Angry fans target Sir David Murray

Ally McCoist, the Rangers assistant manager, last night admitted that he and his players had to mentally block out the circus currently surrounding the club in order to see off St Johnstone 2-0 in the Homecoming Scottish Cup at McDiarmid Park.

A potential banana-skin for Rangers at a fraught time for the club was eased by Stuart McCaffrey’s bizarre own goal before half-time and Nacho Novo’s late winner. Yet the fuss surrounding Kris Boyd, and whether he will leave Rangers during the transfer window, was a preoccupation for many travelling Ibrox fans last night.

Sir David Murray made a rare foray to watch a Rangers away game. Because of his disability, Murray dislikes the hassles of games beyond Ibrox, but with a home in nearby rural Perthshire, he deigned to appear for this cup tie. By way of thanks, the Rangers chairman was rewarded with a “David Murray Must Go” banner which was unfurled — a sign of Rangers’ growing distress. As it transpired, Allan McGregor kept Rangers in the game with a series of first-half saves.

“All I can say to the Rangers fans is, stick with us, and help us,” McCoist said following the victory. “I’m a fan myself, so I know how a lot of the Rangers fans feel right now.

“We knew this would be a difficult game, with St Johnstone riding high in the first division. It was as difficult a game as we thought it would be. St Johnstone played well, particularly in the first half, and our goalkeeper kept us in it. But as the game wore on I felt we took a grip.”

The result was a relief for Walter Smith and Rangers, who will now meet Forfar Athletic, 6-1 slayers of Forres Mechanics, in the fifth round. For the record, Boyd was duly selected by Rangers last night.

“Kris Boyd is very single-minded,” McCoist said. “There was no problem in that regard. There was never any doubt about us playing him tonight. He didn’t score, but I thought his contribution was excellent.”

St Johnstone felt aggrieved at not being able to take advantage of their first-half superiority. On at least three different occasions McGregor rescued Rangers with acrobatic saves as Derek McInnes’s men took the game to their Clydesdale Bank Premier League opponents.

McInnes was despairing of the way Alan Main, his goalkeeper, and McCaffrey between them contrived to gift Rangers the lead after 42 minutes. Following an utter farce in the St Johnstone box, McCaffrey sliced the ball past his own goalkeeper.

“We made Allan McGregor work a few times but the ball just wouldn’t go in the back of the net,” McInnes said. “We had two or three opportunities in the opening half, and I knew that, if we got those chances, we’d need to be clinical with them. But we weren’t clinical enough.

“We forced a few chances, but we knew Rangers could hit us on the break. To go in one goal down at half-time was a real blow. And we lost a sloppy goal on our part. Rangers deserved to win but I felt 2-0 was a bit harsh.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5512928.ece

I wasn't confident at all going into it, with all the shite that's going on plus our recent form against them.

It certainly shouldn't be of course. But the players deserve credit for getting the job done.

We knew this would be a difficult game, with St Johnstone riding high in the first division.

Does anyone think it should have been a difficult game?

To be honest, I actually thought we'd have to go to a replay. Yep, we are an SPL side and they are first division. However, they are top of their league, unbeaten in 14 games and playing at home. When you consider C3ltic could only manage a 2-1 win against Dundee at the piggery, then it's not a bad result!

Also, they showed last season that they can play a bit! We'll play better and lose some game this season (tu)

We knew this would be a difficult game, with St Johnstone riding high in the first division.

An away game on a winter's night against a lower division team?

Always likely to be tricky, they will always be up for it, remember they are playing THE RANGERS.

We are only playing st johnstone....

cup ties are always difficult, just look at some of the fa cup results to see that its very true

we didnt play well 2nite, but lets put it in perspective, when was the last time we played well, really?!

good result in all

Should only be a difficult game for a team in first division mid to bottom of the table. As usual we drop our tempo to a lower level, stop playing passing football and play into their defence with high balls which are food and drink to players from that division. The few occasions we passed through the defence we were dangerous but they played better football.

Always a tough game playing teams at the top of their respective leagues because they are brimming with confidence.

Why was Murray there? I find it hard to believe it's because he has a place in Perthshire because it's not that difficult to move around our wee country since we got rid of the horse and carts :rolleyes:

Why was Murray there? I find it hard to believe it's because he has a place in Perthshire because it's not that difficult to move around our wee country since we got rid of the horse and carts :rolleyes:

I totally disagree, I'd think it can be very difficult to get around away stadiums being disabled. I've been at 2 lower league grounds and there's been much stairs.

You're obviously full of naivety and hatred.

Does anyone think it should have been an easy game - not me! Even the 'mighty' Celtic at home only just beat Dundee - St. Johnstone play good football, are well funded and so have good players had home advantage and a strange (hard and Bouncy) pitch. They would give many in the Premier league a decent game in Perth - so yes it always had 'difficult' written in for me - and it was BUT we won. Now Forfar - even I would struggle to see that as a difficult tie!

I can honestly say I never presumed this would be an easy game, they have played well against us the last few times we have met and this is there cup final (so to speak)

On the subject of the banner I will just repeat what I said last night, it was a waste of a bedsheet. The chairman is actively trying to sell the club he wants to go, what is the point in telling him. Will this attract buyers to the club…….

There was no way this was going to be a 5-0 or whatever. Games like these are the cup final for the lower league teams and will go all out to do their best. St Johnstone aquitted themselves by having a go, which is the best thing you can do when playing us. I think overall we deserved to go through and that is all that matters just now. Getting the wins in.

I dont recall 'David Murray Must Go' banners when he WAS ruining the club spending £12M on Flo and the likes to keep us on top.

On the subject of the banner I will just repeat what I said last night, it was a waste of a bedsheet. The chairman is actively trying to sell the club he wants to go, what is the point in telling him. Will this attract buyers to the club…….

It's a fair point but I can only assume these fans wanted to raise awareness of the issue to those fans who may not spend time on online or exploring the 'political' stuff.

I dont recall 'David Murray Must Go' banners when he WAS ruining the club spending £12M on Flo and the likes to keep us on top.

There wasn't because SDM making mistakes was a surprise. After all he'd just helped deliver one of the most successful periods in our history.

There were a few fanzine articles at the time questioning him but generally the fans still trusted him to do the job.

Unforutnately, with each passing year that becomes more and more open to debate. And that's why such displays of frustration are becoming more frequent.

It's a fair point but I can only assume these fans wanted to raise awareness of the issue to those fans who may not spend time on online or exploring the 'political' stuff.

Political or not it caused other fans to chant his name when they saw it and I believe there were arguments.

The really anti chairman stuff exists in the main online, or through the fanzines , and I think sometimes these people lose sight of the support at large and even consider them to be uneducated concerning what goes on in Rangers.

I have read a lot of good analysis of our current position and of the chairman online but I have read far more rubbish from people that should know better. I guess what I am saying is sometimes the people raising awareness are not always doing g it for the correct reasons