The Dundee Utd Chairman retorts at Bain over rearranged game!

Boab

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson has been angered by comments made by Rangers' Martin Bain in the row over admission for a rearranged fixture.

United are charging half-price on 15 December following the abandonment of the clubs' meeting on 1 November.

The Ibrox chief executive was quoted saying he was "disgusted and angry at the attitude of Dundee United".

And a furious Thompson told BBC Scotland: "I think Martin's behaviour has been disgraceful."

The visitors were leading the Premier League match 1-0 at half-time when referee Mike Tumelty called a halt to proceedings due to a waterlogged pitch.

Thompson insisted fans were never told their original ticket stubs would be valid for the replay and reduced pricing for the rescheduled match was a fair reflection of the operational costs incurred by the Tayside club.

In response, Rangers released a statement expressing their disappointment at the decision.

At Rangers annual meeting on Monday, Bain was quizzed by shareholders about the on-going squabble.

"We did take up the fight because I was disgusted and angry at the attitude of Dundee United," was his reported response.

"The game was called off at half-time and I was standing beside the chief executive of the Scottish Premier League (Neil Doncaster) and the chairman of Dundee United (Thompson) and I said to them at that time, 'I hope that you will see sense and make sure that our supporters retain their ticket stubs and get back in for nothing'."

However, Thompson denies that Bain ever said this in his company.

"It is interesting that Martin Bain was disgusted and annoyed with Dundee United over tickets but never used such strong language after Manchester or Bucharest about his own fans," added the United chairman in reference to crowd disturbances involving followers of Rangers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/8404360.stm

Bain responds: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=3954991

Thompson says any profits will go to charity: http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...t&p=3957695

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson has been angered by comments made by Rangers' Martin Bain in the row over admission for a rearranged fixture.

United are charging half-price on 15 December following the abandonment of the clubs' meeting on 1 November.

The Ibrox chief executive was quoted saying he was "disgusted and angry at the attitude of Dundee United".

And a furious Thompson told BBC Scotland: "I think Martin's behaviour has been disgraceful."

The visitors were leading the Premier League match 1-0 at half-time when referee Mike Tumelty called a halt to proceedings due to a waterlogged pitch.

Thompson insisted fans were never told their original ticket stubs would be valid for the replay and reduced pricing for the rescheduled match was a fair reflection of the operational costs incurred by the Tayside club.

In response, Rangers released a statement expressing their disappointment at the decision.

At Rangers annual meeting on Monday, Bain was quizzed by shareholders about the on-going squabble.

"We did take up the fight because I was disgusted and angry at the attitude of Dundee United," was his reported response.

"The game was called off at half-time and I was standing beside the chief executive of the Scottish Premier League (Neil Doncaster) and the chairman of Dundee United (Thompson) and I said to them at that time, 'I hope that you will see sense and make sure that our supporters retain their ticket stubs and get back in for nothing'."

"It is interesting that Martin Bain was disgusted and annoyed with Dundee United over tickets but never used such strong language after Manchester or Bucharest about his own fans," added the United chairman in reference to crowd disturbances involving followers of Rangers.

Always got to get a fucking dig in don't they

What a load of shite by Thompson, firstly Bain did criticise elements of our support and if Thompson had viewed the evidence they would have seen the circumstances that our fans were put into which was a factor to the situation.

Secondly it's a totally different fucking situation and if it had been the other way round then we wouldn't have demanded money of their fans.

Pretty shocking that he has a go about the behaviour of our fans at venues that didn't concern him. If it had been against them then he'd be able to do so.

Usually clubs refrain from talking about others in issues that is of no concern to them. Petty little man in charge of a dour club in possibly the most depressing "city" in the UK.

Very petty.

I know a few Dundee Utd supporters and they are all ashamed of their clubs tightb fisted attitude.

Let's just hope we fuck them in the replay and teach their board of directors a lesson.

The Rangers support and Club should have a boycott of the game and the next one at Tannadice. Lets see how Thomson likes it being a six figure sum down in takings.

I would be against that mate.

A poor away support might motivate them to play better.

Why penalise our players on the day? Our away support can be like an extra man.

Stephen Thompson is a complete a c*nt, and the majority of Dundee United fans dislike him.

Although, what's the bet Thompson and Levein use this to lift their players even more next week!

If Wattie's multi-million pound, millionnaire players cannot beat Dundee Hibernian without an away support then there is little hope for us.

I'd like to see us flex our muscles a little bit. We have a lot more power than people think.

If Wattie's multi-million pound, millionnaire players cannot beat Dundee Hibernian without an away support then there is little hope for us.

I'd like to see us flex our muscles a little bit. We have a lot more power than people think.

We're a football team, who should be concerned with flexing our muscles on the park, and supporters who should be the 12th man, not worrying about the finances of pishy provincial clubs.

Rangers MUST win that match, and we should be there as supporters roaring the Champions on not handicapping them by not turning up!!! :rangers:

Always got to get a fucking dig in don't they

exactly that made me mad :mad:

His ground should be boycotted, i wouldn't give that fanny another penny.

Not turning up to an away match is a pish way to land a blow on the opposition team, let alone a manner in which to support your own team.

Follow Follow we will follow Rangers

Everywhere, anywhere, unless-we're-ripped-off-for-an-abandoned gaaaame!

Dundee hamilton....