*****Official Rangers vs Shkupi match thread*****

New players still need time to gel and we were turgid going forward against a packed defence. The last two subs made a big difference by adding some creativity and plays we like to see. We wanted and expected more tonight but we didn't get it though if it had been 3-0 there would likely be much less moaning. However, 2-0 should be enough but overall only a 5/10 performance. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was disappointing tonight but sometimes I think the supporters create a very hard environment for our players to play , players play the easy 5 yard square ball with the thought well it’s no my fault now if it goes tits up , with our budget,  it’s not just a players ability that’s decreased from what we’re used to it’s mentality awareness the lot , these lads if two or 3 passes go astray and the fans lambast them haven’t got the mentality to keep going to receive the ball to try again , they hide and play it 5 yards square , we’re to quick to start the rumblings of discontent round the ground ,14 mins in tonight it started 

People have slated Tav for years for being good going forward but an absolutely terrible defender and constantly said about how a full backs job is to defend and yet after one competitive game people are already critcising Flanagan for offering no attacking threat even though he looked solid defensively. You honestly couldn’t make it up sometimes.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

People have slated Tav for years for being good going forward but an absolutely terrible defender and constantly said about how a full backs job is to defend and yet after one competitive game people are already critcising Flanagan for offering no attacking threat even though he looked solid defensively. You honestly couldn’t make it up sometimes.

Agreed. 

Although Flanagan and Murphy don’t work too well. Both cutting inside. 

Worked much better with Middleton out there. 

9 hours ago, Inigo said:

Can't see Gerrard being interested in having a fullback as physically small as DJ as first choice.

I thought Flanagan did well.

We have to remember as well for all of these players that it's a first game after very little pre-season action.

I’m hope there’s more from him once he’s played a few games 

9 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

He doesn’t really look like he has a footballers brain.

What was with running way out of position and halfing that guy from behind towards the end? Made no sense. Looked like he was lucky to not get booked from where I sit.

I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t a booking lol 

5 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Agreed. 

Although Flanagan and Murphy don’t work too well. Both cutting inside. 

Worked much better with Middleton out there. 

I was raging at Murphy continually cutting inside. Should have been stretching their defence. 

I was maybe caught up in all the hype but it was a less than stellar performance. Our front three should be subs at best

22 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

He was horribly out of position. So may gaps were left for the wee black left back to exploit.

I think the second leg will be better as they will have to come out and attack. Second half was poor last night but if we finished our chances and was 4 or 5 up no one would care. Finishing let us down last night but think the improvement is there to see especially from a defensive point of view as thought Goldson and Katic was decent and looked like they had been playing together for years.

In the cold light of day it was like the rerun of an old video only difference was we managed another goal which could be vital as that mob fancied themselves at times last night. The defence looked solid enough but the return tie should confirm that. First competitive game especially it being a European tie with so much at stake obviously hard for new players settling in to show promise but morelos and windass finishing says it all about them in front of a full house. SG's first game to assess them all I'm sure he'll see the problems.

4 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Our last title winning era consisted a more defensive minded full back in Papac on one side and then a more attacking full back on the other side in Hutton/Whittaker. 

Suited us at the time as the right sided attacking one could venture and Papac would almost become a third CB which left us more solid. 

Quite happy if Flanagan fills that role. 

Too many times over recent times we've been far too easy to counter attack when both full backs went forward and left our CBs vulnerable. 

14 hours ago, gsa said:

I think everyone is just deflated because they expected a total change from last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately too many players from previous regimes still on the pitch and one is even captain. Slightly worrying going forward. 

I'd almost managed to forget how much I dislike "Tav" and  "Josh". Murphy still manages to turn people inside out but isn't quick enough to get away and his crossing is abject. Ryan Jack should play for Nairn County. Kevin Thomson still talks about himself constantly when commentating. 

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Brilliant. Couldn't agree more. The only thing I would add is, El Petulant Buffalo is not the answer.

I see Osijek drew away to Petrocub and are favourites to progress. They look a tough side:

2017–18 UEFA Europa League:

QR1 UE Santa Coloma H 4–0 A 2–0 6–0

QR2 Luzern 2–0 1–2 3–2

QR3 PSV Eindhoven 1–0 1–0 2–0

PO Austria Wien 1–2 1–0 2–2 (a)

Am I right in thinking last night we never had one naturally left footed player in the starting XI? There’s pretty alarming and another testimony to our transfer policy thus far which leaves a bit to be desired in my eyes 

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Am I right in thinking last night we never had one naturally left footed player in the starting XI? There’s pretty alarming and another testimony to our transfer policy thus far which leaves a bit to be desired in my eyes 

yes. our right sided corners where pathetic. 

another argument for having john on instead of flanagan imo.

13 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

yes. our right sided corners where pathetic. 

another argument for having john on instead of flanagan imo.

I like Flanagan but I don't like players playing out of position. 

I'd honestly put Flanagan in ahead of Tav - he's never a captain.

Ideally we'd play a back 3 though and have a 4 or 5 man organised, tidy, overbaring midfield with balance.

Archived