Kris Boyd officially signs for Middlesbrough

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Bombay posted the other article:

Jul 4 2010 Mark Guidi, Sunday Mail

Kris Boyd has won two titles on the trot at Ibrox and now plans to bag his third - at Middlesbrough.

Subject to a medical in the next 24 hours, the ex-Rangers star will sign for Gordon Strachan's club and he is already aiming to help them win the Championship.

Boyd, who will form a strike partnership at the Riverside with former Old Firm rival Scott McDonald, is delighted to finally have his future sorted out after weeks of soul searching with no fewer than seven clubs on his trail.

Boyd told MailSport: "It's been a strange few weeks but I have now made a decision and hope to have everything finalised in the next day or so. Middlesbrough are a huge club and I just want to get into pre-season training as quickly as possible.

"I've met Gordon and know a number of the players such as Barry Robson, Scott McDonald and Lee Miller. It'll be good to have those guys around me.

"The manager is assembling a good squad and we are aiming for promotion back to the Premiership. There will be a pressure to deliver on that front.

"I know how good it feels to win a title. I've won them with Rangers and I want that feeling with Middlesbrough this season."

Boyd will sign a lucrative two-year deal with Boro after knocking back a whopping £2.7million-a-year deal from Shota Arveladze's Turkish side Kayserispor.

Boyd explained: "Shota made me an exceptional offer and I thank him and his club for that.

"If I only had money on my mind I would have gone there but that's not what I'm about.

"I have a family to consider and taking everything into account Middlesbrough is the best option."

Boyd also thanked Rangers for the five seasons he spent there.

He parted on excellent terms with Ibrox boss Walter Smith after the pair had a heart to heart just hours after they received the SPL trophy on the final day of the season.

The 26-year-old Scotland striker said: "Rangers have been a big part of my life and it was a privilege to play for them.

"To score so many goals in front of the Rangers fans was an amazing feeling. They made me feel so special.

"I'm also leaving behind lots of friends at the club such as Lee McCulloch and Davie Weir and I thank them for their support.

"I also want to thank Walter and his staff for their help and encouragement over the years.

"I hope Walter enjoys a successful season in his final year in charge."

While Boyd has now settled on Boro, former Rangers star Mark Walters last night warned the striker he has taken a step backwards and will be pining for his old club within a fortnight.

Walters insists adjusting to life away from Ibrox is not easy and admits he struggled to cope despite leaving in a big-money move for Liverpool in 1991.

The 46-year-old said: "Rangers are the best club I played for and even when I signed for Liverpool I missed being at Ibrox.

"Liverpool were also a huge club but it just wasn't the same as being at Rangers.

"There was such a great camaraderie at Rangers and you got a special feeling every morning when you walked into training.

"Walter Smith played a big part in that and now he's back I've heard the atmosphere is the same.

"You almost took it for granted but you don't get that feeling at many other places.

"It counts for so much as a footballer and I later discovered it was not normal to have that kind of team spirit. Boyd is about to learn the same thing.

"I'm certain that after a couple of weeks he will be thinking that leaving Rangers was a bad move."

Walters spent four years in Glasgow under Smith and Graeme Souness in the late 80s and early 90s and, like Boyd, he was a player in demand when he decided to move on.

The winger opted to follow Souness to Anfield where he won the FA and League Cups although he's not sure Boyd will continue the success he enjoyed at Ibrox south of the border.

He said: "While he might get more money at Boro he will be playing in the Championship rather than the Champions League.

"It all comes down to ambition. In your mid-to-late 20s the main aim as a professional footballer should be to win things.

"If Kris thinks it will be an easy ride going to a club where there is not the same expectation level then it will be a real culture shock.

"He's also used to playing and scoring in most games but that won't happen in England.

"It is hard to adjust from playing with a team that has the ball all the time and creates lots of chances. Rangers would probably have the ball 70 per cent of the time during games in the SPL.

"However, he won't get anywhere near the same service in England.

"You just can't be a one dimensiona l penalty-box player down there.

"If he can't add new facets to his game then I don't think it will go very well for him.

