Walter Smith - Non-Executive Chairman Confirmed by LSE

yes, delegated, not bought in.

Managers at football clubs do not get involved in the boardroom business dealings, it's not their job. You think he's been moonlighting as a company chairman?

But you keep believeing that that is how a football club is run, we'll be happy to overlook the ridiculousness of your comments.

So I assume, from what you are saying Charles Green offering Walter the Chairmans role a year ago was to install him as a puppet Chairman and not because he could fufill the role.

Ehmmmmmmmmmmmmm left school worked in a bank, started a business built the business up and was made an offer I couldn't refuse sold out a number of years ago and that provides me with a good income without having to work for the last 8 years and have a nice pension fund that's sitting waiting for me, albeit the annuity rates will be shit but will add to the income I have been drawing down.

Also held MD positions with a couple of companies only on a short term contract to help get the businesses up and running.

Apart from the above well really nothing I suppose.

What school did you go to... :000000082:

What school did you go to... :000000082:

The right kind :P many on here call me stupid, but at my age you could leave school after 'O' levels and get a good job, but running a business well not all about intelligence other skills are required as we used to say..............more intellectual derelicts walking about Glasgow bust , as they can't see beyond their own opinion.

So I assume, from what you are saying Charles Green offering Walter the Chairmans role a year ago was to install him as a puppet Chairman and not because he could fufill the role.

If you care to look back to that offer , you may recall Watty was offered Chairman ship of what was to be the football board and another MM would be Chairman of the business side of things........Watty declined said offer...............one wonders why?

The right kind :P many on here call me stupid, but at my age you could leave school after 'O' levels and get a good jib, but running a business well not all about intelligence other skills are required as we used to say..............more intellectual derelicts walking about Glasgow bust , as they can't see beyond their own opinion.

Find it easy to agree with that..

100% this!

Really fuck me, are you comparing this to people who sit on Football Club boards or what...............how does Watty know everything about running a football club, did he negotiate contracts.....was he involved in running costs, do you then blame Waty for the history of players being signed that had a poor record re injuries, could Watty tell you the profit margin on the price of a pie when he was Manager.............I'm at a loss how you can come to the 100% backing of that post?

Really fuck me, are you comparing this to people who sit on Football Club boards or what...............how does Watty know everything about running a football club, did he negotiate contracts.....was he involved in running costs, do you then blame Waty for the history of players being signed that had a poor record re injuries, could Watty tell you the profit margin on the price of a pie when he was Manager.............I'm at a loss how you can come to the 100% backing of that post?

To his credit? he's an eternal optimist. Every decision anyone at Rangers makes or anything anyone at Rangers does is 100% the right one in his eyes. Anyone at Rangers and the club short term at least can do no wrong, no matter what.

BluePeter9 isn't a bad guy, he's far from the worst on here even though I rarely agree with him but he is a wee bit deluded if I'm being honest. He probably would say the same about me tho.

To his credit? he's an eternal optimist. Every decision anyone at Rangers makes or anything anyone at Rangers does is 100% the right one in his eyes. Anyone at Rangers and the club short term at least can do no wrong, no matter what.

BluePeter9 isn't a bad guy, he's far from the worst on here even though I rarely agree with him but he is a wee bit deluded if I'm being honest. He probably would say the same about me tho.

Fair comment, I only dislike him because he votes snp :7325:

Stupid move - the man knows the club but has zero business experience.

Zero business experience?

Walter has had many business interests outwith football.

It's not his business experience which will stand him in good stead though, it's the experience he's picked up within football, particularly the 10+ years spent with Rangers. I can't think of anyone better suited to this particular job. Don't underestimate Walter Smith, he is a very intelligent man.

I think this is a way of steadying the ship in the short term until we find a suitable replacement. Although Smith is by no means Bill Gates, he isn't a complete novice in business either; not that I think this will matter too much anyway as Craig Mather will take care of most matters in his role as CEO.

Providing this is the way things are done, I think could be a decent move in terms of addressing the concerns of shareholders towards the whole boardroom situation. Only in the short term, however.

As predicted Green was pushed out so Smith could get his hands on this job, more of the jobs for the boys. The club is never going to get anywhere with these people.

tell you what , the rebel will be happy with this .They will get all the exclusives now .

If you care to look back to that offer , you may recall Watty was offered Chairman ship of what was to be the football board and another MM would be Chairman of the business side of things........Watty declined said offer...............one wonders why?

"Green was quick to invite Smith and his backers on board, offering to take the 64-year-old on as chairman of the football club."

Did not realise that this was a created Role, from the outside looking in there seems to be a bit of Boardroom snobbery being used here.

If I am not being stupid here, how would a Chairman of a longstanding Pie Company fare if he stepped into the position of Chairman of The board of Rangers, do you think the fact he does not have a lifetime of working in the Football industry would hold him back.

Zero business experience?

Walter has had many business interests outwith football.

It's not his business experience which will stand him in good stead though, it's the experience he's picked up within football, particularly the 10+ years spent with Rangers. I can't think

of anyone better suited to this particular job. Don't underestimate Walter Smith, he is a very intelligent man.

And working under Sir Alex Ferguson can only help. Plus having contacts in high places. People don't think of these things though.