Kevin Thomson signs for Middlesbrough

5cotland

As i said in another thread, thomson is the best option out of our 3 valuable midfield assets to get sold

at times he is a liability in the team. He can't play in any other position, and offers nothing in terms of goals

if we get 2 million for him and invest in a winger, the team will be far better off

We will not recieve 2m to re-invest, though.

Walter Smith says we will only have a 'percentage' of any fee we receieve to re-invest. Obviously, none of us know what that percentage is but if Hibs have a sell on clause then we'll have even less to re-invest. It just seems like we'll have to sell 2 or 3 before buying 1.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest therabbitt

As i said in another thread, thomson is the best option out of our 3 valuable midfield assets to get sold

at times he is a liability in the team. He can't play in any other position, and offers nothing in terms of goals

if we get 2 million for him and invest in a winger, the team will be far better off

We will not recieve 2m to re-invest, though.

Walter Smith says we will only have a 'percentage' of any fee we receieve to re-invest. Obviously, none of us know what that percentage is but if Hibs have a sell on clause then we'll have even less to re-invest. It just seems like we'll have to sell 2 or 3 before buying 1.

Walter would receive whatever portion of the £2million fee that is paid up front this season. This would be on top of the budget that has been agreed with Walter at the end of the last season when he was discussing whether to stay on this year.

hope he signs for boro, the last thing we need is another player putting the tools down at christmas then leaving for fuck all in the summer, 2m is great business for an injury prone non international in the final year of his contract

but he is an international...

Yes, played 45 minutes in a friendly,where he was replaced after a half of persistent fouling.

That's utter nonsense.

He also has 2 caps, he played in Leveins first game against the Czechs and against Northern Ireland at Hampden 2 years ago.

Sorry I didn,t realise he had played against N Ireland, but if you watched the Czech game all he did was give away free kicks.

a honestly can't believe we're letting one of our best players go so cheap and so easy :anguish:(td)

You can't believe we're selling a player for pretty decent money when he's only got 12 months left on his contract, shortly after losing arguably our most sellable asset on a free?

pretty decent money ?

the tims valued Lego-Eater at £14 million at one point, and Thommos twice the player of that tramp

they scumbags never punt their players for next to nothing, yet we accept the 1st offer we get ffs doh

I understand that Thomson had just twelve months to run on his current deal and our fingers were burnt with the Boyd situation, but it's an absolute brutality if Kev Thomson joins Middlesborough for £2M.

Bain (I think) said that we didn't have to sell, Boydy, Smith and Beasley are off the wage bill and Thomson wanted to stay. I'm not an accountant or anything like that, but doesn't that provide the oppertunity to offer Thomson a new deal?

We paid around £2M for Thomson and, if this goes through, we're selling a much better player at a zero profit.

It's sad that this great club has come to this sort of situation.

a honestly can't believe we're letting one of our best players go so cheap and so easy :anguish:(td)

You can't believe we're selling a player for pretty decent money when he's only got 12 months left on his contract, shortly after losing arguably our most sellable asset on a free?

pretty decent money ?

the tims valued Lego-Eater at £14 million at one point, and Thommos twice the player of that tramp

they scumbags never punt their players for next to nothing, yet we accept the 1st offer we get ffs doh

Oh so the tims valued lego-eater for £14million, hence that's what they'd get for him?

of course they wouldn't get it, but they valued him at it to keep clubs away, we should be doing that with our top players, or as you say in the last year of his contract 2 mils a good price, we could have at least negotiated a bit higher or a p/exchane (not miller), this would let other clubs know we're not just goin to roll over at the first sign of a £

of course they wouldn't get it, but they valued him at it to keep clubs away, we should be doing that with our top players, or as you say in the last year of his contract 2 mils a good price, we could have at least negotiated a bit higher or a p/exchane (not miller), this would let other clubs know we're not just goin to roll over at the first sign of a £

So we should've come out and said "Thomson is worth £8million! Yes, I know he's only got 12 months left on his contract." Lets face it, Thomson is in hte catagory of players that the club would sell if a decent offer came in. Trying to outprice clubs is pointless, especially when others know he's not worth that.