"But Boyd's biggest asset is his confidence and he will need all his self-belief to be a success."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/rangers/2010/07/04/kris-boyd-i-d-love-to-complete-hat-trick-of-league-wins-with-middlesbrough-86908-22381488/

i couldnt care less, your so wrong in my opinion

to think we dont make players millionnaires is madness

Of course we have in the past. How many years has Boyd been at Ibrox now? I can tell you he is not a millionaire or even close to it. But after signing for Boro he is now

you are sounding more like his agent with every post :lol:

he should be a millionnaire by now after what he has earned from wages, bonuses and endoresments in his career, if he isnt then there is a problem with him himself, as i said he doesnt seem to me to be the cleverest of people, especially when it comes to money and career moves

its not about money anyway, well it shouldnt be, it should be about success where it matters most, on the pitch, he may have already won the last trophy of his career last season

not that it matters but i would bet most of our first team will be multi millionnaires just now, of course they must be, most are on at least 10k a week, you only need 1 good contract duration to make your money, sadly some players want even more

dont really want to get into a debate or argument about this cunt with you anyway m8, hes not worth it

he wont be missed, i have faith our club will move on a someone else will get the goals against the lower 6 teams and im sure Walter will have someone else lined up to take our penalties

(tu)

You make valid arguments before then you start talking pish doh

:lol:

i disagree

hes a man short in big matches and is a shite footballer, i think hes not very intelligent, which i think he has proved throughout his career

so explain

1 You say he is not based around success, that is he ambitious...so when he knocked back Birmingham (for bigger money and playing in a far superior league) to stay and help Rangers win the league, was he stupid for his lack of ambition or was he ambitious for WINNING a league medal? Strachan has obviously done a job at convincing Boyd that Boro are ambitious and want to RETURN to the EPL

We never lost an Old Firm game Boyd started this season and im not 100% sure on the stats but I would hazard a guess at saying Boyd has scored more goals against the top 6 teams this season than he has in any other season?

2 Its all very well saying he wont be missed, and of course he wont if, as expected, we go on and continue to win matches in the SPL but god help us if we drop an abundance of points to "bottom 6" opposition next year...

I was as baffled and annoyed as anyone when I saw he had decided to join Boro but 3 I accept it and move on, thank him for his goals and some great moments and thats it

Oh how im going to miss this doh:BELM:

1 dont understand that part sorry m8

2 if we drop an abundance of points to lower 6 clubs next season it wont be coz we dont have KB in the team!! :lol: it will be down to the manager who is ultimately to be blamed or praised depending on uor success's, even with KB in the team in the last few seasons weve dropped points to teams we should be dropping points to, Walter is not blameless of course, but i backed him when he didnt play KB, i dont rate him at all.

3 so do i (tu) but the threads are still here, hes still being talked about and when folk(not u) post stuff like hes better off moving and its a good move etc etc then i have to post in defense of our club (tu)

Boyd to me proved he cant hack it against the better teams, in the last 6 months at Rangers he never kicked a ball, i stand by him being a man short in OF games and no use in Europe

no harm done, this KB pish is now and should be in the past (tu)

2 if we drop an abundance of points to lower 6 clubs next season it wont be coz we dont have KB in the team!! :lol: it will be down to the manager who is ultimately to be blamed or praised depending on uor success's

3 so do i (tu) but the threads are still here, hes still being talked about and when folk(not u) post stuff like hes better off moving and its a good move etc etc then i have to post in defense of our club (tu)

Boyd to me proved he cant hack it against the better teams, in the last 6 months at Rangers he never kicked a ball, i stand by him being a man short in OF games and no use in Europe

You say he is not based around success, that he isnt ambitious

You said it so I dont know how you dont understand the rest of my question but I have clarified my typing error... Boyd is moving to an ambitious club... wether those ambitions are likely to be met or not is a different matter :craphead:

Walter will ultimately get the blame but then people cant go on and on about how he only scores against the wee teams, then say he wont be missed, then complain IF we drop points against the wee teams...

I dont want to see Kris in a gers top again or even in Ibrox, No one in their right mind would go and play with the celtic reserves. I am sickened by him. give it a few week and bourc will be their aswell. It will all be 1 big happy tim family.

Give it 6months and the boyd threads will pop up again, because he will wont to come back :wink:

I dont want to see Kris in a gers top again or even in Ibrox, No one in their right mind would go and play with the celtic reserves. I am sickened by him. give it a few week and bourc will be their aswell. It will all be 1 big happy tim family.

Give it 6months and the boyd threads will pop up again, because he will wont to come back :wink:

2 if we drop an abundance of points to lower 6 clubs next season it wont be coz we dont have KB in the team!! :lol: it will be down to the manager who is ultimately to be blamed or praised depending on uor success's

You say he is not based around success, that he isnt ambitious

You said it so I dont know how you dont understand the rest of my question but I have clarified my typing error... Boyd is moving to an ambitious club... wether those ambitions are likely to be met or not is a different matter :craphead:

Walter will ultimately get the blame but then people cant go on and on about how he only scores against the wee teams, then say he wont be missed, then complain IF we drop points against the wee teams...

