Golf

kplfishtank

4 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Keep your head down and look at the ball mate. You could be coming up to see the shot before you’ve hit it. Just stay focused on hitting it. You can look after the ball is gone. 

I do that, the problems seems to be I’m crouching down on my backswing then when I start my downswing I come back up slightly, not sure if longer irons would help or if it’s something I’ve just got to work through?

33 minutes ago, Professor_Chang said:

So on top of the standard fee for irons etc.  Say Taylor Mad Sims are about 650 if they were custom fitted I was wondering how much extra

A lot of places will refund the price of the fitting against the purchase mate.   If you wanted to just get fitted and then buy elsewhere you will probably pay anything between £40 - £150 depending on where you go.  Obviously the more you want fitted for, the more it would be.  If it's just irons I would reckon 40 - 60 quid for an hours fitting session.

Ideally you want it to come out 'standard' and then pick up a bargain online.  :dance:

Just now, Bristol loyal said:

Looking for a bit of advice. 

Started playing golf since lockdown and really got the bug, bought a cheap set of clubs off eBay. Been having lessons and been told by the coach that they’re too small, and to be honest I can feel I’m crouching over a lot and topping the ball with a lot of my shots with my irons. I’ve been looking for a second hand set that fit me better but being left handed and looking for a specific size I’m finding it impossible to find what I need.

Should I just buy some new decent ones that will be expensive but hopefully improve my issues, or for my ability (im terrible atm) am I better off waiting and using my current clubs/ keep looking for cheaper second hand ones until I’m better and can get the most out of them for the outlay?

Do you know what it is you need?  1 inch longer for example?  Cheap fitting session at somewhere like American Golf might be worthwhile for you.  As said in my post above its about £40 for an hour. 

Hard for me to answer the question about getting fitted for a new set as I've never done it.  I'm lucky to be fairly standard for everything though. 

5 minutes ago, Heatseeker said:

Do you know what it is you need?  1 inch longer for example?  Cheap fitting session at somewhere like American Golf might be worthwhile for you.  As said in my post above its about £40 for an hour. 

Hard for me to answer the question about getting fitted for a new set as I've never done it.  I'm lucky to be fairly standard for everything though. 

I’ve been told I need 1 inch longer and 2 degree more upright, im 6ft 3. 

Is it something that would make much difference when learning the game?

1 hour ago, Bristol loyal said:

Yes.

As far as i'm aware standard length clubs are for 5ft 9" golfers. So the lie angle is relative to the length in so much as if you were 6ft you could probably adjust a standard length set of clubs to be 1 or 2 degree more upright and end up standing a little closer to the ball, just as if you were only 5ft 4 you could go the other way and go 1 or 2 degrees lower and end up being slightly further away from the ball. Both would affect your angle of attack.

Try ebay again as anyone selling a longer set will more often than not mention that. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-INCH-LONGER-callaway-big-bertha-irons-4-SW/373232751767?hash=item56e667d497:g:ssQAAOSw31JfbJYk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mizuno-MP-20-Blade-Irons-1-5-Inch-Longer-Tour-Ad-65-Stiff-Graphite-3-9pw/184462675747?hash=item2af2d50f23:g:iboAAOSwt8NfbjFW

2 hours ago, Professor_Chang said:

So on top of the standard fee for irons etc.  Say Taylor Mad Sims are about 650 if they were custom fitted I was wondering how much extra

Most places will do if you buy the clubs they will waive the custom fit fee never heard of a company not doing it. 

15 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

I do that, the problems seems to be I’m crouching down on my backswing then when I start my downswing I come back up slightly, not sure if longer irons would help or if it’s something I’ve just got to work through?

Get lessons from a good pro, the guy at Knowle is supposed to be good, plenty of Rangers Fans at that club as well.😀

Played today was going OK till I shanked a wedge on 14, did it on 15 too. Played a few extra shots and shanked every one.

Never happened before I just couldn't do it. Anyone experienced similar? I honestly thought it was a myth/joke before 

2 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Played today was going OK till I shanked a wedge on 14, did it on 15 too. Played a few extra shots and shanked every one.

