Chequebook oot King

GOAT

4 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Very true RB.

I cannot for the life of me fathom why midfielders were such a priority at the end of last season & through the close season when it was crystal clear our problem area was defence. Irony is that it was a midfielder signed last season who had both the guile and vision to open the Accies defence in a way others couldnt.

I rejoiced when MW said at his 1st press conference that he would only sign players who would "add value to the squad" but I struggle to see what value a 38 year old CB brings.

If there were only limited funds available surely whatever we had should have been spent on strengthening the weakest areas of the team ie the defence as a matter of priority.

Agree with a lot of what you are saying but there were plenty on here and other social media outlets calling for a CDM to be signed as Halliday wasn't up to it and plenty thinking and still thinking guys like Holt and Halliday were good enough for the championship but that was their level.We need a commanding CH and CF the management have stated they are looking but let's be honest with ourselves about what was also said about the midfield as well.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Very true RB.

I cannot for the life of me fathom why midfielders were such a priority at the end of last season & through the close season when it was crystal clear our problem area was defence. Irony is that it was a midfielder signed last season who had both the guile and vision to open the Accies defence in a way others couldnt.

I rejoiced when MW said at his 1st press conference that he would only sign players who would "add value to the squad" but I struggle to see what value a 38 year old CB brings.

If there were only limited funds available surely whatever we had should have been spent on strengthening the weakest areas of the team ie the defence as a matter of priority.

You must be kidding. We hardly had a midfield last season, and I've said this before, but against Raith Rovers our midfield was Andy Halliday, period. Thinking that adding to the midfield wasn't a priority is incredible. And for the record, the midfielder who opened up their defence was Barton, who had guile and and vision in abundance. Sorry D'Art, but your post makes no sense at all.

9 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Time will tell mate, I personally doubt very much they are actively trying to get any new investment in. 

Of course Weeneily is convinced the Chinese are coming. 

I think half the problem is DK made 50M, 30M, 20M promises, he then got the chair and realised that there was ownership issues. Until they are resolved I think this board will keep the club in stasis and just balance the books for the FFP rules. I too believe a Chinese consortium is involved, remember Bill Ng said that he would still help Rangers after he pulled out of his bid, he also said that he would have got a group of Scottish investors who were bears to run the club for him. Ross, Scott and Taylor are all based in Hongkong. DK's consortium had 8 members when they offered the rescue package for control of the club. I don't know who the other members are.

22 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I think half the problem is DK made 50M, 30M, 20M promises, he then got the chair and realised that there was ownership issues. Until they are resolved I think this board will keep the club in stasis and just balance the books for the FFP rules. I too believe a Chinese consortium is involved, remember Bill Ng said that he would still help Rangers after he pulled out of his bid, he also said that he would have got a group of Scottish investors who were bears to run the club for him. Ross, Scott and Taylor are all based in Hongkong. DK's consortium had 8 members when they offered the rescue package for control of the club. I don't know who the other members are.

I'd be surprised if anything took Dave King by surprise by the time he got to the board. I think he may well think that his spending promises are being fulfilled in more than just the signing of the players, and to be fair to him he did highlight some of those issues of spending before he took over.

12 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'd be surprised if anything took Dave King by surprise by the time he got to the board. I think he may well think that his spending promises are being fulfilled in more than just the signing of the players, and to be fair to him he did highlight some of those issues of spending before he took over.

Maybe not, I based my opinion on that DK said he hadn't gone through the clubs contracts. He's had plenty of time now to go through everything and form a plan.He should make it clear now what that plan is, how much his kids are prepared to invest in Rangers and when the funds will be given. 

On 07/08/2016 at 0:12 PM, Bluepeter9 said:

People keep asking for £30m forcwhat I see. 

And havent both come out and said they expect more players on with MW saying he was looking at a CB and a forward? 

I don't think we need to spend anywhere near that to win this league.  I do think we might have to outlay a good few million, on a couple of quality signings.   We have done very well in the free market, the board and Warburton should be applauded for it, it's been amazing what they have managed with not a lot of money being spent up front.

The free market is drying up, the options are becoming more limited,  we have the loan market to dip into, but those guys usually lack the experience needed to challenge for this title.   I think we need another attacking player as well, an out and out stiker would be a good idea ( although that might interfere with our current system)

I'd like to see them maybe spend 4-5 milion on two marquee signings.  Someone in their late 20s or early 30s for defence as they will have the experience needed, and a stiker in, or near his prime.

Those two signings mightbe the difference between 1st and 2nd, and that ( financially) is a fucking huge difference when it comes to the following season.   Speculate to accumulate and all that.

No digs at the board right now from me, as generally I think they have done very well in the transfer market, but at the risk of sounding ungrateful,  we need more.

5 hours ago, gogzy said:

I don't think we need to spend anywhere near that to win this league.  I do think we might have to outlay a good few million, on a couple of quality signings.   We have done very well in the free market, the board and Warburton should be applauded for it, it's been amazing what they have managed with not a lot of money being spent up front.

