Bates Wage?

11 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

And whilst on or before earning 4K pw represented scotland youths, had over 70 domestic appearances for the scum, played european including CL football, then a month after signing new contract captained his country.

Yet Bates despite not being comparable in terms of level of achievements should be on 25% more than Tierney was whilst he was genuinely establishing and proving himself.

Why so?

Because, at 4K per week, I believe he was underpaid and his club were banking on the boy’s love of his team. They no doubt offered the new dealbased on performances and to reflect his higher profile but also the increased likelihood of an offer coming in. Bates seems happy enough but I don’t know what he would say to an offer of 15k per week from a Cardiff or a Fulham?

Having let Wilson go, Alves presumably offski, Martin in his thirties and Cardoso a major let down, I think 5 or 6 grand a week to retain a solid performer is good business. To replace him (say someone like Hendry who went to the scum), we’d need to offer more than that.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

See for all the talk on here an debating over figures that could easilly have been plucked out of thin air, Rangrs will offer him what they think he’s worth an if he signs good, if he thinks he can do better then he’ll go

either way I’m not fussed because I’m hoping to see him as a backup next year, I’d rather see us sign a more accomplished an better standard of player at cb maybe even 2 if alves, Martin an possibly Cardoso go

bates could change my mind between now an the start of next season because he is getting better but time will tell

21 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Bates seems happy enough but I don’t know what he would say to an offer of 15k per week from a Cardiff or a Fulham?

How realistic is it that an English Championship club are going to offer a player like Bates £15k/week?  When we signed Rossiter he was the captain of the England youth side, had represented the Liverpool first-team in Europe, was worth a reported £8m, and I doubt he was on more than £8k/week despite being at an EPL club.

Last season I often wondered how Bates had made it as a proffesional footballer and now he seems to be seen as the new Richard Gough. I personally think he is ok but understand why some rate him so highly. I’m recent years we’ve really struggled for decent centre halves so I think we are probably more complementary to one that is half decent and shows a bit of desire. I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a great centre half but I think the club is right to offer what they feel he is worth. I also think if McCrorie is fit Bates isn’t in the team.

4 minutes ago, FSM said:

Think about poor Bates though, only a 60% payrise. Boy must be in bits.

I know it’s a tough life for the boy. Fair play to him though as any player would try and get the best deal. If he doesn’t get the deal he wants i’ll show him how to make his money up. On that note, could I interest you in some state of the art brilliant white paper? I’ll throw in a couple of staplers and a few pens for good measure.

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Billythebear. I think your mistaken about me. I just like the Queen's English to be used appropriately.  Surely your in agreement with that. 

I may be a prick. But I'm the RM prick. So I'm you're prick too. 

We got off on the wrong footing. Can we go back and start again. I'm willing if your too.....

your*

Bates has shown himself to be a decent SPL level defender, nothing more, nothing less. He deserves whatever the club's going rate for a relatively junior first-team squad member is.

Basing his pay on that handed out to permanently unfit underachievers isn't really much of a business model.

I hope he sticks around and continues to improve but we wouldn't be losing the new Beckenbauer or Baresi if he wanted to move away for more money.

7 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

Because, at 4K per week, I believe he was underpaid and his club were banking on the boy’s love of his team. They no doubt offered the new dealbased on performances and to reflect his higher profile but also the increased likelihood of an offer coming in. Bates seems happy enough but I don’t know what he would say to an offer of 15k per week from a Cardiff or a Fulham?

Having let Wilson go, Alves presumably offski, Martin in his thirties and Cardoso a major let down, I think 5 or 6 grand a week to retain a solid performer is good business. To replace him (say someone like Hendry who went to the scum), we’d need to offer more than that.

It's actually a very good comparison you've provided.

Tierney loves the scum, knew making it would bring the rewards, proved himself over a lengthy period in big domestic euro and international games and was rewarded for doing so.

With Bates to go over I'd say 4k would be puting the cart before the horse. The way Rangers used to operate.

If we are to keep him on, and I'm fairly sure MA can find better, 4k would be more than acceptable on another year's contract to let him prove himself against hopefully better CH signings than Cardoso Martin and Alves.

If he is on 1.5k just now i reckon a rise to 4k would be reasonable. If he continues to stay in the team and turn in solid performances then by all means,give him more.

Anything more than 4k just now is just throwing away needless money,something we're rather good at.

6 hours ago, Billythebear77 said:

He hardly misplaced a pass last week mate 

Even I would argue his distribution is better now he's calmed down with the 50 yard passes out the back. Much simpler short passing, and even the longer ones are to a forward coming towards him so it's a straight pass rather than the probing ones over the top he was really poor at.

8 hours ago, Amato said:

£2500 p/w seems like a perfectly reasonable offer. Assuming it settles out at say £3k a week (over £150k a year) that's a great wage for a 21 year old who has only played a handful of games for us (and not that many more for lower league teams prior to signing for us). 

Can't compare him to the likes of Alves who has 90 odd caps for Portugal and who should be our absolute best CB.

Nope can't compare them at all. One is having a decent season the other hasn't contributed at all.

14 minutes ago, Sket said:

If he is on 1.5k just now i reckon a rise to 4k would be reasonable. If he continues to stay in the team and turn in solid performances then by all means,give him more.

Anything more than 4k just now is just throwing away needless money,something we're rather good at.

Sensible, that amount to tie him down to a contract would be good with an option to review and renew if he comes on leaps and bounds.

Was Marvin Andrews playing for us for 2500 a week. I wouldn't have thought he'd be on as little as that.

Bates to me looks at his level, he has time on his side and could get better. I'm not saying he deserves the same wage as any ex player, but I'd be surprised if any current 1st team player is paid as little as 2500 a week.

Folk comparing % to real life jobs is just daft. It's not how football works. Boy is out of contract and if we want him to stay we should offer a decent deal. He is also keeping Bruno alves out the team.

Also, forget what Ian black was paid. That lot of players were paid to drop down the league's. We all know how that turned out. I hope the club never allows a manager that much freedom in the future.

20 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Truth is - no average Rangers fan knows any wage any of our players are on.  They really don’t 

Doesn’t stop folk talking complete shite though 

:tu:

It goes on daily in here , nobody knows and will never know what any players are paid.

11 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Not sure if this still applies but Rangers made a big mistake with John Fleck and I remember reading (many years ago now) that the club didn't want to make that same mistake moving forward.  Fleck had a big reputation and started breaking in to the first-team so the club offered him a new contract, which he initially rejected, and improved terms were offered.  Fleck never lived up to the initial hype and it was hard to justify the wages he was on during the years that followed.  The club didn't want to offer first-team wages to youth prospects again.  Bates has shown early promise and the club have responded by offering him improved terms that seems reasonable enough.  

Did they not offer Billy Gilmour the same money as Chelsea did ?