Pedro vows to raise his game

Craigy

IT was Pedro in his Pomp.

All seemed lost as relegation from the Premiership stared him in the face.

But rising above the criticism and uncertainty one Portuguese midfielder refused to flinch.

Pedro Mendes will forever be remembered at Fratton Park as one of the key men in Portsmouth’s sensational last-gasp survival bid of 2005-06.

His goals and guile ensured the club retained their place at English football’s top table.

Fast forward three years and the Rangers star looks at the SPL title race with Celtic and believes it’s going to take the same spirit for success.

Mendes said: “The situation we find ourselves in now reminds me of the situation I was in with Portsmouth. It was the same.

“We had no margin for error at that time, it wasn’t there for us any more.

“I remember we played Villa away and lost 1-0. After that it was Man City at home and it was our last chance.

“If we didn’t win that match it would virtually have been all over for us. We desperately needed those three points so everyone pulled together.

“We put in a fantastic performance, won the match with a late goal and went on to finish comfortably. At Rangers at the moment it is exactly the same.

“We are in second place with nine games to go and I believe things are still in our hands. Like at Portsmouth that season, we need to maybe step up a level with our performances.

“If we can do that we can clinch the title.

“We had disappointments in that run-in — we lost to Charlton when everyone expected us to win — and that was a blow.

“But we did it and that showed me what is possible. You cannot just throw your hands in the air if you lose a match, you need to keep going.

“We scored against City two minutes over the 90. We need to keep going at Rangers and believe we can be champions.”

Mendes needs to do more than just believe.

His performances for Rangers in their last two games have been nowhere near good enough.

Against Celtic in the Co-operative Cup Final he allowed Scott Brown to dominate him, with the game passing him by. It wasn’t much better against Hearts on Saturday.

The persona Mendes’ radiates suggests he couldn’t care less either. But the Portuguese midfielder insists he is bubbling with ANGER deep inside.

He added: “The Final was like the last two games with Celtic. It wasn’t the best game with no pleasing football to watch.

“It was a disappointing game, with the most frustrating thing the fact we conceded a goal in the first minute of extra-time.

“That made everything difficult for us. Celtic scored and then just sat back and defended before scoring a second goal on the counter-attack.

“It was just a bad game to lose, for the fans, players and management.

“But sometimes games like that can help you because you can transform the frustration and the anger into something positive.

“We need to bring our anger into the remaining games in the league and the Scottish Cup semi-final. Then we need to become MORE angry to win.

“I think I can contain my emotions very well.

“But in the Final, after losing the game because we conceded a goal in the first minute of extra-time, I was filled with frustration. I had to stay calm and keep playing the game. It’s important to keep control and not to lose your head.

“I didn’t play well. In the first half an hour I barely touched the ball and I never really felt in the game.

“You get games like that and it leaves you frustrated as it was a final and you want to perform. The supporters have expectations of me now but that pleases me, I expect much from me also. It’s a two-way street.”

Despite his recent form Mendes has been one of the main men for Gers this season and is in the frame for the club’s Player of the Year award.

And however the season finishes he insists he is happy with his life in Scotland.

Rangers could be forced to invite offers for the midfielder in the summer but he would NOT welcome an early end to the three-year deal he signed last summer.

He added: “The situation the club is in is a board situation. The only thing I can say at the moment is that I am happy here.

“I am not thinking about anything else, only Rangers.

“Why would I want to leave? I enjoy the club and my family find it fantastic here in Glasgow. They have settled well and that is important to me.”

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But rising above the criticism and uncertainty one Portuguese midfielder refused to flinch.

Pedro Mendes will forever be remembered at Fratton Park as one of the key men in Portsmouth’s sensational last-gasp survival bid of 2005-06.

His goals and guile ensured the club retained their place at English football’s top table.

Fast forward three years and the Rangers star looks at the SPL title race with Celtic and believes it’s going to take the same spirit for success.

