VAR

Essandoh

VAR  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Is VAR good for football?

I think it will be great to be honest.

There has been some reasonable criticism of it in England, but I think it is getting better.

It is a new technology, so I was never expecting them to get it perfect to start off with, but it is already on par with or even better than the old system.

Given some revisions over the next few seasons, I think it will be thought of as crazy to go back to not having it at the top level.

Neccessity in Scotland with all the corrupt referees around. 

I'd actually set a better standard with no ref, just VAR, and 2 five year olds to monitor it. 

Seriously, with the amount of money and fan interest in the big games, inaccurate and unprofessional decisions by referees are probably just unacceptable, too much at stake. 

I would however not have it outwith big European games and national Premier League games. 

Is it good for football in general ?  I think so,but needs to be consistently correct.

On 29/01/2020 at 10:49, Essandoh said:

This is the biggest thing for me.

Can you imagine we scored a last minute goal to win 55 and had to wait 5 minutes for a decision?

And then we won it................................would eclipse helicopter Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/01/2020 at 17:02, don logan said:

It needs to be refined then it will be good for correcting blatant offsides and hand balls that the officials inexplicably miss.

Totally agree, it doesn't need to be used for everything - just game changing situations.

Would it even be possible for each football team to have something like 5 requests to consult VAR per game?

It might make things more interesting as well, but I can already see the negative side of that being used in Scotland...

We're drawing away to St Mirren and the clock is ticking down while we're piling more and more pressure on them, then the St Mirren manager uses his 5 VAR calls to breakup play and the match comes to a close!

That's exactly what you'd expect from this footballing backwater.

As long as it used sensibly.... a minor foul 4 phases before a goal, when the defending team have had ample time to defend the situation, should not disallow a goal imo. Used for offsides (attacker should get benefit of the doubt)

goal line descisions

and serious foul play!! 

On 12/02/2020 at 18:54, Ramsay said:

Totally agree, it doesn't need to be used for everything - just game changing situations.

Would it even be possible for each football team to have something like 5 requests to consult VAR per game?

It might make things more interesting as well, but I can already see the negative side of that being used in Scotland...

We're drawing away to St Mirren and the clock is ticking down while we're piling more and more pressure on them, then the St Mirren manager uses his 5 VAR calls to breakup play and the match comes to a close!

That's exactly what you'd expect from this footballing backwater.

Shut up u mongo 

5 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

As long as it used sensibly.... a minor foul 4 phases before a goal, when the defending team have had ample time to defend the situation, should not disallow a goal imo. Used for offsides (attacker should get benefit of the doubt)

goal line descisions

and serious foul play!! 

Not only VAR is nonsense but the offside law too. I had no idea until this weekends latest VAR controversy that you could be offside if they ball was played backwards away from the opponents goal . How fucking ridiculous is that ?

There's teething problems just now but too many fans don't seem to understand that they're not going to change how it's used halfway through a season.  They have to complete the season before making changes so all the wailing, whining and greeting is pointless.  Not that it'll stop those whining cunts from whining.

Easy changes are ensuring the clear and obvious test is just that.  No slow motion rewinds from every angle. The ref or panel reviews each angle in real time and if they can't see a clear and obvious mistake they don't make a decision or change the refs decision.  That should reduce the time frame of VAR use to 10-15 seconds.

• 2 years later...

A couple of conflicting VAR decisions that I noticed watching the UCL highlights show this afternoon.  

RB Leipzig had a goal chopped for offside.   Their forward (in an offside position) did everything he could to duck out of the way of a shot that Hart had no chance of saving.  He's judged to have been active because he's in the keepers line of vision. Fair enough.

Napoli's equaliser in Amsterdam.  The cross comes in from the Napoli left, centre forward in a clearly offside position, dead centre of the box, jumps to header it but does to connect.  The cross ends up being turned in by the right side attacker, goal stands.  Surely he's active as the keepers attention is drawn to him attempting to connect with the cross?