And who's to say we didn't try and negotiate a better deal? Do you know how the discussions went down? I certainly don't. But if £2million is the most Boro (or anyone) is willing to pay, and we find it a realistic bid, then we're hardly going to say no. Especially not when that money can be reinvested.

surely we could have got more than 2 mil for Thomson, especially when the rags were saying boro could offer 4 mil for him last week

we shouldn't be letting mediocre teams, or any team for that matter call the shots when dealing with us

KEVIN THOMSON will leave Rangers for Middlesbrough if he can conclude personal terms with the Championship side.

The midfield star, who was one of Walter Smith's first signings on his return in January 2007, is now set to be reunited with Kris Boyd at the Riverside.

Smith explained that there were a number of factors which led to the move taking place.

He said: "We have agreed a fee with Middlesbrough so now it's done to personal terms and we should not later if the deal has gone through or otherwise.

"I did say last week that we had number of players going into the final year of their contracts and that we might have to look at offers if any came in,

"That was followed by headlines that we are selling all of our players but we're not and we don't have to sell a player.

"However, there are two sides to the Thomson deal in that he is going into the last year of his contract and from the player's point of view Middlesbrough can maybe offer more long term security than he can have here.

"So we have that to take into account for all players and that's what's happened in the case of Kevin.

"We have had difficult decisions to make before and hopefully it will work out for all concerned."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100714/thommo-on-his-way_2254024_2092363

i dont get how he was linked for almost 3million last week and that included a player, but now its only 2, am i mising something? <cr>

Maybe, just maybe, the papers made that one up.

oh is that where it came from kev?, i just saw fans talking about that figure last week, wasnt sure where it came from

fuckin rhags, eh!?!

(tu)

my own personal opinion, but i think people are deluded if they think £2M is a bad price, or that this somehow will be a bad move. i reckon we will do just fine without thomson, and i think that this will be a sound bit of business :wink:

i dont get how he was linked for almost 3million last week and that included a player, but now its only 2, am i mising something? <cr>

oh is that where it came from kev?, i just saw fans talking about that figure last week, wasnt sure where it came from

fuckin rhags, eh!?!

(tu)

There was nothing official from either club (tu)

Although maybe we've got into negotiations and managed to negotiate a £2million deal as long as we don't get Lee Miller :lol:

Aye, knowing Bain, weve started high and worked our way lower :lol:

fuckin rhags, eh!?!

(tu)

There was nothing official from either club (tu)

Although maybe we've got into negotiations and managed to negotiate a £2million deal as long as we don't get Lee Miller :lol:

:lol:

im delighted hes been left out the deal, over the moon

cheers kev

(tu)

If KT has turned down an extended deal at whatever figure we could afford to pay him and thinks going to Chesney is in his best interests, then best of luck to him.

Nobody knows what figure has been agreed for him, so until the financial books are shown, it's all hypothesis, so I don't know why our fans are getting their knickers in a knot over it.

would you prefer he done a Boyd and went for fuck all next year? I wouldn't, no matter how much I rate him as a player.

Rangers move for Chris Eagles hangs in balance - as Thomson refuses to leave Ibrox without pay-off

KEVIN Thomson's £2million switch to Middlesbrough was sensationally thrown into doubt last night.

Record Sport can reveal that Thomson is demanding a pay-off to leave as he feels he is being pushed out the door but Gers will be reluctant to pay him anything.

He is in Middlesbrough and will take a medical today but the midfielder won't agree to a move until he is given compensation for the final year of his contract.

And in another twist last night the Ibrox club's attempt to land Chris Eagles in a £2.5m deal was also hanging in the balance.

Burnley and Gers have agreed their part of the bargain but the 24-year-old midfield player headed back across the border to gather his thoughts.

The former Manchester United kid went home to discuss the move with his family and Gers expect a yes or a no in the next 24 hours.

Earlier yesterday it was assumed he would sign but he has asked for more time.However, Walter Smith, who is committed to allowing Steve Davis to play in centre midfield, is determined to land Eagles .And the boss clearly feels Eagles, who lost his way after storming through the ranks at Manchester United reaching Champions League level, could bring something different to Rangers.

Smith said: "He is a good player. We watched him at Burnley and if he signs it could be a good help for us but we will wait and see."Decision Eagles was once seen as the rising star of Manchester United but fell away and after having been loaned out he was signed by Burnley .Now, however, he could grab the chance to get back to the top by regaining his best form with Rangers.

