Gerrard - What He's Done and What He Can Still Do

I am one Bear who is hoping to hell that Gerrard doesn't walk at the end of this season (or before).

If he does, I think we will lose ground and may even enter a period of several years where we are scrapping for 2nd with different run-of-the-mill managers. As it stands, the disappointment of this season is so great because we have actually been toe-to-toe with the scum, we've  surpassed them in Europe (with a more difficult route), and pretty much everyone in Scotland and beyond has stopped talking about "the gap" and now EXPECTS us to be challenging them for the league title. That was obviously NOT the case under Warburton and even less so under the sham that was Pedro.

The fact is that Gerrard has refreshed and added kudos to the Rangers brand (helping us financially), made us more attractive to players, and most importantly he has (until recently) given us back the genuine belief that we can again be the best team in the league. Gerrard coming into Rangers told the rest of Scottish football that the banter years were over and the lame cries of "you're not Rangers anymore" only served to highlight our detractors bitterness and low IQ (not to mention inferiority complex).

Up until January everything was going to plan. We had made clear progress last season and built on it this season. We could go up against the scum and fancy ourselves to turn them over. We were getting back to where we belong - on top.

On any other day (and with better refereeing) we would already have the League Cup under our belt. And if you want to talk about character, look at how the team bounced back from that disappointment to dominate them at the piggery. And look again to Europe and the way our team and our manager turned around a seemingly hopeless task to win against Braga with skill, flair and resilience both home and away.  

Yes, of course results and silverware are what matters for Rangers. But if we keep faith with Gerrard I personally believe they will come.

I believe Gerrard can get it right next season and bring us 55.

Even at his lowest ebb being interviewed on Saturday evening he conducted himself with class, took responsibility, and apologised to the fans who he said have been incredible from day one. It was obvious that he was genuinely devastated (for himself and for us). My reaction was to support him.

There is still a defiance and a pride to Gerrard as the Rangers manager. I believe that this is more than just a stepping stone to establish himself for the Liverpool job.  He appreciates our passion and unswerving loyalty to our club and he desperately wants to lead us back to the top.

I think we should show that same loyalty to him now.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sack him now because he lost to hearts, not because the players were fucking awful. Bringing on Ojo before Hagi was a bit weird but hey ho.

Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford so sometimes it is just a shit day.

The dip in form after the winter break is strange as it has happened two years in a row now, why not stop going to bloody Quatar!

3 hours ago, Malvern said:

Sack him now because he lost to hearts, not because the players were fucking awful. Bringing on Ojo before Hagi was a bit weird but hey ho.

Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford so sometimes it is just a shit day.

The dip in form after the winter break is strange as it has happened two years in a row now, why not stop going to bloody Quatar!

It’s strange how the it must be Dubai story gets any credence,We didn’t go to Dubai last year it was Tenerife 

If you want people to show loyalty then please explain why he continues to think Ojo can win him games? Its been 20+ matches now and he brought him on in a physical must win cup tie which was the last game you would want that dud playing in. If you can explain the thinking behind the madness then maybe I can understand and get behind a manager who thinks this is the way forward.

40 minutes ago, JograBear said:

If you want people to show loyalty then please explain why he continues to think Ojo can win him games? Its been 20+ matches now and he brought him on in a physical must win cup tie which was the last game you would want that dud playing in. If you can explain the thinking behind the madness then maybe I can understand and get behind a manager who thinks this is the way forward.

Agree terrible decision but I think the idea was because hearts played similar to braga (that they hold a high line and there is space in behind)

Ojo got some joy on Wednesday when he came on for last 15mins. That is all I can think of 

He has to improve and have a strong finish to the league he also has to show he has the ability to change shape and get more out the players, Gerrard's new to management and that is still obvious.

Has to show strength with players as well we have players going through the motions at times get the off the park if they are not working hard enough.

14 minutes ago, Smile said:

He has to improve and have a strong finish to the league he also has to show he has the ability to change shape and get more out the players, Gerrard's new to management and that is still obvious.