Mendes said: “The situation we find ourselves in now reminds me of the situation I was in with Portsmouth. It was the same.

“I remember we played Villa away and lost 1-0. After that it was Man City at home and it was our last chance.

“If we didn’t win that match it would virtually have been all over for us. We desperately needed those three points so everyone pulled together.

“We put in a fantastic performance, won the match with a late goal and went on to finish comfortably. At Rangers at the moment it is exactly the same.

“We are in second place with nine games to go and I believe things are still in our hands. Like at Portsmouth that season, we need to maybe step up a level with our performances.

“We had disappointments in that run-in — we lost to Charlton when everyone expected us to win — and that was a blow.

“But we did it and that showed me what is possible. You cannot just throw your hands in the air if you lose a match, you need to keep going.

“We scored against City two minutes over the 90. We need to keep going at Rangers and believe we can be champions.”

His performances for Rangers in their last two games have been nowhere near good enough.

Against Celtic in the Co-operative Cup Final he allowed Scott Brown to dominate him, with the game passing him by. It wasn’t much better against Hearts on Saturday.

The persona Mendes’ radiates suggests he couldn’t care less either. But the Portuguese midfielder insists he is bubbling with ANGER deep inside.

He added: “The Final was like the last two games with Celtic. It wasn’t the best game with no pleasing football to watch.

“It was a disappointing game, with the most frustrating thing the fact we conceded a goal in the first minute of extra-time.

“That made everything difficult for us. Celtic scored and then just sat back and defended before scoring a second goal on the counter-attack.

“But sometimes games like that can help you because you can transform the frustration and the anger into something positive.

“We need to bring our anger into the remaining games in the league and the Scottish Cup semi-final. Then we need to become MORE angry to win.

“But in the Final, after losing the game because we conceded a goal in the first minute of extra-time, I was filled with frustration. I had to stay calm and keep playing the game. It’s important to keep control and not to lose your head.

“I didn’t play well. In the first half an hour I barely touched the ball and I never really felt in the game.

“You get games like that and it leaves you frustrated as it was a final and you want to perform. The supporters have expectations of me now but that pleases me, I expect much from me also. It’s a two-way street.”

Despite his recent form Mendes has been one of the main men for Gers this season and is in the frame for the club’s Player of the Year award.

And however the season finishes he insists he is happy with his life in Scotland.

Rangers could be forced to invite offers for the midfielder in the summer but he would NOT welcome an early end to the three-year deal he signed last summer.

He added: “The situation the club is in is a board situation. The only thing I can say at the moment is that I am happy here.

“Why would I want to leave? I enjoy the club and my family find it fantastic here in Glasgow. They have settled well and that is important to me.”

when puffy chest goes to russia..and davis and thommo are beside him..he will be back..

I thought he was going to be well up for the final aswell after reading his interview before that about his previous cup final loss. Didnt do his talking on the park then, lets hope he can get back into top form for the rest of the season.

At least he admits that he isn't playing well.

And he's spot on about our non-existant margin of error and bringing in some 'anger' to the play.

I quite like Pedro's interviews, he's always incredibly honest and self-critical.

Why is it when Mendes comes out and admits he is playing poorly people say "Good on ya Pedro for telling the truth" yet when a few weeks ago Ferguson came out and admitted he had been playing poorly people said "You don't have to tell us Barry, We Know"

Why is Mendes allowed bad games and Ferguson isn't?

Why is Mendes classed as a hero when tbh he hasn't done much away from home apart from Celtic and Inverness.

Why when Ferguson was better then Mendes in the cup final was Ferguson getting all the abuse?

Why is it when Mendes comes out and admits he is playing poorly people say "Good on ya Pedro for telling the truth" yet when a few weeks ago Ferguson came out and admitted he had been playing poorly people said "You don't have to tell us Barry, We Know"

Why is Mendes classed as a hero when tbh he hasn't done much away from home apart from Celtic and Inverness.

Why when Ferguson was better then Mendes in the cup final was Ferguson getting all the abuse?

