Gaz52

Are we going to finish 2nd?  

314 members have voted

1. 1. Confident or not?

• Confident
    • Not confident
    • Not sure

2 minutes ago, simplythebest said:

I think we should have a good enough squad for 2nd, easy for us to go on about Celtic having a higher wage bill therefore we can't expect to finish above them but we also have a higher wage bill than Aberdeen and Hearts so people can't have it both ways 

My lack of confidence is based on what we've seen so far but like I said it'll depend on the next few weeks, five games that we should really be winning before going away to Hearts, there's not much margin for error 

To be honest your last point is vital because it can compound itself on to our performances in terms of pressure etc; every match becomes crucial.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought they played to a certain tempo at times on Sunday with Halliday and Holt.
But!!!! Not for long enough periods and we were playing the manky tramps and should chuck it you cannot get up to face them.
If they take that into every match between now and the end of the season we should finish second.  

I think we can finish 2nd but I am not sure whether we actually will.

MW doesn't know his strongest team. We still have too many not in form or coming back from injury so not sharp. The defense while looking better is still prone to lapses. We are not scoring nearly enough goals to justify a 4-3-3 formation. For me there are too many negatives and not enough positives and saying Hearts and Aberdeen are shite isn't good enough - we still have to beat them and beat more of the other teams than they do. We are not doing that yet.

However a good run up till xmas could easily put us in 2nd position, but it is seeing where that run is coming from based on current evidence rather than blind faith thats the problem.

Im still confident.

We vastly outplayed aberdeen at shitodrie and bar some poor finishing and even worse refereeing we would have won. Aberdeen have been heralded as the second best team in scotland and we played them off the park.

There was always going to be a settling in period this season which is surprising that so many fellow gers fans are panicking. Its still very early in the season, we have another transfer window to move players on (barton, waghorn) and bring in better players. I've not seen enough of hertz but by all accounts they have looked poor and fans have apparently been calling for neilsons head so lets just keep calm and see where the next couple of months and important games leaves us. 

Do we have the players to finish second? Yes I believe we do, Do we have the confidence, squad unity and belief, sadly right now I don't think the answer to that is yes, hope we can turn this around but whatever happens I'll be there and next season and beyond as well.

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

To be honest your last point is vital because it can compound itself on to our performances in terms of pressure etc; every match becomes crucial.

Yeah agreed, unfortunately it's the position we put ourselves in early on dropping points against Hamilton, Kilmarnock and Ross County. Even Aberdeen away we should have got a point albeit the referee messed us up there 

41 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Countered Celtic a good few times? like that's a class act from us? fucking hell.

It's OK saying if Holt scored, but flip it and say what if Dembele scored the 2 he hit right at Gilks ... or Sinclairs free-kick off the bar went in ... or the 2 Griffiths cut backs before the goal landed on target with the shots that followed ... crazy logic to use considering Celtic created about 5/6 good chances.

Indeed.

We played like a diddy team, hoping to keep it tight, then nick one on the break.

Nearly paid off, mind!

2 minutes ago, HG5 said:

Indeed.

We played like a diddy team, hoping to keep it tight, then nick one on the break.

Nearly paid off, mind!

All this talk about containing Celtic and hitting them on the counter attack once or twice actually sums up the level of expectations we have at our club now.

We've let the standards and expectations slip so low (in excuse of mr Magic Hat and Dave King's failings) that we talk in terms of containing Celtic and creating a chance to score .. ffs .. it's like we are Ross County or St Mirren playing them at Hampden now.

I've said a few times recently on here that some fans want to be seen as patient, loyal and non-critical like that's the main thing to being a Rangers suppoter - even in place of winning. It's sickening.

Can't see it tbh! However like I said in a previous thread we'll see where we are at around the start of the New Year as we play St Johnstone twice, Hearts twice, the sheep and the scum. If we are say still hanging around mid table then unfortunately for Mr Warburton it'll be time for him to go as not qualifying for Europe would only make us fall further behind the tarries on and off the field. Just don't see enough positives to give me any kind of confidence.

Many seem to think we will get better and we will. The problem is so will everyone else. We seem to think everyone else will remain static and they have players who have been over this course before. We do no posses the quality or the guile that this league demands to make a major impression.

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

All this talk about containing Celtic and hitting them on the counter attack once or twice actually sums up the level of expectations we have at our club now.

We've let the standards and expectations slip so low (in excuse of mr Magic Hat and Dave King's failings) that we talk in terms of containing Celtic and creating a chance to score .. ffs .. it's like we are Ross County or St Mirren playing them at Hampden now.

I've said a few times recently on here that some fans want to be seen as patient, loyal and non-critical like that's the main thing to being a Rangers suppoter - even in place of winning. It's sickening.

Its called being realistic.

Thats half the problem fans bought into Kings soundbites which were never going to happen.

For Rangers going forward it is going to be growth which is affordable, it will take longer but at least we will be living within our means and it is sustainable, the way some folk are harping on about spending big etc we would be in admin 2.

It might hurt playing second fiddle for a while and struggling to compete with the Tims but I'd rather that than not have a team to support.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Celtic aside we've dominated near enough everyday we've played. 

I am 100% confident that we'll finish 2nd. 

Dominated isn't the same as winning the games and getting the points on the board. We've not won more games than we've won in the league (I think, at quick count?) - and that's with us dominating. What's that say?

Just now, BigBearButt said:

Its called being realistic.

Thats half the problem fans bought into Kings soundbites which were never going to happen.

For Rangers going forward it is going to be growth which is affordable, it will take longer but at least we will be living within our means and it is sustainable, the way some folk are harping on about spending big etc we would be in admin 2.

It might hurt playing second fiddle for a while and struggling to compete with the Tims but I'd rather that than not have a team to support.

Therein lies another massive problem. Why does it have to be one or the other?

It doesn't.

and you said something at the start about being realistic?

1 hour ago, bluchoo said:

The only difference is we didnt concede as many goals and kept 11 men on the pitch.

in terms of every stat from posession to shots to corners we were worse than a month ago.

I'm sure we were down to 9 men given McKay and Windass were awol 

6 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Celtic aside we've dominated near enough everyday we've played. 

I am 100% confident that we'll finish 2nd. 

If dominating is having a lot more possession but doing fuck all with it then you're right.

Teams let us have the ball, sit in knowing it only takes a set-piece or a brainfart from one our back 4 and they'll score.

Just now, K.A.I said:

Therein lies another massive problem. Why does it have to be one or the other?

It doesn't.

and you said something at the start about being realistic?

It does though, we are not capable of bridging the gap with the current crop of players (as shown in the last two old firm games) thus we need more investment in the playing staff, this wont happen in one go, we cant afford it. We will build bit by bit and add quality when we can.