Smith confirms Bougherra is 'unavailable' for Old Firm clash

zamba

Dec 26 2009 By Greig Thomas

RANGERS star Madjid Bougherra WILL be allowed to play in the Old Firm clash, thanks to Algeria returning a favour to the Ibrox club.

Bougherra and Ibrox boss Walter Smith had resigned themselves to the defender's last game before the African Cup of Nations being tomorrow's clash with Hibs, to enable the player to attend Algeria's training camp.

However, reports from Bougherra's country indicated their FA have relented and will allow Bougherra to play in the January 3 showdown at Parkhead and travel to the French camp after the game.

And it's all because of a favour Rangers did for the African nation last month. The Algerian FA requested to be allowed to treat Bougherra's knee injury at a private clinic in France in a bid to get the defender fit for their World Cup qualifier in Egypt.

Rangers could have refused and insisted the player was attended to by their medics. But Algeria got their wish, Bougherra played in that game and subsequent World Cup play-off and Algeria qualified for the first time in 24 years.

The Ibrox club asked the Algerian FAto allow Bougherra to face Celtic even though FIFA rules dictate Rangers would have had to release the player due to the 14-day rule to prepare for a tournament.

However, although the African country's FA have yet to release official confirmation, reports in Algeria quoted sources stating Bougherra will join the training camp after the Old Firm match.

http://www.<No links to this website>/2009/12/26/ra...86908-21923085/

wooooooooooooo :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise: :praise:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According 2 what's written in 2day's sports newspapers in Algeria, bougherra decided 2 join the squad on 2nd Jan.

the squad started 2day, and bougie said earlier that he got the permission 2 join his national team-mates after rangers match against Hibernian FC. However, he knew that the national coach will give a 3-day break for the New Year starting from the night of 29th Dec, to the morning of 2nd Jan. Therefore, bougie decided 2 stay in Scotland 2 play the match against Dundee United FC on the 30th Dec, and then he'll leave 2 visit his family & join the squad.

boogie also asked the national coach Rabeh Saadane 2 allow him 2 play the derby, but he refused.

This is all what's been in the talk in Algeria 2day, no talk about the celtic match!

The Ibrox club asked the Algerian FAto allow Bougherra to face Celtic even though FIFA rules dictate Rangers would have had to release the player due to the 14-day rule to prepare for a tournament.

However, although the African country's FA have yet to release official confirmation, reports in Algeria quoted sources stating Bougherra will join the training camp after the Old Firm match.

Sounds like they are going by that article we already knew about... We will just have to wait and see

I hope he can play but if he can't tough shit. We should be going into this game with the tims scared of us and not the other way about!

(tu)

I would have no qualms if we started with Weir and Wilson at the back

I Would they were at the back when that amateur team aberdeen beat us

boogie plays and we wont get beat

I hope he can play but if he can't tough shit. We should be going into this game with the tims scared of us and not the other way about!

(tu)

And what about the several other games in which they played well together?

I want Bougherra to play, but whether that happens is still up in the air, and if he ends up not playing, we have adequate cover.

(tu)

And what about the several other games in which they played well together?

I want Bougherra to play, but whether that happens is still up in the air, and if he ends up not playing, we have adequate cover.

I don't think it's a case of "who cares" if he plays we WILL have a much better chance of winning - no doubt about.

So I for one hope this story is true.

TBH Im not really fussed about Boogie playing or not, cos our midfield is alot better and our striker(s) will defo cause them problems especially Miller who will run at both Caldwell and Loovens. Nguemo aint playing for them so Davis and EDU/Mcculloch/Thompson will win everything in the middle against Cross-arse and whoever. Broadfoot and Novo (on the right-Papac and DMB on the left) will keep Mcgready and what ever else shower of shite they play, out of the game, Mcgregor will stop anything that Mcdonner-kebab and Sams-an-arse get on target out! Fukin easy peasy! We'll be 7 points clear come 5pm on the 3rd Jan!

I reckon this is more rubbish from the Daily Rectum and Boogie won't play.

Sadly.

aint just daily record other papers got it to not saying it will defo happen dont trust what i read in any papers

it would be a real boost if he was available though