The free market is drying up, the options are becoming more limited,  we have the loan market to dip into, but those guys usually lack the experience needed to challenge for this title.   I think we need another attacking player as well, an out and out stiker would be a good idea ( although that might interfere with our current system)

I'd like to see them maybe spend 4-5 milion on two marquee signings.  Someone in their late 20s or early 30s for defence as they will have the experience needed, and a stiker in, or near his prime.

Those two signings mightbe the difference between 1st and 2nd, and that ( financially) is a fucking huge difference when it comes to the following season.   Speculate to accumulate and all that.

No digs at the board right now from me, as generally I think they have done very well in the transfer market, but at the risk of sounding ungrateful,  we need more.

We do need more and I think more will come. 

I do think we are all a bit obsessed with a marquee signing - to me Barton was that. We are still a team in development but as a fan base our patience is negligible. 

I ( kinda) trust King and the board - I know there are £m loans into the club waiting to be converted to equity once some of the back end shite is sorted, there have been losses to fund , the wage bill will have increased and we do need money for players next year when (!) we qualify for Europe and King did say the investment WS over 4 years not just this season. 

We all want 55 but we need to also be patient and we also need to work within our means. All we can do is support which we are doing ( season tickets etc) but l suspect we also need time to get there. 

I can't see the "glib and shameless liar" putting his hand in his pocket for the club, he's more likely to do a midnight flit with any of our cash he can get his grubby little paws on.

We need at least a striker and a defender and if we get them it'll be bargain basement time again. 

When you compare our need for a defender to a striker, the striker is a luxury item. The defence must be bolstered, I find it bizarre that this wasn't the first position to be addressed by MW. 

On 09/08/2016 at 1:22 AM, Sweetheart said:

Maybe not, I based my opinion on that DK said he hadn't gone through the clubs contracts. He's had plenty of time now to go through everything and form a plan.He should make it clear now what that plan is, how much his kids are prepared to invest in Rangers and when the funds will be given. 

That Q&A session was his way of avoiding answers, the big question is when will Dave King invest?

He often talks about 'we invested' or 'we have invested substantially' but what that actually means is  'fans have substantially invested'                  while he has only invested in shares, which he can then sell or hand down to his children, we don't get any return for our ST money if we don't win the league.

So when he says 'we invested' What he is really saying is 'we invested Fans Money I.E. the fans ST money on X & Y & will do same in January'

9 minutes ago, 1ClubMan72 said:

That Q&A session was his way of avoiding answers, the big question is when will Dave King invest?

He often talks about 'we invested' or 'we have invested substantially' but what that actually means is  'fans have substantially invested'                  while he has only invested in shares, which he can then sell or hand down to his children, we don't get any return for our ST money if we don't win the league.

So when he says 'we invested' What he is really saying is 'we invested Fans Money I.E. the fans ST money on X & Y & will do same in January'

you maybe correct, I see him as keeping the club in stasis until the ownership court case has been finalised. All the board need to do realistically is make the books balance to comply with the FFP rules.

Was warburton and the players fault we didn't win against Hamilton, not DK.

Maybe Warburton doesn't want 2 strikers or a CB etc or is waiting for the right one instead of a panic buy? 

Warburton has always said the backing of the board has been fantastic. 

1 minute ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Was warburton and the players fault we didn't win against Hamilton, not DK.

Maybe Warburton doesn't want 2 strikers or a CB etc or is waiting for the right one instead of a panic buy? 

Warburton has always said the backing of the board has been fantastic. 

If DK announced a plan to the fan base on what the board is prepared to invest in the squad and over what time scale. Then fans would have a better idea of where we're at. I believe Warburton wants additional players but hasn't found the quality needed for the amount he has allocated in his budget. He has always said the backing of the board has been fantastic.

Where we are at now would be there or there abouts to win a league against Diala and his squad.

Rodgers and his signings by all accounts seem to have pushed them on a level. 

A commanding CH and goal scoring striker are musts this transfer window not January. 

The priority should be a centre half, no two ways about it, but we also need a goalscorer. 

It's all well and good playing the football we play, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty away from home, we need someone who can stick the ball in the net out of nothing. 

In his first spell, Boyd must've won us countless points away to Tannadice and Fir Park with a single goal and a finish from basically nowhere, that is what we need imo (obviously not Boyd personally :lol:) 

On 09/08/2016 at 0:44 AM, Turnberry18 said:

You must be kidding. We hardly had a midfield last season, and I've said this before, but against Raith Rovers our midfield was Andy Halliday, period. Thinking that adding to the midfield wasn't a priority is incredible. And for the record, the midfielder who opened up their defence was Barton, who had guile and and vision in abundance. Sorry D'Art, but your post makes no sense at all.

So Forrester Halliday, Holt were just a figment of my imagination last season T ? Then add Crooks, Kranjcar, Windass, Barton & Rossiter.

