Reckon David Bates might be regretting his exit?

pcbear

I like Bates a lot and I am sorry to see him go. I have to believe that Mark Allen let him go because he knew Gerrard was likely coming and that high quality central defenders have been identified and will also be arriving. 

He's getting more money elsewhere. He would probably have been 4th choice here. He done well for us but if we really want to push on we need better IMO even if IMO he is currently our best defender. We probably need at least 3 centre halves now though..........

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

I have no doubt Steven Gerrard will have his own players in mind, but imo big Bates is a proper old school defender and will be a goodun, to lose that over no money at all seems daft but hey its all about opinions.

I've said a million times it's about circumstances too. Unfortunately for him he was out of contract whilst Cardoso and Alves aren't. So given Mccrorie is also considered s CH, if we offered Bates a new contract then we were effectively tying a new manager to the same CHs that have been so poor this season. Which would've been negligent.

If others had been out of contract first then maybe. But as it stood it was the right decision not to offer him the money others appear to have.

1 minute ago, five stars said:

Why bring in Martin and Alves who are approaching the end of their careers and let go of Bates who's just really beginning his.

Martin is on loan. Alves is contracted for another year. Bates was going out of contract.

When Alves was brought in Bates had played a handful of games.

It's circumstances.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I've said a million times it's about circumstances too. Unfortunately for him he was out of contract whilst Cardoso and Alves aren't. So given Mccrorie is also considered s CH, if we offered Bates a new contract then we were effectively tying a new manager to the same CHs that have been so poor this season. Which would've been negligent.

If others had been out of contract first then maybe. But as it stood it was the right decision not to offer him the money others appear to have.

I see exactly wher you are coming from there but after Wilsons exit and Alves/Cardoso being shite  and Martin being shite but on loan, whats a few grand a week to sign up a proper defender who would make that back plus plenty when transferred if he never nailed a berth?

Martin is on loan. Alves is contracted for another year. Bates was going out of contract.

When Alves was brought in Bates had played a handful of games.

It's circumstances.

It's poor management.

A good young Scottish player with his best years ahead of him, we should of extended his deal instead of bringing in Martin. Do we get a fee for Bates?

1 minute ago, pcbear said:

I see exactly wher you are coming from there but after Wilsons exit and Alves/Cardoso being shite  and Martin being shite but on loan, whats a few grand a week to sign up a proper defender who would make that back plus plenty when transferred if he never nailed a berth?

Every time someone goes out of contract we should only re-sign them if they improve us.

We have 4 CH slots, for me one should be a development player stepping up (Aidan Wilson). We need two more new better CHs. Leaves one slot. We are already paying contracted Alves and Cardoso.

Effectively you are wanting to spend any CH budget and slot on Bates, and give a new manager no flexibility at all.

I'm not saying he didn't do better than Alves and Cardoso. I'm saying the fact he's out of contract and they're not means it was the right thing to let him go.

3 minutes ago, five stars said:

It's poor management.

A good young Scottish player with his best years ahead of him, we should of extended his deal instead of bringing in Martin. Do we get a fee for Bates?

Martin will hopefully be away in the summer. When Bates contract also expires.

It's not a Martin/ Bates argument at all.

6 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We have Mccrorie and Widen Wilson as 4th choice CHs. Assuming we bring in 2 new CHs which are needed we will have those 2, Alves, Cardoso, Mccrorie and a youth development player in Wilson.

Also paying Bates 7k would be mental as a new signing.

Aidan Wilson is untried, Mcrorie is much better as a holding mid, 7k in the big picture is peanuts for the tried and tested.

7 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Aidan Wilson is untried, Mcrorie is much better as a holding mid, 7k in the big picture is peanuts for the tried and tested.

Wilson was tried and has been out on loan. Will possibly come back as the 4th choice. I'd agree Mccrorie is better in midfield but id imagine the club see him as CH.

7k isn't much but in reality it prevents us looking for new CHs as we'd be overloaded with shite, expensive, contracted ones. 

Or maybe if we sign Bates that's us completed and solved our CH issue for next season....?

Wilson was tried and has been out on loan. Will possibly come back as the 4th choice. I'd agree Mccrorie is better in midfield but id imagine the club see him as CH.

7k isn't much but in reality it prevents us looking for new CHs as we'd be overloaded with shite, expensive, contracted ones. 

Or maybe if we sign Bates that's us completed and solved our CH issue for next season....?

We are going round in circles here, I reckon it was daft to let him go you reckon it makes perfect sense, we will leave it at that.

42 minutes ago, Siwel said:

According to David Edgar that’s what he was offered it’s a disgrace tbh. Dunno where you’re getting the “not completed 20 games for us” he has played 17 times this season and 8 last season..

Yeah completed as in played 90 mins

12 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

If the club sees Mccrorie as a CB we’re fucked tbh he’s been awful there recently 

Just now, Siwel said:

Alves is on more and I’m pretty sure he’s completed less games than Bates

Alves has been a professional and played at the highest level for 20 years.

Bates hasn't completed 25 games.

Thats how a job works the more success and years practiced then the more wages you can command.

7 minutes ago, pcbear said:

We are going round in circles here, I reckon it was daft to let him go you reckon it makes perfect sense, we will leave it at that.

I think it would have made sense to keep him if circumstances allowed. They didn't.

We are paying an absolute fortune for poor players and unfortunately we can't afford to sign peripheral players too. We need to sign 1st Teamers of far better quality.

It's dead easy to say sign him, sell him, punt him, etc. But if a player is contracted it's far more difficult than just saying it.

And ultimately he's gone anyways to the German league on a good pay so it's all irrelevant. He's happy, we want better, good times ahead for him and us hopefully.