Rangers Greatest Goal Assist.

tannerall

21 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Oh here, thought of another one I always liked for a great inventive pass. Great run and finish too. Great goal all round.

Ian Ferguson from 35 seconds...

Derek playing in the first ever 'false-nine' position. :D

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Corky True Legend said:

"Assists" mean nothing in comparing players if they only include the last player to pass to the scorer. What if the player before that has beaten three defenders? What about the forward who draws two defenders out of position? They play every bit as much in "assisting" the goal.

Spot on.  Some of the assists granted to players recently have been ridiculous; for example someone tapping the ball to a player 25 yards out who then goes on to score with a long range effort. Some goals don't have an assist of any note and there's some where more than one player should take credit; the equaliser at home to Hibs (4-2) last season was one.  

1 hour ago, DietofWorms said:

Derek playing in the first ever 'false-nine' position. :D

I believe Beattie, Jeffers, Sandaza and Boyd second time around took that false number 9 centre-forward position to even higher levels later on.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

It's only in recent years that goal assists have been recorded.

So what's the greatest ever Rangers goal assist ?

In my opinion there is only one answer, a 90 yard "pass" from Peter McCloy to Willie Johnston. But feel free to add others.

2 minutes in on this video.

At 4.50 see our friend, Sandy Jardine off the line - we should have a topic on goal stoppers, as well as topics on 100+ goals & goal assists.

3 minutes ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

At 4.50 see our friend, Sandy Jardine off the line - we should have a topic on goal stoppers, as well as topics on 100+ goals & goal assists.

Go for it. 

I always remember big Tam's tackle on Mick Channon.

And our games against the ultimate goalstoppers, the Italian national back line that was Juventus in the 70s. 

We scored 2 goals against them to win over two legs, two goals against those guys in home and away games was a cricket score then. 

8 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Go for it. 

And our games against the ultimate goalstoppers, the Italian national back line that was Juventus in the 70s. 

We scored 2 goals against them to win over two legs, two goals against those guys in home and away games was a cricket score then. 

Needs one of those wizards on youtube mate - although you've done a smashing explanation, would be incredible on a video.  By the way; I think a surprise, or regular candidate would be our legendary John Greig.

2 hours ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

Big Marv's ping to Prso in the 3-1 game in August 05. Think it was Strachan's first OF game for them. 

Made even sweeter by Ian Crocker's commentary. Said something along the lines of "Marvin Andrews, not the players Rangers would like to see in possession this high up the field" and had barely finished the senrence when Marv dinked a belter of a pass up for Prso to finish on the volley. 

Perfect. 

2 minutes ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

That's the one. Not Ian Crocker on commentary, don't know why I had it in my head it was him. Either way a foot in mouth moment for whoever it is!

Jock Brown!

Voice of 9IAR.

3 hours ago, tannerall said:

Go for it. 

Here you go, the Forsyth tackle at around 7.50