Jump to content
rabc10000

Ibrox refurbishment, the next stage

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

The main stand? The main stand brickwork looks fine. It's clean and it's holding up well. 

The majority is mate, but there are small areas which look worn or unmaintained. I'm not sure what it is, it can be seen in the photo I took on Friday immediately above the entrance. There are several areas along the main stand which have this "damage" (for want of a better word). 

 

 

IMG_1641.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JM1872 said:

The majority is mate, but there are small areas which look worn or unmaintained. I'm not sure what it is, it can be seen in the photo I took on Friday immediately above the entrance. There are several areas along the main stand which have this "damage" (for want of a better word). 

 

 

IMG_1641.PNG

You mean the white stuff? That's just effloresence probably. It can be brushed off quite easily and isn't any threat to the brickwork.

No major work is needed to that facade for a good while. Just a few small jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JM1872 said:

Forget a new stadium. Ibrox is irreplaceable and iconic. A few refurbs here and there it will be restored. The inside, particularly the main stand, needs a lick of paint over the hand railings, steps etc. 

Noticed at the bury game the steps etc had all been pressure washed. It was looking manky towards he end of last season. It’s getting there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JM1872 said:

? It makes you wonder why the club didn't utilise the offer of supporters willing to help (can't recall the ins and outs of it). 

Believe the scheme was halted by an insurance issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a priority, but would love to see the seats replaced. Looks poor when the stadium is empty. Opportunity for more advertising too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billym27 said:

We could do with a larger capacity stadium. If we're cutting away allocation to a wee corner then we could go up to 60-65,000. Money's no there right now though and honestly I don't want them to change the stadium too much. Keep the same appearance but add an extra tier around broomloan/jardine/copland so that all 4 stands have 3 tiers. 

I'm no an architect so no got a scooby if it's possible or how much would be needed. Let's just focus on restoring the stadium. 

I'd rip the big screens out and fill they corners in with extra seats, it would pay for itself in no time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

King, Sir Minty and the Hairdo, slashed the budget for the upkeep of the stadium when they were here the last time and it was never put right  

So aye we can rip into him. 

He’s another a wouldn’t waste a post on,always get to try and get a snidey dug in about that place 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jakes Pal said:

I am sure that Glasgow City Council would be very keen to assist with any scheme to upgrade Edmiston Drive.

Said with tongue firmly inserted in the cheek I think.

The only thing the council would like to do would be to replace Ibrox with a chapel or mosque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

Said with tongue firmly inserted in the cheek I think.

The only thing the council would like to do would be to replace Ibrox with a chapel or mosque.

They (GCC) were only too happy to facilitate Ra Sellik Way, I cannot imagine why they would not be just as helpful to us with Edmiston Drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GlasgowsBlue said:

I'd rip the big screens out and fill they corners in with extra seats, it would pay for itself in no time

Structurally that is pretty difficult I'm sure, would cost top dollar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jakes Pal said:

They (GCC) were only too happy to facilitate Ra Sellik Way, I cannot imagine why they would not be just as helpful to us with Edmiston Drive.

I spent 20+ years working for the council, I can't imagine why they would help us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

I spent 20+ years working for the council, I can't imagine why they would help us.

They (GCC) would justify putting down solid gold paving slabs around the Piggery before spending a penny on the area around Ibrox.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No point explaining when there isn't a waiting list for season tickets. 

Spend the money on upgrading facilities that get fans to the ground earlier, get them spending and keep them there for longer afterwards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Skyson1872 said:

Structurally that is pretty difficult I'm sure, would cost top dollar. 

Would be worth it imo, we would always recoup the money anyway with extra ST sales and other tickets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

I am sure that Glasgow City Council would be very keen to assist with any scheme to upgrade Edmiston Drive.

They assist with the one grass keeper cutting the surrounding grass once a year

while the area around the  scumdome has a team of 20/30 preening away

Shower of corrupt bastards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Inigo said:

How the fuck did I miss it. Bloody telescope.

Rangers are not re-cladding the buxom lady at number 43, so your point your telescope in the wrong direction mate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

The Sandy Jardine Stand is completely overclad with a 40yr cladding warranty. The stands behind the goals are next along with the GRP sheeting on the sides. Undersides of all three stands will be done bit by bit in small stages 

Pity Fat Mike didnt feel like doing anything but let's keep ripping into King meantime ?

The original cladding on the Copland and Broomloan looks to be gray where as the Jardine was white. Do you know if the new Copland and Broomloan cladding will be white as well? 

Would look better in the aerial views if all the roofs matched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

any ideas on how much money all in would the club be looking at  for a FULL refurb of ibrox??  would it not make more sense to look at building a new 60k+ seater stadium???

Hell NO. We are not losing Ibrox for some breezeblock monstrosity. Leave that to the east end mob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

any ideas on how much money all in would the club be looking at  for a FULL refurb of ibrox??  would it not make more sense to look at building a new 60k+ seater stadium???

 

You're either at it or deliciously stupid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rabc10000 said:

not seen this posted yet so thought i would take the opportunity

 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2913662/ibrox-planning-permission-refurb-repairs-Rangers-council/

 

Rangers have been handed a boost after plans for the second stage of the Ibrox refurbishment were approved.

The recladding of external roofs on Gers‘ stadium’s Broomloan and Copland Road stands was given the go-ahead by Glasgow City Council chiefs on Friday.

KEITH CAMPBELL - THE SUN GLASGOW

2

Rangers chairman Dave King vowed to make Ibrox a stadium fans can be proud of

PA:PRESS ASSOCIATION

2

The planning application was submitted last December

The application was submitted on December 15 last year.

That came just two weeks after chairman Dave King admitted the club had spent a lot of money carrying out Ibrox repairs.

Speaking at the Gers AGM, King said: “A lot of the work we’ve done over the last couple of years has probably not rightly been termed ‘improvements’.

“I think what we’ve done is refurbishing and repairing a stadium that had become dilapidated to get it back to being fit for purpose and something Rangers supporters should be proud of.

I do wish DK wouldn't use words like "dilapidated". The stadium couldn't have been that bad as it wouldn't have received it's H&S certificate. Why doesn't he just say it's restoration work, as that is what's done on historic buildings of importance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Inigo said:

You mean the white stuff? That's just effloresence probably. It can be brushed off quite easily and isn't any threat to the brickwork.

No major work is needed to that facade for a good while. Just a few small jobs.

Aye mate that's it. It can be seen along the front at certain points. Probably not noticeable on the passing just when spending some time admiring.

Hopefully a small job as you say and hopefully addressed soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jakes Pal said:

They (GCC) were only too happy to facilitate Ra Sellik Way, I cannot imagine why they would not be just as helpful to us with Edmiston Drive.

Ra sellik way. Cringe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billym27 said:

We could do with a larger capacity stadium. If we're cutting away allocation to a wee corner then we could go up to 60-65,000. Money's no there right now though and honestly I don't want them to change the stadium too much. Keep the same appearance but add an extra tier around broomloan/jardine/copland so that all 4 stands have 3 tiers. 

I'm no an architect so no got a scooby if it's possible or how much would be needed. Let's just focus on restoring the stadium. 

Sounds brilliant. Extra tier stuff will just never happen though. Not sure i would personally like it either but it would be good for revenue obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×