Boston Globe attacks Rangers fans

Fury as US newspaper launches astonishing attack on Rangers fans

Apr 28 2010

RANGERS fans have reacted with fury to a report in a Boston-based newspaper which claims they were partly to blame for the Ibrox disaster which tragically claimed the lives of 66 people in 1971.

The Boston Globe has published an article today calling for the proposed Old Firm friendly in July not to be held in the city's Fenway Park stadium for security reasons and accuses Rangers fans of having "dragged the name of Glasgow through the mud".

The article lists a series of incidents involving Rangers supporters including the clashes with police in Manchester in 2008, the pitch invasion at the Cup Winners' Cup final in Barcelona in 1972 and even last Sunday's skirmishes with Hibernian fans at Easter Road.

However it is the allegation that fans "played a major part" in the Ibrox tragedy almost 40 years ago which has provoked anger.

It states: "Most notably, disaster struck at Rangers' Ibrox Stadium in 1971 following a crush-barrier failure, but it is widely accepted that the tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans played a major part in the 66 deaths that day (many of whom were children)."

The article goes on to claim: "Celtic by comparison, can be charged with ... well, not much at all."

Sixty-six people died and hundreds were injured when the barriers on stairway 13 gave way at Ibrox in the final minute of an Old Firm match in January 1971.

The barriers collapsed under the strain as thousands of Rangers fans left the stadium.

Celtic and Rangers are in talks to stage their first ever meeting outside of Glasgow in Boston in July.

The article calls for the match to be staged in the larger Gillette Stadium 21 miles outside the Massachusetts city.

http://www.<No links to this website>/2010/04/28/fury-as-us-newspaper-calls-for-old-firm-clash-to-be-held-outside-boston-86908-22218144/

Sorry if it's a repost, WTF .

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Mark Stokes

Concerts, Little League games and father-and-son days have worked at Fenway Park when the Red Sox are not in town, but the proposed Celtic-Rangers game, which could take place on the hallowed ground in July, is wrong on so many levels.

Monumental interest has been generated among local fans since this story aired last week, the brainchild of Sam Kennedy of the Fenway Sports Group. While Kennedy should be commended for his willingness to bring one of the greatest soccer experiences there is to our doorsteps, the reality is that Gillette Stadium is the only sensible option for such an event.

Few who witness an Old Firm game ever forget it – the pride, passion and banter generated at one of the world's biggest derby contests is second to none. Nothing this writer has experienced in the world of sports has ever compared with the rivalry between these clubs – just think of Game 7 of a Sox-Yankees ALCS, and multiply the intensity and multiply again.

For those who've not seen the happenings at Scotland's most passionate affair, a look (on YouTube) at a rendition of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' is sure to whet the appetite.

The fixture is a perfect fit for the Boston area given that both clubs will be in the United States at the time – Celtic scheduled to meet Manchester United in Toronto on July 16 or 17, while Rangers are reportedly locked into games in Miami and New York.

There’s little doubt that an Old Firm derby at Gillette Stadium would sell out, which raises questions initially about the wisdom of settling for Fenway, a venue half the size of Gillette. Sales of tickets for Gillette would see both clubs gross about $1 million each, which after all, is what had them interested in the first place.

Celtic has tens of thousands of fans across America, with some 13 supporters clubs located from coast to coast. The team will draw on that support and the thousands more traveling from Scotland, Ireland, Australia, and many other parts of the globe. Rangers, the newly minted Scottish champions, are also well catered to Stateside, all of which makes a carnival atmosphere and plenty of revenue for the city of Boston a slam dunk.

All roads point to Gillette Stadium for economic reasons, yet the bigger issue is one of security.

Old Firm contests have been associated with some of the worst violence seen in the game (having narrowly escaped the mayhem visited on north Dublin by Rangers fans in the 80's, I can vouch for that).

While it is recognized that not all Rangers fans involve themselves in extracurricular activity, one can't help wonder how the city of Boston will fare out after a Fenway game, should the Rangers faithful feel the need to express themselves, as they did in Manchester in 2008.

Following their team’s defeat in the UEFA Cup final, the blue clad fans left parts of Manchester in shambles and forced the local constabulary to don full riot gear to restore order.

But Rangers have a long history of violence on their travels, dating back decades. Who can forget their pitch invasion in Barcelona in 1972, which earned the club a one-year ban from European competition?

The same fans brought their particular brand of fanaticism to Romania last year, clashing with police who were forced to use tear gas. Back home last December, the unruly ones saw fit to engage the fans of Hibernian, for which one of their number received a five-month jail sentence and 10-year ban from all football stadia.

With Spanish police reporting Rangers violence in 2006 (Villareal) and 2007 (Barcelona), the list goes on and on, right up to Edinburgh last Sunday, where there was unrest between Rangers and Hibernian fans once again after the Blues won the Scottish title.

