Gaffer doesn't like wearing a suit.

KingKirk

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always said that the manager should wear a suit. Sets him apart from the coaching staff, looks great and shit flickers were always the best for a lobbed through ball on the school playground.

Track'suits' don't look good on anyone over the age of 12, perhaps thats why Jimmy Saville loved them so much...the kids that is not the trackies.

Rangers have been a club that honoured tradition of being well dressed from the early days.

From Bill Struth to Jock Wallace, Graeme Souness and Walter Smith, players had to be well dressed and as late as the 1980s had to be clean shaven when arriving for training or match day. 

Slowly but surely the tradition of players being in collar and tie for every game have fallen away as club tracksuits become the norm.

It hasn't changed for the manager though and Steven Gerrard still wears a suit on match days. The club tie is out and the brown brogues are worn as the Liverpool legend prowls the touchline looking for more from his side.

But in an interview with BT Sport's 'What I Wore' programme, he admits it's a tradition that he isn't too keen on but will continue to honour it for as long as he is at the club.

There have been times where he has donned a tracksuit, but that has generally been in pre-season but even then there were murmurs from some supporters that he should have been in a suit then as well.

He said: "At Rangers there’s a tradition where you have to wear a suit. I’m not sure whether it would necessarily be my choice to be in a suit because I like being comfortable in a tracksuit so we’ll have to see moving forward what we decide.

"But with Rangers they like the manager to be in a suit, the club is very traditional and they like you to look smart and classy so that’s the reason why I wear a suit on the side.

"I’m enjoying it, the transition. You’re not going to be a good manager just because you’ve worn all these kits and you’ve been a player. You need to go back to the beginning and learn and do your badges, study the game from a different aspect. It’s something I’m learning on the job and I’m really enjoying the gig."

Rangers take on celtic in the Betfred Cup Final on Sunday and Gerrard insists the rivalry is as big as anything he's experienced.

And he remains focused on returning Rangers to the top of Scottish football by taking trophies back to Ibrox.

He added: "It’s up there with the biggest rivalries I’ve experienced. It’s aggressive up here. Two fantastic clubs, the two biggest clubs up here. When the Old Firms are coming about the build up is going to be really interesting.

"We’re doing everything we can to close the gap and try and challenge them and try our best to become number one again."

Archived