Why hasn't Gerrard targeted a midfielder who can shoot?

the_r_sole

This has been a bugbear for a few seasons now, we don't have a midfielder who has good shooting ability from outside the box.

It lets team sit in against us all the time because they know we struggle to score from outside the box and has been obvious for a number of seasons - our build up is always pretty deliberate and when the opposition have 9/10 players sitting deep we really struggle, a goal threat from distance would draw teams out and leave gaps to play around. I had some hopes fro ojo and aribo but they don't seem convincing from distance either, jack, davis, kamara rarely trouble a keeper from distance.

It's going to cost us points again this season, there's little indication that we've got any new tools to break down teams not playing to win games

3 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Aribo scored one from outside the box and came very close a few times. Ojo scored from outside the box and came very close a few times.

Both new additions.

But they're not guys who get the head up and look to have a crack first, their first move is to look to see where a short pass can go, the opposition aren't scared to let them have a ping most of the time, they won't be thinking, we need to stop that ojo getting the ball 25-30 yards out

Just now, the_r_sole said:

But they're not guys who get the head up and look to have a crack first, their first move is to look to see where a short pass can go

I honestly think that's how we are told to play rather than people taking digs outside the box because we, for the most part, seem to look for the pass rather than shot from outside the box when attacking.

Just now, TheBluebells said:

I honestly think that's how we are told to play rather than people taking digs outside the box because we, for the most part, seem to look for the pass rather than shot from outside the box when attacking.

yeah, hard to know whether it's the way they are asked to play, or it's just the way that suits their abilities...

Thing is Gerrard was the absolute epitome of what we need, goal threat from anywhere and opposition players always scampering to get in front of him anywhere over the halfway!

1 minute ago, TheBluebells said:

We do take shots from outside the box and have even scored a few from it. We are perhaps guilty of trying to walk the ball in too much but as a whole I think we are mixing up our attack a helluva lot more than we did.

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

But I just gave you two examples of players shooting and scoring from outside the box. Isnt that what you said we were lacking? I dont think that its a problem that we have players who look around them and seek other options.. it shows awareness. I dont want players who just get the ball and twat it aimlessly at any given moment.

We lack a genuine goal threat from outside the box, the goals you are talking are technically outside the box but they are not the type of opportunities that you get in tight games with defences sitting right back...

Just now, the_r_sole said:

We lack a genuine goal threat from outside the box, the goals you are talking are technically outside the box but they are not the type of opportunities that you get in tight games with defences sitting right back...

They were games in the Europa League with teams sitting right back though...

Just now, johanhentze said:

They were games in the Europa League with teams sitting right back though...

Shite teams tho, if we could play that standard every week it wouldn't be an issue, it seems you are deliberately missing the point...

2 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Shite teams tho, if we could play that standard every week it wouldn't be an issue, it seems you are deliberately missing the point...

I am not deliberately missing the point.. we can only do it against teams that we are playing. You are constantly moving the goalposts here though. 1. not targeting players that can shoot and score from outside the box - gave you two examples. 2. Not in tight games where teams sit back - gave you examples. The season has just only started, so I cant really give you more examples but I am very sure that I will be able to when we have played more games🙂 

17 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

This has been a bugbear for a few seasons now, we don't have a midfielder who has good shooting ability from outside the box.

It lets team sit in against us all the time because they know we struggle to score from outside the box and has been obvious for a number of seasons - our build up is always pretty deliberate and when the opposition have 9/10 players sitting deep we really struggle, a goal threat from distance would draw teams out and leave gaps to play around. I had some hopes fro ojo and aribo but they don't seem convincing from distance either, jack, davis, kamara rarely trouble a keeper from distance.

It's going to cost us points again this season, there's little indication that we've got any new tools to break down teams not playing to win games

You don't think Ojo can shoot from distance? Well he has done already and with power. Granted he is not a midfield player.

Gerrard obviously doesn’t want us playing that way. His style of play is to copy Liverpool where the full backs are free to attack and the reliance on goals comes from the front three. Look at the lack of goals that Liverpool score from centre midfield and you can see that is a model he’s looking to replicate for us.

6 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Gerrard obviously doesn’t want us playing that way. His style of play is to copy Liverpool where the full backs are free to attack and the reliance on goals comes from the front three. Look at the lack of goals that Liverpool score from centre midfield and you can see that is a model he’s looking to replicate for us.

Been saying this in here for at least 8 or 9 months and is exactly why I don't think we will sign what many would class as an out and out amf or n10

3 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Been saying this in here for at least 8 or 9 months and is exactly why I don't think we will sign what many would class as an out and out amf or n10

You can see how Klopp has tried to evolve it a bit but signing Keïta and Oxlade Chamberlain but Keïta is taking time to settle and AOC is obviously coming back from injury.  

I think now we are into his second season Gerrard is looking to develop the team a bit in the same way with the addition of Aribo.

I also think it’s interesting that  Liverpool have Shaqiri on the bench who can come on and be that sort of x factor in any of the front positions or off the front for them if they are struggling and I think we’ve signed what is obviously a poundland version of him in Stewart to perform the exactly same role in the squad for us. 

Everything Gerrard does for us is inspired by what Liverpool are doing and that’s obviously because he wants that job in the future and if all goes well they have a succession plan in place for when Klopp leaves.

9 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

OP clearly hasn’t watched us since the end of last season when this was a real problem 

Aribo, Ojo, Jack, Halliday, Docherty and even Edmundson/Katic have been happy to have a crack from outside the box since the start of pre season 

As much as I love the player Ryan Jack, can we please no mention him in the shooting category from distance. He is really poor at it.

I predict Edmundson scores a screamer this year!

41 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

I am not deliberately missing the point.. we can only do it against teams that we are playing. You are constantly moving the goalposts here though. 1. not targeting players that can shoot and score from outside the box - gave you two examples. 2. Not in tight games where teams sit back - gave you examples. The season has just only started, so I cant really give you more examples but I am very sure that I will be able to when we have played more games🙂 

So you dont think it was very clear in the game against killie that we couldn't draw a team out because we dont have a goal threat outside of the box?

The killie game showed the same issue we suffered all last season and the season before, it just so happened that they were the best team defensively we've come up against so far and we offered nothing different to the problems which plagued us previously. 

We are more likely to play teams like killie most weeks than st Joseph's or progres... If you dont believe it's a problem in our team I think you're watching different games to me, maybe I'll be proved wrong by the end of the season but at the moment it looks very much like we will run out of ideas quickly against half decent defences