Lewis Macleod: 'rangers Left Me No Choice But To Leave...'

LeeWallaceRFC

• Lewis Macleod left Rangers for Championship play-off hopefuls Brentford.
  • Midfielder says Rangers did not try and keep him at the club.
  • Macleod said he wasn't eager to leave Ibrox but was left with no choice.
  • The 20-year-old would like to return to Rangers at some point in the future.
  • But is looking forward to the challenge of playing in the Championship.

Lewis Macleod insisted on Friday he would have been happy to stay at Rangers and only left for Brentford when it became clear the club weren’t trying to keep him.

The midfielder completed his cut-price £850,000 move last weekend as the crisis-hit Ibrox outfit cashed in on their prize asset.
Macleod, 20, has committed to the London side until 2018 but still had two-and-a-half years left on his deal in Govan and had been valued at more than double the fee he was sold for. With the Light Blues short of money and getting by on loans, they accepted the first bid that came in – and that told Macleod it was time to move on.
‘When you’re a Rangers fan, it’s hard to let go and I’ve never experienced anything else in football up to now,’ he said. ‘I definitely wasn’t eager to get out the door but when the opportunity came, with everything that was happening outside football at the club, I leant towards moving away.
‘It all happened very quickly. If things had maybe happened differently off the pitch with regards to the club trying to keep me when someone came in, I might have stayed. I didn’t have much time to process it but it’s done now and I’m looking forward to a different challenge.’
Macleod is adamant on-field results didn’t influence his decision, despite Rangers lagging 13 points behind Hearts and struggling in the fight to win promotion.
‘After a couple of defeats it was maybe the case that realistically we were starting to look more at the play-offs. Obviously you go out to win every game but we knew a couple of months ago it was going to be hard to win the league.
‘Hopefully Rangers get to the play-offs at least. If I’d still been there, they would have been good games for me to play in so none of that was a factor in trying to get out. Nothing on the playing side made me want to move but a different opportunity came up.’
Macleod is looking forward to life in the English Championship with promotion-chasing Brentford - albeit a hamstring injury has ruled him out of Saturday's visit of Rotherham - but admitted he’s already pining for a return to Rangers later in his career.
‘It’s exciting to be starting out with a new team but the surroundings here are nothing compared to Ibrox. You realise how massive Rangers are when you go elsewhere but there’s still a good atmosphere at Griffin Park.
‘I’ll be thinking about Rangers this weekend and hopefully they can get a win at Alloa. I looked out for their score last week as well when our match finished and I was pleased they beat Dumbarton.
‘I’m not really thinking about what I’ve walked away from. I’m just trying to look forward instead and it will be good to get started with Brentford when I’m fit again.
‘I’d love to go back to Rangers later in my career. The most disappointing thing about leaving is the way I went. I’ve been injured so I wasn’t able to play my last game knowing that would be the case and say goodbye to the fans.
‘I’d obviously like to be welcomed back at some point but I understand why some supporters might not appreciate my reasons for going.
‘Whenever I’m back up in Glasgow, I’ll try to get along to a few of the games. But I’d love to return to play for the club at some point, too, however many years down the line that is.’
Everton and Burnley were among Macleod’s suitors and would likely have paid more money. But the Bees moved first and, while Macleod couldn’t control what Rangers received, he was keen to join them because of how quickly opportunities to play might arise.
Under Mark Warburton and No2 David Weir, Brentford won automatic promotion from League One last season and are well placed to challenge for a second consecutive rise. They are keen for Macleod to play an integral part.
‘The one thing I’ve always said is if I was ever to leave Rangers, I wouldn’t go somewhere where I wouldn’t really play. I wanted to give myself the best chance of getting games and Brentford seemed the right option.
‘The club have come really far just this season alone and won a lot of games. They’ve got a new stadium to move into in two years as well and everything is going in the right direction.
‘I’m hoping to improve with playing at a higher level. That’s one of the main reasons I left Rangers. Working under the new manager and Davie, a lot of analysis goes on behind the scenes.
'It’s good for a young player to come in and see a different way of doing things.
‘Although we lost to Brighton last Saturday the boys were unlucky. I feel I can fit into the way they play.’
Macleod’s injury is short-term but he won’t rush back because he wants to be in the best condition possible to do himself justice.
His lay-off will also give him time to adapt to new surroundings he admits seem strange having been with Rangers since he was 10.
‘I’m not sure when I’m going to be back playing. It’s the type of injury that can take a bit of time to heal. But with me just getting started, I don’t want to rush back and get injured again.
‘Being about a different team will be weird but everyone’s welcomed me with open arms. That makes things a lot easier.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2904091/Lewis-Macleod-Rangers-left-no-choice-leave-club-love-didn-t-try-me.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry If I'm a complete idiot here but can someone post the exact part where he says Rangers left him no choice but to leave

‘It all happened very quickly. If things had maybe happened differently off the pitch with regards to the club trying to keep me when someone came in, I might have stayed. I didn’t have much time to process it but it’s done now and I’m looking forward to a different challenge.’

Of course we did, we apparently needed the money badly to keep going.

Very sad indeed, and I believe Lewis has his heart on his sleeve here and is genuinely upset at leaving us.

Good luck in your new career Lewis, all good Gers fans and those who appreciate players with a good and natural football ability will always respect having seen such a skilful and positive talent playing for us.

And even though the transfer fee may have been too low, it may well have helped us move forward in the bigger picture to come.

Sorry you seem to have misunderstood the question, I asked for the part where he said Rangers left him no choice. All you've posted is the club accepted an offer. Was he told he had to leave because we needed to money? What is he thinks could have been done at the time to prevent him leaving?

It's shit that he had to leave.

I wish him all the best and don't blame him one little bit. For all he knew, his sale was perhaps going towards saving the club. Although he doesn't really go into the financial goings on, you don't know how bad a picture was placed in his mind.

I'd welcome him back in a heartbeat. Hopefully we either get a good sell on fee or first option to buy him back.

It’s exciting to be starting out with a new team but the surroundings here are nothing compared to Ibrox. You realise how massive Rangers are when you go elsewhere but there’s still a good atmosphere at Griffin Park.

:lol: Pow.

Sorry you seem to have misunderstood the question, I asked for the part where he said Rangers left him no choice. All you've posted is the club accepted an offer. Was he told he had to leave because we needed to money? What is he thinks could have been done at the time to prevent him leaving?

Not sure where all of the hostility is coming from. Regardless, they could have and should have rejected the offer. £850,000 is not the value of our best player and biggest prospect.

Not sure where all of the hostility is coming from. Regardless, they could have and should have rejected the offer. £850,000 is not the value of our best player and biggest prospect.

What hostility? I'm pointing out that the young man's words are being twisted to have a kick at Rangers. Again. As HG5 points out above, there is a difference between being forced out and a club not doing enough to keep you. Lewis clearly sees the distinction based on the actual quotes.

Lewis should have felt wanted, our board and Manager are at blame for that. The board should have told him he's more valuable than £850,000 and our manager should have told him he was our best player and the team would be built around him.

The boy is a Rangers fan who wanted to do well for us, but like each and everyone of us got fed up with the shite on field and off.

I wish Lewis the best in his career and hope he goes all the way to the top. Then comes back to us :pipe:

He was the future, short term thinking by our board. Kept him a few years longer I am certain he would have blossomed into a fantastic footballer, worth a lot more than we got.

Agreed.

I had my hopes pinned on him making the grade with us.