Things you miss from the lower leagues

MisterC

As it's international week and there's not much happening in and around the club worth discussing, I thought I'd chat going reminiscing about the glory days of rising back up through the leagues. 

Let's face it, the football was shite and those allegedly running the club were not exactly doing a good job. In amongst this though were some trips to the far flung corners of Scotland and whole host of other adventures. 

So, what do we miss the most about those days? For me it was being able to smoke in some grounds, the more open ones with no cover. Plus some games were on BBC alba and garlic commentary is great, especially with the Rugby but that's another story.... 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, MisterC said:

As it's international week and there's not much happening in and around the club worth discussing, I thought I'd chat going reminiscing about the glory days of rising back up through the leagues. 

Let's face it, the football was shite and those allegedly running the club were not exactly doing a good job. In amongst this though were some trips to the far flung corners of Scotland and whole host of other adventures. 

So, what do we miss the most about those days? For me it was being able to smoke in some grounds, the more open ones with no cover. Plus some games were on BBC alba and garlic commentary is great, especially with the Rugby but that's another story.... 

This duo.

wvwu9y.jpg

11 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Getting more than 1 away ticket a season on ccs , being welcomed by clubs , no bile and hatred towards us like the spl , I thoroughly enjoyed our warbuton season in the championship 

I'll agree with this, we got some great welcomes from the clubs and it was great to have the blue pound benefitting the small clubs than the spl clubs that we all hate 

Stranraer away on a Tuesday night :crabflute:

I enjoyed a lot of they away days. Everyone knew it was a piss up if it was a longer drive than an hour so we used to leave like 3 hours earlier and camp in a boozer till the game. Total carnage everywhere we went. 

One thing I’ll always remember is going up to Arbroath and the driver turns up with smoke pissing out the back of the bus. No chance were we getting there in that and sure enough broke down it Cumbernauld. Cunt that turned up to fix it turned up with cable ties and nothing else :lol:. Back down the road to Rutherglen for some reason. Left the pub in a worse nick than I would’ve if a got to Arbroath. Didn’t know central had an underground bit so genuinely thought a was getting kidnapped so sat against one of the pillars phoning the mrs to come get me. She guided me tae Queen St about 3 hours later then came n got me anyway :lol:

36 minutes ago, MisterC said:

fat.jpg

Not much to be honest.

I thought it was the right thing to do at the time and I was delighted to see Rangers play at every ground in Scotland (minus Albion Rovers) but the football was dire, McCoist was dire, the players were dire, there was a constant off-the-park circus and to be honest, once you'd seen 2 or 3 of the grounds they all seemed the same after that and you felt like you'd seen them all.

12 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Not much to be honest.

I thought it was the right thing to do at the time and I was delighted to see Rangers play at every ground in Scotland (minus Albion Rovers) but the football was dire, McCoist was dire, the players were dire, there was a constant off-the-park circus and to be honest, once you'd seen 2 or 3 of the grounds they all seemed the same after that and you felt like you'd seen them all.

One of my season ticket holder mates didn’t see Rangers shoot down the Copland road end the full McCoist lower division era ??

Local businesses in random towns (pubs or shops).

I dont wanna go back... but some banter with these guys was funny. No hatred of Rangers and you knew they earned more in a matchday when we were in town than they normally done in a month.

The wee guy that traveled all the way from Argentina to watch us play and the poor Japanese journalist that came to cover our game but because Elgin printed too many tickets he didn't get to see the game. We also helped to inject much needed money into a lot of these lower leagues sides :cheers: