Bates is off

jjbscotty12

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Smile said:

He's better than what we have in Alves Cardoso and Martin and still young enough to improve we will struggle to get anyone to take those high earners from us. 

This board is stupid and naive why let a contract run down.

If what being asked for is more than we value the player is worth then we are right to let the contract rundown in this case, if we had not kept him the club would have been bashed even more by you. So it’s your fault.:dance:

2 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Letting Wilson and Bates go for peanuts in a relatively short space of time when we've currently got the likes of Alves, Cardoso, and Martin to choose from seems like an enormous oversight. I'm not sure either one of them were ever going to set the world alight but - factoring in talent, potential, and commitment - the quality of our centre-defensive options has dipped considerably in six months. 

If the DOF has done this as he feels he can get us better value for our buck that’s fine. He’s got to deliver on that though. 

3 CH’s required imo

2 minutes ago, piperpete said:

If what being asked for is more than we value the player is worth then we are right to let the contract rundown in this case, if we had not kept him the club would have been bashed even more by you. So it’s your fault.:dance:

Does not make sense.

6 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

In what does it show that at all? He’s a young centre half who’s improvement rate has been absolutely rapid in the last year and has proven himself in the Old Firm. He’s only going to get better and he’ll be a full international in a season.

More so, I’m gonna have to hold back on dismissing the standard of Bundesliga 2 when we’re playing our games in this cesspit.

Canny make out what your first sentence is supposed to say, but I’m willing to bet Bates isn’t a full international within a year.

Likely he’ll be playing 2.B next season but lets not kid ourselves, that is a brilliant move.  Serious questions needing asked. Wilson and now Bates within 4 months is really disappointing. 

2 minutes ago, rangersross said:

Letting Wilson and Bates go for peanuts in a relatively short space of time when we've currently got the likes of Alves, Cardoso, and Martin to choose from seems like an enormous oversight. I'm not sure either one of them were ever going to set the world alight but - factoring in talent, potential, and commitment - the quality of our centre-defensive options has dipped considerably in six months. 

It has dipped but is it an oversight or is it more a case of taking a step back to take a step forwards?

Bates and Wilson were both out of contract in the Summer and if they aren’t in the DOF’s long term plans then it would have been bad business to give them both new and improved deals only for them to end up on the bench when new first choice defenders are brought in come the Summer.

Guys like Alves & Cardoso don’t have long term futures here either, but with them being under contract they will be harder to shift than two guys who were free to talk to clubs were.

5 minutes ago, Inigo said:

If (emphasise if) that was the case, then I can understand us being reluctant to deal.

Stillt hink we should have had it sorted out before it came to these kinds of figures, though. The DoF and the staff are supposed to have the foresight to avoid these kinds of situations. To see a player mice and early and get them signed up on favourable terms.

There had been rumours about him wanting high wages for a whilst though. I personally thought he'd be happy with his progress considering his last club was Raith. I don't know why he thinks he's worth that, probably the agent

Just now, markem said:

If the DOF has done this as he feels he can get us better value for our buck that’s fine. He’s got to deliver on that though. 

3 CH’s required imo

As you say: they aren't necessarily bad bits of business if we can upgrade in the summer. However, in the short term, I'd rather have Bates and Wilson than Cordoso, Alves, or Martin, so we really need a complete overhaul in that area now (whereas I'd have been happy to keep Bates and Wilson as backup). 

Let's be honest he was not top class, average at best, okay had youth on his side which gives him time to progress and he does have potential but we should be aiming higher.

Good luck to him but I'm glad we ain't being held to ransom, he obviously wanted to be elsewhere or he would still be a Rangers player.

2 minutes ago, JWAC said:

There had been rumours about him wanting high wages for a whilst though. I personally thought he'd be happy with his progress considering his last club was Raith. I don't know why he thinks he's worth that, probably the agent

Not that long. Not at the start of the season when he'd hardly played. Would have been cheaper back then, and staff worth their salt should be spotting potential and tying it down.

Archived