It annoys people when Fergie comes out greeting to the press about people moaning about him.

I also don't think he's very honest. Mendes comes out and says he didn't get near the ball in some games and he must improve, while Ferguson is saying he's close to his best.

If recent Fergie is back to near his best, he'd be as well giving up now. I KNOW that's not his best..

It annoys people when Fergie comes out greeting to the press about people moaning about him.

I also don't think he's very honest. Mendes comes out and says he didn't get near the ball in some games and he must improve, while Ferguson is saying he's close to his best.

If recent Fergie is back to near his best, he'd be as well giving up now. I KNOW that's not his best..

That only really answered one of my questions

Ok.

I've seen countless criticisms of Mendes on RM over the past few weeks. No-one's blind to his slump in form, so that's that question answered.

Is he classed as a hero? I wouldn't say so. Give me proof of anyone on here that thinks Mendes is more 'heroic' than Ferguson, I certainly don't think he is. Barry was world-class before he left for Blackburn and I'll never forget that.

And they were both shite in the cup final, and were criticised equally.

The vitrol he recieves compared Ferguson is light years apart..........both have not been doing enough

Absolutely, but people expect more of Ferguson.

Why is that? I'll hand that one over to you General, really hard to put the finger on it.

The vitrol he recieves compared Ferguson is light years apart..........both have not been doing enough

Why is that? I'll hand that one over to you General, really hard to put the finger on it.

Some hold grudges from when he went to blackburn, some hold grudges over le guen......he is the most abused player in our team (in online terms) by some distance......

Although I am always happy when the match going public restore my faith now and again......

when puffy chest goes to russia..and davis and thommo are beside him..he will be back..

Exactly, I believe Mendes can do much better, but not with Ferguson next to him.

Mendes plays best as the creative attacking midfielder.

Ferguson played his best as a holding midfielder with Advocaat.

Walter seems to see it the other way round and it is not helping either player.

How fucking obvious is that - how the hell can that not be addressed by smith/mccoist!!

Some hold grudges from when he went to blackburn, some hold grudges over le guen......he is the most abused player in our team (in online terms) by some distance......

Although I am always happy when the match going public restore my faith now and again......

Thats what I posted on another thread. Yes he stil gets abuse (from me included) on a matchday if he isn't pulling his weight or fucks up stuff but never near as much abuse as he gets on here.

In fairness barry and lee played deep and mendes was pushed forward which didnt work, i think mendes is at his best when he comes deep and starts moves, seeing plenty of the ball. This might be difficult with barry demanding so much of the ball mind you.

I dont see why one has to be attack minded and the other defensively so. Surely through plenty of training and games they should have an understanding where they can both go forward as long as the other covers which wouldn't be quite so easy for the opposition to read.

Dualing pistons if you will

Maybe the reason Mendes is getting less criticism is because he's had more than 2 half decent games this season. Without him we'd be nowhere near as close to the top of the league as we are. Can the same be said of Ferguson so far this season? I don't think it can. Also Mendes doesn't make self pitying comments like 'I've been picking knives out of my back'.

I do agree that the personal insults levelled at Ferguson are over the top, and uncalled for. Same goes for any Rangers player.

Except Miller.

More than Boyd?????

In fairness barry and lee played deep and mendes was pushed forward which didnt work, i think mendes is at his best when he comes deep and starts moves, seeing plenty of the ball. This might be difficult with barry demanding so much of the ball mind you.

I dont see why one has to be attack minded and the other defensively so. Surely through plenty of training and games they should have an understanding where they can both go forward as long as the other covers which wouldn't be quite so easy for the opposition to read.

Dualing pistons if you will

Yes that would a sensible option and good players would do this, similar to midfielders covering when their full back goes forward. My impression with our club is that flexibility and initiative seem to be frowned on and each role is predetermined and set down on paper by the stooges. This would appear to be the reason that the favoured 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 system do not really work properly for us.