I know Im getting on a bit these days - but I could have sworn it was Forrester not Barton who laid on the goal for Waghorn.

57 minutes ago, D'Artagnan said:

So Forrester Halliday, Holt were just a figment of my imagination last season T ? Then add Crooks, Kranjcar, Windass, Barton & Rossiter.

I know Im getting on a bit these days - but I could have sworn it was Forrester not Barton who laid on the goal for Waghorn.

Forrester wasn't really played in midfield last season and Holt hasn't been the same player since he came back from injury earlier this year; he hasn't recaptured that earlier form at all, which was evident in some of the end of season games we played. We were very short in midfield numbers; and, yes, you're right that Forrester set up the goal for Waghorn, but having experience and talent such as Rossiter and Barton has allowed Forrester to come into the midfield. If you suggest that we didn't need to build up our midfield then I think you are wrong about that D'Art. I also see no evidence that you are getting on a bit these days D'Art!

33 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Forrester wasn't really played in midfield last season and Holt hasn't been the same player since he came back from injury earlier this year; he hasn't recaptured that earlier form at all, which was evident in some of the end of season games we played. We were very short in midfield numbers; and, yes, you're right that Forrester set up the goal for Waghorn, but having experience and talent such as Rossiter and Barton has allowed Forrester to come into the midfield. If you suggest that we didn't need to build up our midfield then I think you are wrong about that D'Art. I also see no evidence that you are getting on a bit these days D'Art!

Its not about not building up the midfield T - its about bulding it up to the exclusion of other areas of need.

PS Flattery about my eternal youth will get you nowhere !

On 9 August 2016 at 7:04 AM, Bluepeter9 said:

We do need more and I think more will come. 

I do think we are all a bit obsessed with a marquee signing - to me Barton was that. We are still a team in development but as a fan base our patience is negligible. 

I ( kinda) trust King and the board - I know there are £m loans into the club waiting to be converted to equity once some of the back end shite is sorted, there have been losses to fund , the wage bill will have increased and we do need money for players next year when (!) we qualify for Europe and King did say the investment WS over 4 years not just this season. 

We all want 55 but we need to also be patient and we also need to work within our means. All we can do is support which we are doing ( season tickets etc) but l suspect we also need time to get there. 

Agree with this.

When I think back a couple of years to the situation we, as a club, were in, both financially and legally, I remember lots of guys on here saying that when we got sorted we should NEVER allow ourselves to get into such a financial mess EVER again. (Caps intentional!)

Now...we have guys wanting us to spend money which we clearly don't have! Some are hoping that a rich benefactor will appear!

Some years back one did...David Murray! Aptly nicknamed 'The Mint'. 

Well........look what happened...Yes, we saw some of the greatest football I've ever witnessed, we had some unbelievable European nights at the Brox, and we had some outstanding footballers!

Then the shit hit the fan!

We're probably not going to see that level of investment again! We need to work and spend within our means, produce our own players and hopefully sell them for a profit. 

When I think what Warbs has achieved in such a short space of time and with such a relatively small outlay I have belief in both him and the Board!

Give them a chance.... 

We'll get there guys, but I think we'll need just a wee bit of patience.

Never Forget Never Forgive

1 minute ago, D'Artagnan said:

Its not about not building up the midfield T - its about bulding it up to the exclusion of other areas of need.

PS Flattery about my eternal youth will get you nowhere !

That was worth a try!  I still think that we needed to do what we have done in midfield, and it will show as the weeks go on that this midfield will make the whole team do well. We need another defender, and I would have rather have had younger CB to Hill, and another full-back- Hill is a good pro, but is he suited to our style and formation? One more striker would be good, but only one that is better than what we have right now.

6 minutes ago, terry739 said:

Agree with this.

When I think back a couple of years to the situation we, as a club, were in, both financially and legally, I remember lots of guys on here saying that when we got sorted we should NEVER allow ourselves to get into such a financial mess EVER again. (Caps intentional!)

Now...we have guys wanting us to spend money which we clearly don't have! Some are hoping that a rich benefactor will appear!

Well........look what happened...Yes, we saw some of the greatest football I've ever witnessed, we had some unbelievable European nights at the Brox, and we had some outstanding footballers!

We're probably not going to see that level of investment again! We need to work and spend within our means, produce our own players and hopefully sell them for a profit. 

When I think what Warbs has achieved in such a short space of time and with such a relatively small outlay I have belief in both him and the Board!

Give them a chance.... 

Spot on (tu)

28 minutes ago, terry739 said:

Agree with this.

Give them a chance.... 

Agreed, I would also like to add Imho, if the court case goes against CG, then the club will revert back to BDO to be resold. If DK and MW invest all the money now building the club up, they will have to pay more to BDO when buying it back. All the board are require to do is balance the books to adhere to FPP rules. Patience is needed until these court cases are over. I believe MW will bring what's needed in on loan.