Ambitious club, i really have to disagree, its ok being ambitious whoever the club is but actually doing anything is a different matter, Boro are shite, Chesney is very lucky to still be in a job, if he hadnt signed so many wankers from the mhanks im pretty sure he would already be out a job

he did only score against the very weakest defenders, he wont be missed and i will be complaining like every other fan if we drop points to st johnstone or inverness again, fuck all to do with boyd though!! doh! that will be down to the manager obviously

KB is old news

I'll say 6 months before he's saying he wishes he'd stayed.

It needs to be somewhere I enjoy my football - that's crucial.

What would you enjoy more?: Playing in a half empty Riverside or at Ibrox in front of 45-50,000 every week?

I need a new challenge

How about playing Barca, Real, Chelsea, Man Utd, Milan e.t.c in the Champions League? That's a real challenge; not playing Scunthorpe and Doncaster.

I could've stayed but is it really going to get any better?

Yes. We got 2 points in one of the worst groups in the CL; just one win would be better than last season.

We gave up a 2 goal lead to Dundee Utd at home which led to us failing to win the Scottish Cup.

Our performances for a lot of the season were not good so there are plenty of ways in which next season could be 'better'.

If he put some effort in and improved his fitness and work rate, he could have got a move IMO to a team aiming for a top 6/7 spot in the England, Spain, Germany and Italy.

If he decided to stay with us, I've got no doubt he would have became a legend.

Good luck Kris but you've just made the worst decision of your career.

I'll say 6 months before he's saying he wishes he'd stayed.

It needs to be somewhere I enjoy my football - that's crucial.

What would you enjoy more?: Playing in a half empty Riverside or at Ibrox in front of 45-50,000 every week?

I need a new challenge

How about playing Barca, Real, Chelsea, Man Utd, Milan e.t.c in the Champions League? That's a real challenge; not playing Scunthorpe and Doncaster.

I could've stayed but is it really going to get any better?

Yes. We got 2 points in one of the worst groups in the CL; just one win would be better than last season.

We gave up a 2 goal lead to Dundee Utd at home which led to us failing to win the Scottish Cup.

Our performances for a lot of the season were not good so there are plenty of ways in which next season could be 'better'.

If he put some effort in and improved his fitness and work rate, he could have got a move IMO to a team aiming for a top 6/7 spot in the England, Spain, Germany and Italy.

If he decided to stay with us, I've got no doubt he would have became a legend.

Good luck Kris but you've just made the worst decision of your career.

:clap:

(tu)

Too many kids that have yet to step out into the real world are commenting. he has financially secured his and his kids futures by going to Boro, something he could not do at Rangers

Too many kids that have yet to step out into the real world are commenting. he has financially secured his and his kids futures by going to Boro, something he could not do at Rangers

absolute nonsense

doh!!

absolute nonsense

doh!!

How much was he on at Ibrox and how much did they offer him to stay?

Boyd has basically just slapped every Rangers fan in the face who's ever supported him, I hope the money grabbin WANKER rots down there.

Look at it from his point of view;

His availabilty had been circulated for the last 3 seasons and he kneww he wasn't wanted by the management."Strachan. has big plans and has made me feel wanted.

"

His "replacement", a non prolific scoring, would be striker, had been signed and still has to prove he can do the job but was on far higher wages.

Regularly dropped for european and big games.

Worked on other aspects of his game to the detriment of his natural talent but is criticised more.

While I would question his choice of club I certainly do not feel any antagonism to him and would question the lack of effort to keep him here.

:praise:

I wish him all the best, he'll certainly get double figures next season.

02 :rolleyes:

Glad we're rid of that fat waster now. Didn't look interesting for the last few months of the season, and to replace European football and winning trophies for playing in a team under than ginger rhat is just retarded. Glad we've got him to fuck now!

You don't think 18k a week would set him up for life?

Not when you compare it to £40k with an increase to £50k plus. Once you have kids nostalgia takes a big second place. I keep saying it but he has probably become a millionaire over night, if not now he will be in 6 months. How’s to say he wont get a career ending injury in the first game of the season?

Once you have kids life becomes about them and their future not your own pleasure and nostalgic notions. Trust me

If he was getting 18k a week, he would take home roughly 550k per year. Are you honestly saying this is not enough to make sure his family are financially secure?

I'm gonnae look for the odds for him to be top goalscorer.

Not available yet though.

It’s an interesting move for him, people forget that Boro are a very well run club. The owner Steve Gibson and his team are regarded as one of the best, if not the best run club in England. They don’t owe anyone money, they stick by their managers and have had great success over the years considering where they were 10-15 years ago. Ok they are in a dip right now but are obviously very ambitious to get back in the EPL.

Time will tell