Meanwhile, Ibrox chairman Alastair Johnston insists any possible sale of Thomson would be Smith's decision and the manager has not been forced to offload players .

Johnston claims Smith is not under pressure to drive down the club's debts and says the veteran boss, along with chief executive Martin Bain, would sanction any potential move.He said: "The decision on who stays and who goes rests with the manager.

"It is not being imposed upon him by the board."We are also not in a race to spend more than the competition.

"We want to be smarter about it but there is money available.

"It is not just automatic that if you have got money you go and get a player tomorrow."

http://www.&lt;No links to this website&gt;/football/spl/rangers/2010/07/15/rangers-move-for-chris-eagles-hangs-in-balance-as-thomson-refuses-to-leave-ibrox-without-pay-off-86908-22414058/

And in another twist last night the Ibrox club's attempt to land Chris Eagles in a £2.5m deal was also hanging in the balance

Really, thought it was £1.3m ... dunno if he is worth £2.5m.

I think the Record has mis-typed here.

Rangers move for Chris Eagles hangs in balance - as Thomson refuses to leave Ibrox without pay-off

KEVIN Thomson's £2million switch to Middlesbrough was sensationally thrown into doubt last night.

Record Sport can reveal that Thomson is demanding a pay-off to leave as he feels he is being pushed out the door but Gers will be reluctant to pay him anything.

He is in Middlesbrough and will take a medical today but the midfielder won't agree to a move until he is given compensation for the final year of his contract.

And in another twist last night the Ibrox club's attempt to land Chris Eagles in a £2.5m deal was also hanging in the balance.

Burnley and Gers have agreed their part of the bargain but the 24-year-old midfield player headed back across the border to gather his thoughts.

The former Manchester United kid went home to discuss the move with his family and Gers expect a yes or a no in the next 24 hours.

Earlier yesterday it was assumed he would sign but he has asked for more time.However, Walter Smith, who is committed to allowing Steve Davis to play in centre midfield, is determined to land Eagles .And the boss clearly feels Eagles, who lost his way after storming through the ranks at Manchester United reaching Champions League level, could bring something different to Rangers.

Smith said: "He is a good player. We watched him at Burnley and if he signs it could be a good help for us but we will wait and see."Decision Eagles was once seen as the rising star of Manchester United but fell away and after having been loaned out he was signed by Burnley .Now, however, he could grab the chance to get back to the top by regaining his best form with Rangers.

Meanwhile, Ibrox chairman Alastair Johnston insists any possible sale of Thomson would be Smith's decision and the manager has not been forced to offload players .

Johnston claims Smith is not under pressure to drive down the club's debts and says the veteran boss, along with chief executive Martin Bain, would sanction any potential move.He said: "The decision on who stays and who goes rests with the manager.

"It is not being imposed upon him by the board."We are also not in a race to spend more than the competition.

"We want to be smarter about it but there is money available.

"It is not just automatic that if you have got money you go and get a player tomorrow."

http://www.&lt;No links to this website&gt;/football/spl/rangers/2010/07/15/rangers-move-for-chris-eagles-hangs-in-balance-as-thomson-refuses-to-leave-ibrox-without-pay-off-86908-22414058/

Since when did this deal go up to 2.5 million?

I really hope the KT deal falls through but as usual, no quotes, no nothing.

If the daily rebel is to be believed KT is wanting a payoff from rangers for the remaining 12 months of his deal before he leaves

if this is true bain has to play hard ball tell him to GTF and if he doesn't go just freeze him out for the rest of his deal let him sit in the stand

how much Money have we payed this greedy kunt while he has been injured he has a fukin cheek asking for this

If the daily rebel is to be believed KT is wanting a payoff from rangers for the remaining 12 months of his deal before he leaves

if this is true bain has to play hard ball tell him to GTF and if he doesn't go just freeze him out for the rest of his deal let him sit in the stand

how much Money have we payed this greedy kunt while he has been injured he has a fukin cheek asking for this

Wait a minute, Declan. No quotes, no nothing. The only bit I believe is that he is being pushed out the door.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Rangers media (the club, not this website!) machine in motion, to try and appease so many pissed off fans.