Never happened before I just couldn't do it. Anyone experienced similar? I honestly thought it was a myth/joke before 

I went close to 4 years on and off shanking the ball.....just came outta nowhere one day....I could go 3 months of ok then bang it could return....worst feeling in golf when you nail a drive then shank an 8 iron into the shite😡

6 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Anyone watching the Scottish open? Conditions terrible 

Yeah, cracking course as well, played it around 5 years ago, very tough, the skill of pros to go round it, 1000 yards further back under par is phenomenal 

I've been hitting quite heavy fades to wild slices with my driver recently, so watched a few Rick Shiels videos, changed my grip and set up, and went to the range a few times to practice. I was hitting it really well at the range; straight and long. Played Hollandbush this week and sliced all but 3 drives. I also need to sort out the height I'm throwing it into the air because my drive is ridiculously high and I'm probably losing anywhere between 15 - 25 yards because of it. 

I have my first lesson on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

On 01/10/2020 at 20:35, Bristol loyal said:

On 01/10/2020 at 21:39, mclovin9091 said:

Yes.

As far as i'm aware standard length clubs are for 5ft 9" golfers. So the lie angle is relative to the length in so much as if you were 6ft you could probably adjust a standard length set of clubs to be 1 or 2 degree more upright and end up standing a little closer to the ball, just as if you were only 5ft 4 you could go the other way and go 1 or 2 degrees lower and end up being slightly further away from the ball. Both would affect your angle of attack.

Try ebay again as anyone selling a longer set will more often than not mention that. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-INCH-LONGER-callaway-big-bertha-irons-4-SW/373232751767?hash=item56e667d497:g:ssQAAOSw31JfbJYk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mizuno-MP-20-Blade-Irons-1-5-Inch-Longer-Tour-Ad-65-Stiff-Graphite-3-9pw/184462675747?hash=item2af2d50f23:g:iboAAOSwt8NfbjFW

Apologies for the delay in replying

This is good advice although, personally, I don't think he should be worrying too much about getting the lie of the clubs adjusted at this stage.  

BL - Definitely get the length that suits you, as has been pointed out you will pick up longer clubs on ebay, Gumtree or the golf selling pages on FB.  From there I'd be looking to go for a few lessons before fannying about with the lie of the clubs as you could end up needing to adjust them again. 

On 02/10/2020 at 21:27, MacBoyd said:

Suffered this on and off a few years back.  What worked for me was trying to understand what a shank was.  I had always assumed (like alot of people) that it was coming off the toe of the club. 

14 hours ago, SkylineBlue said:

I've been hitting quite heavy fades to wild slices with my driver recently, so watched a few Rick Shiels videos, changed my grip and set up, and went to the range a few times to practice. I was hitting it really well at the range; straight and long. Played Hollandbush this week and sliced all but 3 drives. I also need to sort out the height I'm throwing it into the air because my drive is ridiculously high and I'm probably losing anywhere between 15 - 25 yards because of it. 

I have my first lesson on Saturday. Really looking forward to it.

Do you have a driver where you can adjust the head for the degree? 

10 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Do you have a driver where you can adjust the head for the degree? 

No, currently playing with an offset, 9.5 degree Cobra. It has to be my swing and the way I'm attacking the ball because I couldn't get this height with a lob wedge if I tried. Its honestly mental. I assume I'm hitting too far under the ball but I'm generally driving somewhere between 215 - 230 even with this height, so my hope is that, if I can reduce the height, I can get some more yardage on my drive.

40 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

No, currently playing with an offset, 9.5 degree Cobra. It has to be my swing and the way I'm attacking the ball because I couldn't get this height with a lob wedge if I tried. Its honestly mental. I assume I'm hitting too far under the ball but I'm generally driving somewhere between 215 - 230 even with this height, so my hope is that, if I can reduce the height, I can get some more yardage on my drive.

Try moving your stance back a little. I don’t mean away from the ball. More behind it. 

On 05/10/2020 at 13:38, SkylineBlue said:

An offset head is designed to get the ball in the air, if you have tweaked things it might be a different driver you need