CL Group stage seedings

Most bears will know by now that we are seeded 19th for the CL group stages at the moment, which puts us 3rd in pot 3.

There are 5 teams ahead of us in the rankings whose places are not yet assured as they have to come through the qualifiers.

Arsenal and Lyon are straight into round 4 of the qualifiers and therefore have not started yet, and must be seen as huge favourites to progress anyway no matter who they face in round 4 (even Dinamo Moscow might struggle against them!!).

The other 3 teams that have still to qualify to take their place in the group stages above us were in action over the last couple of nights in the 3rd round 1st leg.

Shakhtar Donetsk, after winning the UEFA Cup last season were heavily fancied against Romanian runners-up Timisoara, but were twice a goal down at home before equalising 4 minutes from time for a 2-2 draw and will have it all to do to reach QR4.

Sporting Lisbon only managed a goalless draw at home against Dutch side Twente, and again have a real fight to progress.

The third side ahead of us in the rankings are Panathanaikos, who lost 3-1 away to Sparta Prague in the first leg, and must be long odds to progress.

Unbelievably, if all 3 sides fail to make it through, we will be promoted to pot 2 alongside Inter Milan and Real Madrid amongst others.

Even if all 3 do not fall at this hurdle, they have another round to face before taking their place in the group stages. All 3 are due to be seeded for the 4th round, but there are some tasty unseeded sides in their like Atletico Madrid, Fiorentina and Stuttgart, all of whom will make things difficult for this trio to overcome.

As if the events at the piggery were not good enough for one night's entertainment, the results elsewhere were just as pleasant from a bears point of view.

Interesting reading, to be honest I don't think it will make that much difference all teams will be difficult never mind what pot we find ourselves in.

I agree there is no easy games !!

I would fancy our chances of progression if we were to make Pot 2.

I always fancy our chances until we start playing!!

We can do it cmon the gers :gerbad:

God, sneaking into pot 2 would be amazing. We'd avoid some great teams. Can't understand why people think it wouldn't make any difference. <cr>

would make a world of difference, can anyone remember the last time we were in pot 2?

I don't mind which pot we are in as lets be honest it aint the Champions League it's the English Cup of Europe !!!

Anyway surely it's the glamour ties with the likes of Real Madrid and teams like this that make European nights at Ibrox special !!!

God, sneaking into pot 2 would be amazing. We'd avoid some great teams. Can't understand why people think it wouldn't make any difference. <cr>

would make a world of difference, can anyone remember the last time we were in pot 2?

Don't know mate, were we ever in pot 2 in the 90's?

*hands over to someone who knows more about it*

FC Barcelona Olympique Lyon *4

Liverpool Internazionale

Chelsea Real Madrid

Manchester United Shakhtar Donetsk *3

AC Milan CSKA Moscow

Arsenal *4 FC Porto

Sevilla Sporting CP Lisbon *3

Bayern München AZ Alkmaar

Pot 3 Pot 4 ------------------------ --- ---------------- ------------------------ --- ----------------

Juventus FC København **

Panathinaikos *3 Slavia Praha *3

Glasgow Rangers Levski Sofia **

Olympiakos Piraeus *3 Partizan Belgrade **

Olympique Marseille VfL Wolfsburg

Dinamo Kiev Standard Liège

Girondins Bordeaux Rubin Kazan

Besiktas Unirea Urziceni

Nice, that formats really well! :lol:

i personally cant remember us being there

i personally cant remember us being there

Fuck sake, where are all the stattos when you need them? Normally can't move for anoraks in here! :D