

its big strong over quick and intellgent. like you said yourself its held us back as a country for years

It's the main reason (IMO) that we haven't qualified for anything since France '98.

I rated Hutton as decent enough - but to suggest he was anywhere near the class of Sandy Jardine is laughable.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if some did. After all I've seen some listings of Rangers greatest teams that had Gough picked ahead of Tam Forsyth.

And don't get me started on those who think Jim Baxter wasn't the greatest player to play for The Rangers. Ever.

:rangers:

Whos to say Hutton wouldnt have turned out to be better than Jardine? Remember him against Septic, Stuttgart etc??

Said it then, say it again now - we should never have sold him.

We'd have had 10 years loyal service from him and he would have gone on to captain the side.

You dont cash in on players like that when you hear a ching ching