Rangers linked with various players...

fraser77

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1267615/Rangers-boss-Walter-Smith-chasing-United-starlet-David-Goodwillie.html?ITO=1490

Rangers boss Walter Smith chasing United starlet David Goodwillie

By Peter Jardine Last updated at 12:16 AM on 21st April 2010

* Comments (0)

* Add to My Stories

Rangers have put Dundee United striker David Goodwillie on their transfer radar - in the hope a £15million automatic place in the Champions League will end their spending freeze.

Manager Walter Smith has been unable to sign a player on a permanent basis for two years while the club remains in heavy debt and takeover limbo, with French loan recruit Jerome Rothen the sole arrival.

walter smith

Winning smiles: Walter Smith and David Goodwillie

With forwards Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo among six potential Bosman departures, however, the Ibrox management are duty-bound to carry on scouting fresh talent.

And Sportsmail understands that Clydesdale Bank Young Player of the Season Goodwillie has caught the eye, along with Tannadice team-mate Craig Conway.

Goodwillie, who has scored 12 goals for United in a breakthrough campaign, is under contract until 2012, while Conway's deal runs until 2011, so both would command a fee if Rangers made a move.

Middlesbrough boss Gordon Strachan has also been tracking wide midfielder Conway, who was capped for Scotland in Japan when George Burley was manager. Boro scout Gordon McQueen watched the 24-year-old score in last Sunday's 3-2 win over Motherwell at Fir Park.

Goodwillie, 21, picked up his Clydesdale Bank award on Monday evening and has also been shortlisted for the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year award.

Rangers boss Smith spoke earlier this week about how the Ibrox club are keeping tabs on a number of players as they plan for the future.

However, it remains unclear what level of player Rangers might be able to buy if the club is sold - or owner Sir David Murray remains in situ.

'We do still watch transfer targets,' said Smith, who was named Manager of the Season on the night Goodwillie picked up his award. 'Our scouting budget was cut quite dramatically but you do keep looking.

'The difficulty is you do not know what market you are working in.

'I retain an interest and we have been active in that department.

'We put the knowledge together hoping that, one day, it will be useful. It is hard because we don't know what level we might be able to bring someone in from.

'That is one of the main problems we have at Rangers at the moment in terms of forward planning. I can sit down and put together a pre-season schedule but I can't plan for buying someone if I don't know if the finance is there for it.'

would love us to have the funds for thoose 2

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would take both of them.

Where does it actually say we are after them though?

Rangers have put Dundee United striker David Goodwillie on their transfer radar - in the hope a £15million automatic place in the Champions League will end their spending freeze.

Manager Walter Smith has been unable to sign a player on a permanent basis for two years while the club remains in heavy debt and takeover limbo, with French loan recruit Jerome Rothen the sole arrival.

walter smith

Winning smiles: Walter Smith and David Goodwillie

With forwards Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo among six potential Bosman departures, however, the Ibrox management are duty-bound to carry on scouting fresh talent.

And Sportsmail understands that Clydesdale Bank Young Player of the Season Goodwillie has caught the eye, along with Tannadice team-mate Craig Conway.

Would take both of them.

Suppose this is it mate..

Not exactly serious.. but anyway, as Walter says.. he's always looking and the 'level' it seems is Dundee UTD? Nothing against Goodwillie btw.. Think he's a quality player. But.. as always, can he play for The Rangers - as Mr. Struth said.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

It's exciting being linked with new players :lol:

Conway always gives us problems, but how consistent is he?

Goodwillie has a lot of potential and he is a player I would like to have.

Would take both of them.

Suppose this is it mate..

Not exactly serious.. but anyway, as Walter says.. he's always looking and the 'level' it seems is Dundee UTD? Nothing against Goodwillie btw.. Think he's a quality player. But.. as always, can he play for The Rangers - as Mr. Struth said.

Agreed (tu)

We don't want to be going to the Champions League just to make up numbers, none of these 2 have had any experience in that so i'd say no, theres bound to be better bargains.

Conways deliver is frightenly good. I think he'd really flourish in our team.

I also really think that Smith would get the best out of Goodwillie.

They may command a wee bit of money but I'd be pretty happy if we got them.

I'd be very surprised if we could pick up players for cheap who have a decent amount of CL experience.

We have to think of the SPL which is our bread and butter. Goodwillie and Conway are 2 good SPL players who could be good additions to our squad. Conway especially since he is a wide player and we are in desperate need of one of those.

I'd be very surprised if we could pick up players for cheap who have a decent amount of CL experience.

We have to think of the SPL which is our bread and butter. Goodwillie and Conway are 2 good SPL players who could be good additions to our squad. Conway especially since he is a wide player and we are in desperate need of one of those.

I always say you need to have some sort of ambition but if this is what the plan is with Ally and Walter to just win the SPL i can't object i just don't want to be embarrassed in Europe.

But i suppose we should be happy if we where to sign anybody. (tu)

I always say you need to have some sort of ambition but if this is what the plan is with Ally and Walter to just win the SPL i can't object i just don't want to be embarrassed in Europe.

We need to win the SPL to get into the Champions League though.

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

Conway is so one-footed it's unreal.

So are most young Scottish players who are coming through.

It also helps when its players who have played together before and have a good general knowledge of each other. Espically a winger and a striker as the winger will be providing the assist he and the frontman should have a good understanding.

We need to win the SPL to get into the Champions League though.

I don't deny that just wish we had more cash so we could put in a fight for both SPL and CL, maybe if we got a new owner.