Has to show strength with players as well we have players going through the motions at times get the off the park if they are not working hard enough.

Do you really trust him to stop timothy's 10? 

OP does a good job summarising progress made under Gerrard. No doubt there has been a lot of it. However I think as long as he shows an unwillingness or inability to try something different to arrest the slide domestically he is putting himself under pressure. The prospect of a 3rd season of faith in the same core group of players playing the same system is what is concerning to a lot of people. Even TLB (who I dont think anyone would regard as a master tactician) has shown he can change their system with effective results which he has done since the break. Gerrard just does the same thing and asks for a 'performance' or a 'reaction' after every setback, he needs to show he is capable of more than that for me. 

I said all that last year.

Cut through the shit its really simple Gerrard needs to work out and fast why have we went from title favourites in January to season done first of March.

Can he take us where we want to go. Lets remember this man has never won a league title before he needs to prove he can deliver one.

Good Post from the OP.

Imho, The club as a whole need to regroup directors, manager, back room staff, players and fans. Yes we hurt but we need to stop listening to all the media hype that's ripping us apart, We need to demand parity for Rangers before next season starts, focus on our European games and the income that it brings, which could strengthen the team come summer.

Just now, Thermopylae said:

Take your point but is it just a hopeless situation then? Do we just have to keep digging in the hole because there's nobody else? 

No but I think hes brought us on so far in 18 months .. 

For talking sake say we win every game from now till seasons end and just lose out by the odd point and reach Europa league semi or final . That major progress .

If we crumble and lose more and more then he might just have to go but he must turn it round now 

Mad to think that two months ago we had just beaten them at Torbett Towers and not long before that we battered them in a cup final and here we are today knowing it’s another trophyless season. Spectacular collapse and our manager has been unable to adapt when things were going wrong. 

The fact that a guy like Ojo still comes of the bench before better players  in itself is alarming.

17 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

No but I think hes brought us on so far in 18 months .. 

For talking sake say we win every game from now till seasons end and just lose out by the odd point and reach Europa league semi or final . That major progress .

If we crumble and lose more and more then he might just have to go but he must turn it round now 

In European football yes but the league table doesn't look all that different and that's despite throwing an awful lot of money at it 

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Mad to think that two months ago we had just beaten them at Torbett Towers and not long before that we battered them in a cup final and here we are today knowing it’s another trophyless season. Spectacular collapse and our manager has been unable to adapt when things were going wrong. 

The fact that a guy like Ojo still comes of the bench before better players  in itself is alarming.

it’s the adaption to the Scottish game he’s not getting as it was proven against Braga that Ojo was the exact substitute for that game and Ojo excelled.

4 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

If gerrard goes who in reality can come in and take us forward ?? 

That's a fair point and I don't think anyone will suggest hes done a bad job. Hes given us respect back. We are a good team. 

How do we take the next step to become winners? We absolutely should have the league cup in the cabinet but we don't. Season is over and it March.

9 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

In theory we’re 3 points behind but a very difficult task to put that into practice.

The attitude stinks though I mean before Saturday we had dropped 5 points at tynecastle and yet half an hour into the game there was nothing happening ... it doesn't strike me that's there's much pride on display

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

In theory we’re 3 points behind but a very difficult task to put that into practice.

I think that's quite a stretch mate.

Getting to the point where we really need to see at least one convincing win domestically, to have any hope of ending the season well. 

3 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

it’s the adaption to the Scottish game he’s not getting as it was proven against Braga that Ojo was the exact substitute for that game and Ojo excelled.

That’s my point. We aren’t struggling in Europe because it’s actual football being played and that suits us.

The failure to adapt to the kick and rush hammer throwing shite in Scotland is the problem as it’s where we play.

Guys like Ojo are a waste of time as they are easily bullied up here. An empty shirt. 

Guys like Greg Docherty, Jamie Murphy and Ross McCrorie would have made a much better bench at Tynecastle than guys that aren’t up to the physicality up here. 👍

Archived