Most notably, disaster struck at Rangers’ Ibrox Stadium in 1971 following a crush-barrier failure, but it is widely accepted that the tensions between Celtic and Rangers fans played a major part in the 66 deaths that day (many of whom were children).

Celtic by comparison, can be charged with ... well, not much at all. A green and white clad fan invaded the pitch and struck the Vienna goalkeeper at Old Trafford in 1984, after the club was ordered to replay a European game.

If their archrivals have dragged the name of Glasgow through the mud, it must be said that Celtic fans have done their best to restore the good name. Indeed the same Manchester police who struggled to contain the Rangers fans commended Celtic’s for their behavior in a recent friendly vs. Manchester United.

If any evidence was needed as to the pedigree of supporters of the green and white, it surely comes from the Mayor of Seville, Alfredo Sanchez Monteseirin, who was so moved by Celtic's supporters that he wrote a letter to Glasgow’s Lord Provost Liz Cameron.

Having traveled to that city's Stadio Olimpico for the UEFA Cup final in 2003, Celtic fans, who numbered about 85,000 according to best estimates, just would not fit in the 60,000 seat facility. Thirty-five thousand ticket bearing Scotsmen made it inside the stadium while the remainder watched the game in local bars and parks.

"I would like to send publicly the congratulations of the City of Seville to the fans and, in general, to all the citizens of Glasgow. We hope to see you again in Seville on a similar occasion, when you will surely be luckier on the playing field."

Lord Provost Cameron said: "I am proud and delighted that the Mayor of such a lovely city as Seville has praised the Celtic fans so highly. I was in Seville for the game and saw how the fans created a party atmosphere. The fans were wonderful ambassadors for Glasgow and maintained the city’s good reputation across Europe."

Voicing his concerns about Fenway Park and Rangers fans marauding through Boston afterwards (and in the process giving a big thumbs up to Gillette Stadium), local Celtic Supporters Club chief Billy Ramsey says: “Segregation is going to be a major issue. Maybe if they gave them (Rangers) the bleachers and us the seats it might work.”

All things considered, the assumption must be that the Boston Police will be 'on top of their game' when Celtic and Rangers come to town. The BPD is reserving comment on the game until it is confirmed, I was informed by a department spokesperson on Tuesday.

An historic soccer game at Fenway Park is something we all want, but not at the cost of blood-stained faces, smashed store fronts and police sirens from Kenmore Square to Fanueil Hall. Celtic vs. Rangers at Fenway Park - let's hope it is remembered in years to come for all the right reasons.

Got it

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/blog/2010/04/celtic-rangers_1.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:soccer

What a load of twisted nonsense.

The article goes on to claim: "Celtic by comparison, can be charged with ... well, not much at all."

Says it all really, doesn't it?

Well a more capable unbiased journalist might have mentioned that they are the only 'Scottish' club to have to play behind closed doors; or the riot and FBOs at blackburn....

Give a dog a good name....

And our club want to play football in this F*nian town? Whoever wrote that should be dragged from his office and fucking hung, see how he feels about Rangers fans then.

Are those who were in favour of this friendly still happy for it to take place in the terrorist-loving capital of America?

Guest therabbitt

Pretty beeling at this blog to be honest. I'd say that his research was done on a Celtic forum.

Might have to email this gent and see if anything comes back.

Pretty beeling at this blog to be honest. I'd say that his research was done on a Celtic forum.

have you got any contact details for the journalist/cunt or the newspaper?

oh and btw without being extremely creepy, you were in my dream last night :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I'd suggest "Mark Stokes" has got his information from kerrydale st, or is a member at said site

His editor will be made aware of the startling coincidences between his "piece", and a similar piece on KDS, and he will also have the record set straight.

My view is that Rangers should NOT touch this with a bargepole.

oh and btw without being extremely creepy, you were in my dream last night :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Bd has posted a link where you can leave comments : post 10 in this thread (tu)

Bd has posted a link where you can leave comments : post 10 in this thread (tu)

cheers (tu)

Just in case this mad 'friendly' goes ahead, the demonisation of bears has begun.

How anybody does not see that we are being set up and should have nothing to do with this game is beyond me.

I agree. It would be up there with our poorer decisions to go there and play. I would rather sell a player than take part in this Oirish day celebration in Boston. Stories like this will put the Boston police force (who won't have dealt with this type of event before) on edge and I can only see a problems for our fans.

If anyone at Rangers had any balls they would a)wash their hands of this sham match and b) get in touch with Bostons version of the Daily Record and threaten legal action.

We are Rangers, we are not here to facilitate Celtic or their plastic paddy fans. We should not indulge their fantasies of being a world wide club with a fan base of 'billions'.

Just my opinion but if anyone does leave comments or contact this paper I think it's important to keep the language clean and make sure you are not abusive. There is little point in just calling the journalist a F*nian, or a cunt. (Although he clearly is).